Short motor not covered under used warranty?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Need advice, my mother bought a Getz from a Hyundai dealer in Randalstown, in march this year with 1 years warranty, it developed a misfire which we left in to have looked at they informed us that the customer pays the diagnostic fee and they will apply to the warranty company to authority to repair the fault. That wasn't a major issue we left the car in with them, heard nothing for a few days then phoned to ask about progress then asked for more diagnostic time for carry out further checks, this was agreed then heard nothing for a full week then phoned again about progress they asked for more time again, this was agreed again.

Heard nothing since last Friday and we phone today to ask what the fault was to be told its needs a short motor due to a broken crank. Totalling £2000 and they won't cover it.

I'm not sure what's broken about it as the details aren't clear yet until we can get more details.

Anyone have anything like this. Where does she stand legally?

Just to add there's 56000 miles on it 2010 car

Last edited:

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Complete block of a engine. Not including the head.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
If she bought the car from a Hyundai dealer and has an attached / documented 1 year warranty I find it hard to see how they can wash their hands from it entirely.

A quick google shows it's a 'common fault' on some forums and honest john etc but also that others were left high and dry with a £2k bill. They also mention there was an updated crank and / or part number once this was first recognised;

16TH JAN 2008 HYUNDAI RELEASED A TSB CONCERNING WRONG BOLT FITTED TO END OF CRANKSHAFT WHICH IF COMES LOOSE ENGINE GOES BANG.

If it was myself I'd ask what exactly is covered under the warranty and in particular why this isn't covered (try to get this in writing), then attempt to escalate it to their equivalent of Hyundai UK.

If it came to it, a 30 minute consultation and letter from a solicitor could also work wonders but I'm guessing the dealer has referred this to Hyundai who have said no to covering it.

If it was a clutch or other 'consumable' item then fair enough, but a crank to me doesn't fall into that category.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Seen it seems to be a common fault reports of the crank worn out causing the piston to not hit tdc causing the misfire however the said the crank is broken.
A wear and tear item like clutch is fine I'd accept that, but not a engine rebuild due to a common fault.
Was thinking of all the Hyundai uk and legal letter, but people on here are usually very knowledgeable with these sorts of things.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Never had any kind of booklet just on the receipt it says 1 years warranty.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The fact it is common...is all the more reason the warranty should cover it !

If a warranty doesnt cover a major engine failure like that, WTF is it supposed to cover ?

Get that one onto some of them radio programs, or anywhere it can get good publicity. That's crazy

Although from a misfire to a broken crankshaft......something doesnt make a lot of sense there. Unless it was something rather more substantial than a misfire.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Never had any kind of booklet just on the receipt it says 1 years warranty.

The fact that you have the receipt that states one years warranty would (to me) suggest that the hard bit on your part is done, insofar as proving you had a warranty in place.

If the warranty doesn't cover an actual terminal engine failure then I don't know what it would actually cover.

Don't get too worked up with the dealer, I'd try to get as much from them in writing first (even emails) and then proceed with it.

Edit: It seems even Parkers has it documented under common problems etc which does make it all the more nonsensical that they'd try to turn away from it. Hyundai Getz (02-09) 1.1 GSI 5d (05) Owners' Reviews | Parkers

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
If the crank was "broken" why did they need all that diagnosis time? Was it knocking or just lumpy?

Anyway, it should definitely be a warranty item and you should get your diagnosis money back as well as extra expenses you are going to incur such as taxi's or hire of another car.

Was the car serviced just prior to or during your ownership? That may also help to show that you looked after the car by properly servicing/maintaining it.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
The car was driving it just misfired under load. Details arnt great atm but the main outcome is it needs a block at £2000 which isnt covered.

Thanks for the input.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Stand your ground with Hyundai. They have a duty to make a car last for 10 years/150000 miles with only "reasonable" service on wear and tear items. If they fit anything wrong to the car, then they are liable to correct any damage caused to the car by their negligence. Just make a nuisance of yourself. Get in touch with Autocar who love to champion such causes.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
I wonder would the update mentioned above not being carried out effect the warranty claim on those grounds? Suppose it depends on if it was declined or not offered..

@SMcP114 you love **** about warranties etc lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I wonder would the update mentioned above not being carried out effect the warranty claim on those grounds? Suppose it depends on if it was declined or not offered..

@SMcP114 you love **** about warranties etc lol

If Hyundai didnt recall the vehicle for the modification, then it cant be the new owners fault. If they did pursue the recall but a previous owner perhaps refused...well it still isnt the current owners fault.

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
In his tv adverts the line was "we bend over backwards for our customers". In your position I'd research and gather information on the "known" fault and present your case directly with the dealer principal. If he declines to help ask for the refusal in writing. There are no short term fixes if he refuses to help unless the car is on a finance agreement. If it is I can advise you further on the way forward.

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Is this a Hyuandi garage you bought it from?

Small claims te ****, should be black and white especially if you weren't explained the conditions of the warranty or given any documents regarding it.

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
Nickyyy post above is the obvious "I know my rights" reply. Whilst not completely wrong there is a smarter and quicker way circumstances prevailing. Small claims is possibly 12 months away from the initial complaint, meanwhile you have no car and the legal system is fed.

jincam

RMS Regular
Drives
Gt coupe
If its still motd and taxed put a forklift on the roof. Wait to it snows and use said forklift to set the car in the hedge. Blame the snow for the crank. It might be insurance fraud but who's worse you or Hyundai failing to cover an engine blowing up. I don't see too many people walking around Hyundai garages asking to lift the bonnet and asking to get a look in the sump oh and can you pop the rocker cover and head off too while your at it.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Diagnosis time was probably more them waiting on an answer fron hundy.. known fault or not, id be amazed if a good portion of this doesnt get covered by the warntee or hundy.
Good luck getting it sorted, some sound advice in some of the posts above.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Got more info today, the fault is the crack shaft timing pulley has worn the crankshaft where they meet. The crank shaft cant be purchased separately therefore thats the reason they say it needs the short motor. Also they tried to weld the pulley the the crank which they have said works ok for now but they wont guarantee it will last. Why try it then?
The warranty company (motorway direct) wont cover the cost of repairs as its the results of a wore and tear fault and not total failure.
its a very common fault from reading different forums and also Hyandai have released a tsb about the fault.
Thinking of how best to move forward with it?
the fault happens over a long period of time so thinking the damage was partly done before my mother purchased it. is that good grounds to try and work on?

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
In his tv adverts the line was "we bend over backwards for our customers". In your position I'd research and gather information on the "known" fault and present your case directly with the dealer principal. If he declines to help ask for the refusal in writing. There are no short term fixes if he refuses to help unless the car is on a finance agreement. If it is I can advise you further on the way forward.

The service manager has already refused any sort of goodwill with it, but not in writing.
The car is on finance.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
CAB or trading standards.

If they're admitting the fault is wear and tear of sorts, albeit through a common fault, good chance it was like this at time of purchase and hence not fit for purpose and the dealer could well have known about the problem and they failed to disclose it

I'd be surprised if the crank isnt available separately, but there may be other damage hence a short motor probably makes more sense anyway

Steve C

RMS Regular
Can you not contact the finance company and reject the car? You should consider taking legal advice.

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
Use the finance company as your lever against them. If it is a company they finance others with on a daily basis your complaint , and threat to reject the goods, will instigate the finance house to get involved. They wont want to be lumbered with a broken car either. Hard to understand why a complete engine failure is not covered by warranty. The warranty is most likely a bought third party type who specialize in the term "wear and tear". This does not void the dealership from liability in providing a car reasonably fit for purpose.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.