Short motor not covered under used warranty?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
I wouldn't be washing your hands of it, at least contact Hyundai directly first and see what they say. What Pabs said is a good shout.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
The warranty wont cover the engine as its through a wear and tear fault.
Have been readi g about rejecting a car on finance which was taking through the dealer however it says its bot possible after 6 months of ownership if the reason is due to a fault?

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
The warranty wont cover the engine as its through a wear and tear fault.
Have been readi g about rejecting a car on finance which was taking through the dealer however it says its bot possible after 6 months of ownership if the reason is due to a fault?

Have you spoke to your finance company yet? Pressure from the finance company can sometimes help the dealer buckle and repair the fault.
Crazy how they are washing their hands of it!

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
No they havnt been informed yet. The dealer have said over the phone they would lower the labour rate as a goodwill thing but thats not enough. They wont email their offer to us for some reason.
What way is the finance approched? In writing or phone call? Do we explain the situation and see what they say.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
At this stage if it were me I would be ringing the finance company and explaining the situation to them irrespective of it being after 6 months, especially for a car bought with additional 12 month warranty. They have a vested interest in the vehicle and will have alot of clout & may well be able to get you all the answers you need and want, including an outcome to the situation sooner than you think.

I would also send an email to the dealer asking all the questions that you've failed to get an answer to (in writing), it doesn't matter if they don't reply as long as you have it on record when you asked the questions again (in a more formal manner).

Keep a log / diary of every date, time, visit, phonecall you've had and end up having with them. Write down who you spoke with, what was said and what was then to happen etc - this is extremely useful if it ever goes anywhere like court but also gives you a far better grounding than them for making a case. It sounds pedantic but if things ended up getting drawn out even to small claims then it gives you a very simple timeline to refer to.

If speaking to the finance company fails or isn't to your satisfaction then I would contact a solicitor for a 30 minute consultation with a view to the result being them sending a letter to the dealer with a few questions. I can't stress enough though not just to go to any random solicitor as it's shocking how good some are in comparison to how bad some are in relation to issues like this (and their rates don't always reflect this). You can normally get a rough idea if they have a clue during a quick phonecall but bare in mind most will just try to get you to book an appointment. If you do go down this route then have a scan over what people love to quote in terms of the Sales of goods act and the later consumer rights act (specifically about used cars) as a method by which to know if the solicitor you contact is able to rhyme this off on the spot (as they should).

I'd imagine you may be looking at £60 - £100 if you initially involve a solicitor but this should get you your meeting, letter sent and a copy of whatever the dealer / warranty company come back to them with and advice on how to then proceed. However it could be money very well spent as normally people only 'threaten' to go down a legal route and most seldom bother. It also helps to alleviate the stress of the situation and knowing that you're doing all you can.

Keep everything very simple in your communication with the finance company and also any legal parties / solicitor. The onus is not on you to determine what the fault is, if it's common, what caused it and why it's not covered (In legal terms it can be alot more black and white such as you bought a car, financed over 3 years, took out extra insurance in terms of warranty and it's failed in catastrophic fashion within the first year and could not have been spotted by someone who is not an expert in the field). In essence you have a car which you financed, it's now had a terminal failure and neither the dealer or warranty company are covering it, as you don't have anything in writing yet it's hard to convey accurately to the finance folks or a solicitor exactly what the situation is as some of the communication or information shared so far could be denied or 'massaged' by them. I imagine it's going to come down to their definition of 'wear and tear' but the fact they've also tried to botch fix it isn't going to help their stance at all.

Sorry for the wall of text, I know what it's like to be stuck in a crap situation like this from both the buyer and the seller point of view and in each case the above was what got me through (although no finance was involved).

colin84

RMS Regular
The above is good info. I would be getting onto the finance company ASAP, say that your paying for a car that is not fit for purpose. If anyone can apply the pressure it will be the finance company, it is there car untill it's paid for and they certainly won't want it back in it's current state.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Been in contact with the finance company (niib) today they have said they will get involved and send some sort of letter to the dealer. They wouldnt give too much details apart from the would be in contact with us again in the middle of next week.

Thank for all the advice and suggestions so far. Still may need more soon.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the car is not fit for purpose, engine ****ed assisted by their "mechanics" damaging it further by trying to weld bits to it, it's amazing the finance company arent cracking up.

Presumably you can't wipe your hands of paying the finance and handing the car back to them if they dont deal with it ?

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
The finance company i think want their side of the story before they comment i think.

I dont think it can be hand back at this stage from what ive been reading online that can be done for the first 30 days or if purchased after october 2015 after 6 months although i might be wrong in saying that.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Going to citizens advice tomorrow but not hoping too much from them, the finance company haven't been great and won't answer any questions apart from saying its with our claims department.
Looking down the route of rejecting the car and accepting to lose what has been paid off it soo far, who's the best people to help with this process?
Times moving on, the dealer took their loan car back and my mother needs a car for work purposes.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
Just to update this.

Got the car back today fully. Repaired.
Took a lot of work to the finance company, customer services and the chairman of Hyundai's Twitter page finally got a result which we where willing to accept.
Still not entirely happy with the warranty company (which is now with the financial ombudsman)
From a £2000 repair, Hyundai uk and the dealer agreed to cover a lot of the cost my mother paid £282 towards the final bill.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice.

steviestdi

RMS Regular
OP
steviestdi
Drives
Bora&Impreza sti
it got a new bare block with crankshaft.
Belt, plugs, pulley and lower timing cover. Then a few of gaskets fluids and filter made up the invoice.

Still waiting on a full invoice as the one we got was for the total which was paid and a description of what was done. They think we aren't entitled to the full invoice as we weren't the paying customer. I informed them we were and just not entitled to know the price paid.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.