Buying cars in england

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

shaughey

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 530D
I'm going england on sat to bring a car back. I'm after an Alfa GT jtd and finding it hard to source one

Anyone know the best places to go auctions, websites etc

I've looked all the usual suspects but no luck so far

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
As above, never done it the way you're planning!

The process has always been;

1. Fire up the computer to check emails
  2. Open Pistonheads classifieds for a laugh
  3. Spot something and go "Oooh"
  4. Read the ad and fall in love
  5. Convince yourself MPG is meaningless anyway
  6. Call the seller
  7. Land at Stansted/Luton/Holyhead/Heathrow/Aberdeen the next day and drive home

shaughey

RMS Regular
OP
shaughey
Drives
E60 530D
Haven't booked any flights yet. Need to find one asap tho. is there any auctions worth going to in london

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Haven't booked any flights yet. Need to find one asap tho. is there any auctions worth going to in london

You'd be mad to head to London and buy a car at auction!

Get on Autotrader, eBay and Pistonheads, there has to be a load of them for sale over there!

shaughey

RMS Regular
OP
shaughey
Drives
E60 530D
Im not going to spend 5k for one. I'v been trying to get one for weeks. Every ebay one i'v went for has been removed before the end of auction whit people buying them when they go to view. I'm going to england for a week not just for a car. So ill have plenty of time to get around and find one i like.

Back to my first question
What websites are best for english cars? iv been on pistonheads ebay gumtree is their any others?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
@Artoir Missed out 6b call mate to head over with you for a bit of banter

Not a fan of 6b, having went out and came home empty handed... its one extra persons costs to cover should it go tits up and the car is a parcel and nothing else suits. I go alone :grinning:

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Ebay, pistonheads and car owner forums are usually the best place. Go to where owners hang out online. Don't forget to take English notes with you as they tend not to like our "foreign" notes.

Lostinspace

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
Flew over a few Friday nights ago to newcastle, went out in town on the Friday night and then my mate drove me around a few cars on the Saturday. Looked at 3 cars, bought the 3rd one, drove straight to cairnryan, 4.15am boat home then straight home to bed lol.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I bought a car via a broker. Told him what I wanted, he went looking until he found one he was happy with, and I flew over, paid him, and Brought it home after an afternoon driving in north Wales.

shaughey

RMS Regular
OP
shaughey
Drives
E60 530D
This will be my first time over for a car. I can see it getting stressful quickly. The idea of a broker is very tempting Ghisallo did you find one online?

johnm

RMS Regular
Get on the Alfa forums. thats where I picked up my 156 for very little cash and great nick.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I was recommended a guy called Adam Cooper either by a garage that my wife had used for some service work, or by some people that worked with her in Chester -I can't remember which! His company is called acprocar based near Wrexham .Basically he did the leg work and sourced and acquired the car which I then bought from him.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
In all seriousness. Take your time, narrow down a few cars and then make contact with the sellers.

Call them if a number is there. People don't take texts and emails seriously as it is without them coming from someone foreign (English honestly do believe Norn Iron is the other side of the world).

Reassure them you're not a pikey or a nigerian scammer and then find out all the information you need. Maybe ask about a few quid off once there's a bit of a rapport, then get onto skyscanner and start looking at flights and then Google Maps to work out the quickest way home. Arrange a time and go get it.

I've never had to do it, but in the event that you turn up and it's not described, have a few backup plans in place. Look on Autotrader, etc for other options in vicinity even if it's not something you particularly want, just something you can punt on sharpish and maybe even cover your costs (think VAG) and go lift one of them if you need to.

shaughey

RMS Regular
OP
shaughey
Drives
E60 530D
The prices arn't all that great from most of the stuff i'v looked at. I assume it was a bigger price difference a few years ago. I'm almost giving up on the Alfa GT but ill be over anyway so ill see if I can find anything. I'm not a fan of auctions in general, iv seen some of the scrap that's came through the auctions here but ill have a look at BCA.

The last thing i'd want is to get stuck in england with no tools etc

johnm

RMS Regular
The Alfa forums are atrocious for buying/selling stuff. You'd be as well sending an email to yourself and save the hassle as your the only person will ever see the ad...

Exactly. I got that 156 sw 1.9jtd with 104k genuine (& verified) miles for £700 and he even threw in another set of alloys.
Said he had it for over a month and no interest in it, didnt have it advertised elsewhere either.
Its gems like that can pop up on it (y)

Dave..

RMS Regular
From my own experience make sure you have some breakdown cover that will get you home if it quits on the way. I bought an old Land Rover and drove it from Manchester to the Liverpool boat
but it quit at the docks and had to be towed onto the boat and off again in Belfast, my breakdown cover got a low loader to pick us and it up and bring us home.
Best £35 I ever spent.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.