1997 Ferrari F355 Spider

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
OP
Ghisallo
Had some unexpected Italian company at a gathering this weekend. The owner managed to avoid all eye contact, which I was more than pleased about!

A25D17F8-CE1F-40CE-A57F-14860EB2E981.jpeg

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
OP
Ghisallo
How much is a belt? Have you had to do a clutch yet?

The cost of the belt service will depend on whether the it’s done with engine in or out. £1700-3000 maybe? (Though I think that includes the oil service too?). It would be cheaper done in England. Initial plan was to do it with engine in, but I’m thinking of getting Tubistyle manifolds so that might inevitably mean the engine out. No idea about the cost of a clutch!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
The cost of the belt service will depend on whether the it’s done with engine in or out. £1700-3000 maybe? (Though I think that includes the oil service too?). It would be cheaper done in England. Initial plan was to do it with engine in, but I’m thinking of getting Tubistyle manifolds so that might inevitably mean the engine out. No idea about the cost of a clutch!
That's a large difference there! 3k for belt and oil! Is that just Ferrari tax?! Not saying why does it not cost the same as a Fiesta, but bloody hell.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
OP
Ghisallo
Got some good news, manifolds can be removed with engine in situ. Don’t know why I didn’t know that before now, but hey. So the RH manifold is out and ready for the afterlife, with its LH brother to follow.

AEBD9536-D34E-4218-A52C-46E4BB3A357B.png

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
OP
Ghisallo
TIL: The word manifold comes from the Old English word manigfeald (from the Anglo-Saxon manig[many] and feald [fold]) and refers to the folding together of multiple inputs and outputs.

FB61849F-D89B-4775-8C38-5345B697A5B8.jpeg

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
OP
Ghisallo
Ouchy, I had always thought timing belt required engine out on 355, and 360 onwards didn't.

On the F355 it can be done with the engine in, but requires removal of the fuel tank and a bit of manoeuvring. At first I understand that doing it that way was unorthodox, however that’s what many official franchises do.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
This must be a real nice car to drive and I am sure it sounds immense do you have any sound clips?

gleyland44

RMS Regular
Drives
Noble M12's
That's a really nice pairing you've got there! Where do you get the F355 serviced?
I'm not sure who he has used in the past but it went through a pretty big restoration about 2 years ago with George McMillan and hasn't been out much since. Such a shame as it really is one of my favourites to drive.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
OP
Ghisallo
This must be a real nice car to drive and I am sure it sounds immense do you have any sound clips?
Sadly, no sound clips which do it justice. It's just a standard exhaust, but with some sort of sports cats, and it sounds really angry at idle. It's a very nice drive, though you have to go really hard and at high revs to get the full experience, which happens above 4000-5000rpm and silly speeds. Makes me wonder what a waste of performance are modern 700+ bhp supercars.