2013 countryman key issue

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
20240429_105836.jpg

Wife's 2013 countryman has started having an issue starting. Locks and unlocks fine, but put the key in the wee barrel and no lights on dash, pushing the start/stop button does nothing. Only if you press down and kind of wiggle it does it then sometimes work.

Anyone any ideas if it's the key is goosed or the ignition slot needs replaced?
pic01.jpg

Ignition slot is about £130 new and keys will be circa £200 for a new reprogrammed one, but reluctant to pay for one and find out its the other! 🙈

Oh and I've only one key so can't even try a spare ffs 🙄

dddrrift

RMS Regular
most key copy places can test the remote and transponder for you. If it tests good then go with a new slot maybe. Prob more likely a duff key key though as its getting rattled around more

edit, just noticed your in ards, take it over to marlow cleaners in bangor and get them to test it

r16vka

RMS Regular
OP
r16vka
Drives
Audi 80 V6
"a good second hand one off a tested car" this is the problem, theres loads of ignition switches on ebay (some with two keys included?) for circa £20-30 but no way of knowing if they work as they should!

The biggest issue here is if i order one second hand and it doesnt fix the problem, then ive my wife to deal with lol :joy:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Apologies for the thread hijack.

Not exactly the same issue but I was starting my sisters 2016 countryman, which needed jumped as the battery was dead. I left it running for a long time but when I stopped it, the DRL's wouldn't go off. Apparently that's what flattened the battery before. Any ideas?

Last edited: