2014 Urban Tiger Blade

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Most of you probably already seen this, but thought I'd stick a wee thread up as I'll be doing a few wee bits and pieces to it and always handy to document it.

Anyways, this didn't meet reserve on ebay last week and I'd been talking with the owner flat out, agreed a price on 2nd chance offer and deal done.

I'd always wanted an original urban tiger in 1994, so when Honda painted 106 of these in 2014 as a 20th anniversary special I wanted one really bad. No chance back then though.

With the S1000RR away and a space where it sat, this just made sense. A third of the value, already depreciated(hopefully), but still a litre superbike and as much fun, albeit with no electronic aids which is both nice to be old school and terrifying at same time 😂

Couriers were too dear, so flew to Luton yesterday, 5 trains then got to a wee farm in Norwich to lift it.

Bike was as advertised, had previously been on display with the original model for 3 years in a concert promoters office in Bournemouth.

Rode home via Snake Pass and Cat and Fiddle in the worst conditions I've ever been in, even in a car lol. Full on rivers flowing across roads, floods, oncoming traffic soaking me with waves, waterproofs no longer waterproof, was just fully miserable. Good craic though.

Home now, quick wash and polish and looking forward to getting out a proper blast and a spot of tinkering!

20230704_190041.jpg
20230704_190113.jpg
20230704_194703.jpg
20230704_195208.jpg
20230704_204921.jpg
20230704_212803.jpg
20230705_062940.jpg
20230705_115024.jpg
20230705_122850.jpg

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I have no clue about bikes, but that looks class! Next on your shopping list should be an original Urban Tiger to sit along side it. 😎

I did the Cat and Fiddle in the Morgan a couple weeks ago, it was a great drive. I did the The Snake Pass as well but it was mostly road works when I was there. 👎

IMG_1307.jpeg

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
I have no clue about bikes, but that looks class! Next on your shopping list should be an original Urban Tiger to sit along side it. 😎

I did the Cat and Fiddle in the Morgan a couple weeks ago, it was a great drive. I did the The Snake Pass as well but it was mostly road works when I was there. 👎

View attachment 403109

Class photo that mate, bet that road was great fun in the Morgan! Shame about the roadworks, none for me luckily enough but water that was good few inches deep flowing across the road lol. Yeah would love an original as well at some point

Class @gav525 . Grew up loving the Urban Tiger scheme myself!

View attachment 403111

Honda have had some iconic schemes over the years.

I remember my Father having these two

View attachment 403113
View attachment 403112

Love them! The pink purple white combo is also available in the 30th anniversary edition, but silly money still unfortunately 😢

Absolutely love it Gav, great year and colour scheme. Just need the original to site beside it now.

Haha don't tempt me, that's great!

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
What are the plans for the bike, what are these wee things and tinkering you speak off :joy: . What are you thoughts on it compared to the S1000rr, you got a decent run home to bond?

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
What are the plans for the bike, what are these wee things and tinkering you speak off :joy: . What are you thoughts on it compared to the S1000rr, you got a decent run home to bond?

Just wee things, nothing major lol.

Want a quick shifter, though gearbox feels great as it is and using the clutch again has been fine, just prefer it for accelerating.

Need a double bubble or higher screen

The grips are proper smooth and sloppy so want gripper ones. Only discovered it has heated grips, has a wee discrete on button so the grips must be part of that installation.

Tank grips!

Grippier seat

Suspension set up

Exhaust louder ideally

Woolwich remap

Chain and sprockets

Tidy up a couple of bits with flaky paint (triple clamps are ones I've noticed so far)

Honestly I thought it would be like stepping back in time after the S1000RR but it's not at all.
Yes the dash looks older, but I still like the way it looks.
Bike feels a lot lighter, especially the high up weight.
Accelerates just as quick it seems, certainly up to 148mph anyways which is the point at which my private test track ran out 😂

Only thing I need to get my head round is having no electronics. As the BMW systems are so subtle you never notice them kicking in. I was never sure when they'd actually saved me or if I was riding within my limits and managed it myself. Certainly a couple of times the BMW saved me when hitting gravel mid corner and once when the front came up off a crest and wheelie control kicked in 😂💩 Need to learn to respect the throttle a bit again lol

Lee

RMS Regular
That looks well Gav, I've always liked that model/year. Much nicer than the one previous. That trip home was horrific!

I imagine you'd need to be on a track to notice the difference in power between this and the likes of the S1000RR. Even then, any of them go like scalded cats.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
That looks well Gav, I've always liked that model/year. Much nicer than the one previous. That trip home was horrific!

I imagine you'd need to be on a track to notice the difference in power between this and the likes of the S1000RR. Even then, any of them go like scalded cats.

Cheers mate!

Yeah definitely probably not notice on the road at all, would need a track, and even at that, having had my old S1000RR around tracks before, I'd say I'd be doing similar times on the Blade really as I'm only using the bikes to 60% of their potential if even that 😂 Here as long as it gives me a buzz it could be a 40 year old BSA for all I care lol.

Still have more fun on the Monkey on the roads 😂🙈

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Fitted the bigger TT spec screen same as John McGuinness used on his bike. Makes some difference but its sh1te quality and was a pain to fit and line up the holes, should've stuck with MRA or Puig. Nearly too big as well but serves a purpose and until I lose some bellies I won't be tucking in behind the standard screen!

Also stuck some tank grips on as well, never the best looking mod but for me always the most worthwhile, great to be able to grip the tank now.
And then stuck a set of ASV Levers in as well as a my wee short fingers were struggling to reach the standard levers lol

Nice wee blast out today as well

20230801_174314.jpg
20230808_173607.jpg
20230808_173616.jpg
20230811_124826.jpg

Lee

RMS Regular
Looks well Gav. I found my Fireblade to be the best bike I've had for wind protection. Any other bike has had annoying wind noise!