adapting a scissor jack to use with a impact wrench.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
One gave way on me last year whilst holding one corner of a GT up so unless you can benchpress it don't lie under it.

Safety first!

they_did_not_read_the_safety_manual_39.gif

Haha cheers jay.

need to find a robust scissor jack as a base for this nonsense :grinning:

Phil

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Personally I dont see the problem of welding a nut onto the end of a sisor jack and using an impact gun to raise the car.
So long as you use axle stands to rest the car on before working on it.

The jack in your link looks to be a little more robust than standard sissor jacks so i'd say that as it seems to be purpose built, then its the one to go for!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I have a similar problem in that my garage is very narrow to get a trolley jack under and then use the handle. If I only need to work on 1 side, I just park it over a bit. If I need to work on both sides, its more awkward but using central jacking points like the sump guard or rear crossmember works as I have more length available than width. otherwise a small trolley jack from Halfords is a good option. Also, rather than use the original jack handle I sometimes use the wheel wrench like this: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools/halfords-extending-wheel-wrench which means you can pump vertically.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Have a load of those wheel wrenches :grinning:

How do you use it with a trolley jack @swansty?

with no socket on the end, it fits into the trolley jack handle receptacle thingy. keep the wrench vertical and sort of pull back and down on it. need to watch you don't come away from the vertical otherwise all your effort is wasted. Takes a bit of effort but works in a tight space. make sure you have a method of opening the release valve in a confined space though!

Alternatively if your only lifting a 900kg car, cut the original handle so it fits. again, will take more effort but shouldn't be impossible.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ah, got you. Would not work on my jack.

But I have a jack where the handle is vertical when it starts, so the same principle. Takes a bit of manly force when there is only space for the handle to swing part way down, buy fine with the Lotus :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.