advice/opinions required - car for work. New plan

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Ok new plan, not leasing or buying brand new, however going to spend a bit of money 5k plus whatever I get for the golf on something with lower miles and economical.

Currently looking at

Diesel mondeo's (couple of nice st tdci ones about)
Octavia's
Corolla/avensis
Focus

Any other ideas??? Did look at bmw's and mercs but decided against it as can't get much for the money and expensive repairs/parts due to what they are.

I know most think I'm mad and should keep the golf going for another while but want something bit fresher with lower miles :grinning:

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
So was thinking something new or a year old so i have warranty and reliably in it....

Not always lol

Warranty - mostly yes but if it breaks its still going to need fixed which will take time and some new cars are harder to get parts for than others.

Id rather drive an old worn in VW than some of the new wagons the road TBH - would be much more confident on its reliability.

That being said it could blow up next week and the new 1.5DCi engined Renault could go until the cows come home to roost!

pinto200

RMS Regular
Ok new plan, not leasing or buying brand new, however going to spend a bit of money 5k plus whatever I get for the golf on something with lower miles and economical.

Currently looking at

Diesel mondeo's (couple of nice st tdci ones about)
Octavia's
Corolla/avensis
Focus

Any other ideas??? Did look at bmw's and mercs but decided against it as can't get much for the money and expensive repairs/parts due to what they are.

I know most think I'm mad and should keep the golf going for another while but want something bit fresher with lower miles :grinning:
Is that not the worst plan given your criteria? No warranty and tieing up 5k. Spending 5k on one of those isn't going to guarantee any sort of reliability.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I've been following this thread for a while and haven't posted yet, but it seems to me like you are going to spend 5/6k on something that is going to give you much the same issues as you face with the Golf and probably dearer to fix over the same length of time.
I'm sure you have googled the issues the cars you have listed suffer from and they do all have issues, some minor, some major. At least with the Golf you know where you stand at what's been done and keep the cash!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Flog the golf and get a b4 passat tdi.

It will never die. Ever.

Mine did, but I was doing 150ish miles a day and it had about 300-odd thousand on it.

I was coming back from night shift on a railway job at 5 in the morning, half asleep ....... and the bottom pulley bolt sheared and made a bid for freedom, the pully bent the drive on the way out and rattled under the car as the pistons bent everything in the head. Very unlike a VW AAZ but that ****ing woke me up that morning anyway.

Would still get another :oops:

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Wow thought would have got a lot more recommendations :eek:

Listen look at it this way the car will be payed for by work within two years with the allowance. Just looking at it as a company car!

I'm changing the golf it's getting long in the tooth And I have the rest of the cars to work at want to get something that has less maintance required!! I know you won't buy something 100% reliable but something without 200k would be nice!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Wow thought would have got a lot more recommendations :eek:

Listen look at it this way the car will be payed for by work within two years with the allowance. Just looking at it as a company car!

I'm changing the golf it's getting long in the tooth And I have the rest of the cars to work at want to get something that has less maintance required!! I know you won't buy something 100% reliable but something without 200k would be nice!

Accord CTDI or higher miled DTEC and cruise about feeling like a lord without the god awful VAG handling.

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Ok well bought a new car today, pick it up on wed or thurs, got a cracking deal and two years warranty for piece of mind.

Definitely a rep mobile lol but ticked the boxes required nice low mileage Bluetooth and in budget after some haggling over the price and trading in the golf..... Must to everyone's disappointment on here that telling me to keep the golf lol but I'm sure it will be in carryduff auctions soon i would imagine lol

Mrt20

RMS Regular
Ok well bought a new car today, pick it up on wed or thurs, got a cracking deal and two years warranty for piece of mind.

Definitely a rep mobile lol but ticked the boxes required nice low mileage Bluetooth and in budget after some haggling over the price and trading in the golf..... Must to everyone's disappointment on here that telling me to keep the golf lol but I'm sure it will be in carryduff auctions soon i would imagine lol

Carryduff auctions then clocked again lol

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Carryduff auctions then clocked again lol

To be fair to it it is good motor I just had bushes put in all round about 3 k ago and it's been service new intercooler etc so someone will get a good car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.