Alfa Install pics WIP updated 20thJan

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Just a few pics from my in progress install in the alfa. Basically the alfa comes with 5 speakers and a bose amp. one coaxial in each door and a sub on the parcel shelf. In my car the front speakers arent working so rather than look into a new bose amp etc I decided to fit some new gear.

So I bought a PG 400.4 amp to run them (either bridged or just off 2ch not decided yet).
Also bought a set of PG Elite Ti6 components. Ive had these before in the M3 and really liked them.

So the steps to install were:

1. Run a power cable through the bulkhead into the cabin (for battery power to the amp).

2. Run RCAs, remote cable, speaker cable and the power cable down the car into the boot where the amp and crossover will go.

3. run 1 speaker cable into each door for the midbass drivers.

4. create a mounting area in the boot for the amp and crossover. I want the smallest impact on usability as possible.

5. Install the speakers. The door mounts will need to be remade from MDF and the tweeters will require custom mounts on the dash at the bottom of each apillar.

6. Sound deaden each door and wrap up any loose bits to stop rattles.

Step 1: Power Cable through the bulkhead

Forums are brilliant for this. Rather than hunt around for a grommit simply ask. On the 156 there is a MASSIVE grommit under the scuttle panel on the passenger side just behind the battery.

17-01-07_1841.jpg

So I fed the cable through and made a hole in the grommit. The cable dropped down behind the glovebox. I cable tied it out of the way and ran it down to the footwell ready to join up with the other cables on their way to the rear.

Step 2: Cables down the car

So now I have the speaker cables (4 runs one for each speaker), the RCAs (1 set) and the remote cable. Im taking a chance and running them all down the same side. By the book I should keep the RCAs and power cable seperate but Im taking a chance as i dont want to mess up the trim too much.

So I removed all the sill trims and the lower bpillar trim as well as the rear seats to give access to the boot. At the end of it I had a nice bunch of cables popping out in the boot.

18-01-07_2009.jpg

Step 3: Speaker cables into the doors

Normally you could simply use the std cables chopping them under the dash and connecting them to the cables from the amp. This wasnt possible for two reasons:

- I wasnt convinced the std speakers would be up to the job
- I didnt want to chop up the std cables under the dash. For one its really packed in there and also I didnt want to ruin any std cabling if possible.

So I had to think if a way to get the speaker cables into the doors. Unfortunatly the loom connectors are sealed with no nice openings so I had to reach for the drill.

19-01-07_0854.jpg

I looked for some unused pins and drilled through there. I had to drill both the door side and the body side (in a matching location obviously).

19-01-07_0857.jpg

19-01-07_0858.jpg

So with the holes drilled I fed the speaker cable through. This still left me to run the cable through the plastic tubing from the door to body. A tent peg with the cable taped to it comes in very handy here. An old coat hanger or something also works.

19-01-07_0853.jpg

The cables could now be pushed through into the cabin and joined (soldered and covered with heat shrink) onto the cables coming from the rear.

Step 4: Boot mounting area

To avoid losing much boot space I decided to mount the amp and crossover unit upside down on an mdf board suspended from the parcel shelf. I drilled a few holes in the shelf and mounted 3 long bolts dropping down.

18-01-07_2007.jpg

I then marked on my MDF board where the holes should go and drilled a hole. I countersunk each side so that the board would slip up over the nuts Id used to fix the bolt in place and also to allow a nice big washer to fit on the bottom side.

18-01-07_2010.jpg

18-01-07_2011.jpg

I made sure that my bits would mount on ok in relation to the holes also:

18-01-07_2006.jpg

All the board needs now is trimmed in some basic carpet or so as it wont be seen.

Then I will mount the amp and crossover to the board then mount the board on the parcel shelf. Then cable it up and job done.

Step 5. Install the speakers.

To install the speakers I had to fix the elites to the doors somehow. I decided to keep the original frames as they helped secure the door card to the door skin. So I had to space the frames out so that the elites would sit out far enough to hold the fitting ring and thus the grille. Also it helped the large (read massive) magnets clear the frame.

had to make 4 rings as I needed 1" clearance. so 2 x 12mm thick rings

19-01-07_2028.jpg

The rings will sit like this:

19-01-07_2030.jpg

Glued them together:

19-01-07_2048.jpg

Rear of the frame. I reinforced it with a lot of hotglue to make sure it stays secure to the doorcard:

19-01-07_2050.jpg

Rings now fitted. Used some dynamat to seal the insides

20-01-07_1058.jpg

Trial fit the speaker:

20-01-07_1059.jpg

Doorcards refitted ready for the speakers to be installed:

20-01-07_1150.jpg

Speaker in:

20-01-07_1158.jpg

Grille on :grinning:

20-01-07_1159.jpg

Step 6. Sound deaden each door and wrap up any loose bits to stop rattles.

The most thankless task known to man. I DETEST applying sound deadening. I actually done this before step 5 so I could refit the doorcards. Anyway not much skill here just fire it on where possible. I applied it:

- to the outer door skin
- to the inner door skin
- to the inside of the doorcard
- all around the speaker frames to minimise any vibrations

Laid out to see what Ive got:

19-01-07_2054.jpg

Cut into small pieces. Makes application easier as its easier to feed though the holes to get at the outer door skin.

19-01-07_2056.jpg

Pic of the doorskins

20-01-07_1132.jpg

Step 7: Sort out HU wiring

Making this all fit in behind is a major challenge. 1" extra depth would be great.

20-01-07_1325.jpg

Step 8: Fit tweeters

TODO

More to come as I work on it tonight and tomorrow.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
excellent pabs - you work very quickly :laughing:

cant wait to get started in to mine again :laughing:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I know its not very exciting but I thought the pics might be of use to someone.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
some good work there pablo, liking the stealth boot build and a good idea with the door speakers. must keep that in mind!!

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
very nice pads, are those the crossovers on the right hand side?? if so, holy **** they'r massive!!!

good work, keep us posted!

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Good work,looked like abit of a coont to do tho :grinning:

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
Tidy work there lado (y)

Only concern I have is that, as the amp is mounted upside down heat will soak back into the amp (as heat rise's).

This caused me grief many moons ago on an install and the amp would thermal regularly if you were pushing it a bit. It was running 2 ohms bridged though :p Worked perfectly mounted the correct way up :cool:

jamesy

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
looks the part Pabs, hope you get it finished soon so we can see the end product, i love seeing WIP's but i can never wait to see the end product

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Only concern I have is that, as the amp is mounted upside down heat will soak back into the amp (as heat rise's).

This caused me grief many moons ago on an install and the amp would thermal regularly if you were pushing it a bit. It was running 2 ohms bridged though :p Worked perfectly mounted the correct way up :cool:
jamesy

Yeah I hear you mate Ill see how it goes as it wont be stressed too hard running 2 channels only. If I was to bridge it then Id have to rethink and will prob just flip the mdf shelf upside down.

Woodsie

RMS Regular
Drives
F21 125d
U still got your elites Boydie? Good work Pablo, was planning to get stuck into mine today (practically the same job, JL XR's and a 300.2) but havent had much time, hopefully get started over the weekend

Woodsie

RMS Regular
Drives
F21 125d
Can you get away with Dynamatting only round the speakers in the door or is it best to do the whole door?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
round the speaker should be fine

im sure the doors on the alfa are sturdy enough compared to my french heap of dung lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
got one door dynamatted and cut my mdf rings (wish I could get access to a cnc machine like pete lol ;))

So just to fit the mids onto the rings and get them into the doors tomorrow :laughing:

all coming together now. no idea how I will do the tweeters like!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Any photos of the dash and A pillars? The good people of RMS can advise.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
fraid not. Ive one idea but it involves a bit of work :worried:

saw the tweet builds baron done in his 5er and would love to copy them but I just dont have the skills

baron

RMS Regular
fraid not. Ive one idea but it involves a bit of work :worried:

saw the tweet builds baron done in his 5er and would love to copy them but I just dont have the skills

You have been busy, looking good so far, even taking drills to the doors lol

Told you how to do the pillars, its a piece of p!ss to make honestly try it, it really shouldn't take any more than a hour for both, but if your running the extra wires into the door can you not put them in behind the bose grill? Still think we simple pods ont the dash would look brilliant.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
was considering putting them in the door BUT I didnt want to comprimise on the sound. going this far it would be a shame to "settle" for those fixed positions.

At least now I can have a play around with positions and see what sounds best :grinning:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
nice to see another ice thread with pics :grinning:

looks good so far, ive no idea how the amp will react being upside down, i never ran any of mine upside down but like you said, if youre not pushing it then it should be ok

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.