Any Mercedes sprinter experts?

C20LET

RMS Regular
Having starting problems with a 2001 2.2 sprinter.

Was starting & driving fine then not used for 2 weeks & wouldn’t start.

Used some cold start & it ran but as soon as stopped spraying cold start cuts out.

Fuel lines seemed a bit foamy like there could have been air lock so had fuel line bleed & new fuel filter fitted now lines full of diesel no air.

There’s fuel getting to injectors but just can’t get it to go. Also tried fitting new battery as well.

Anyone any ideas or can put me in touch with someone who can help?

Cheers

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Having starting problems with a 2001 2.2 sprinter.

Was starting & driving fine then not used for 2 weeks & wouldn’t start.

Used some cold start & it ran but as soon as stopped spraying cold start cuts out.

Fuel lines seemed a bit foamy like there could have been air lock so had fuel line bleed & new fuel filter fitted now lines full of diesel no air.

There’s fuel getting to injectors but just can’t get it to go. Also tried fitting new battery as well.

Anyone any ideas or can put me in touch with someone who can help?

Cheers
Couple of things to check yourself , fuel filter being the first one , if you can bypass it great will eliminate that, lift pump in the tank, pretty sure those older ones have them , if they do remove it and test it and then the pump on the engine , again it’s been some time from I’ve been around one that age but pretty sure they’ve one driven by a belt bar that then your into electrical etc but at least if you check those three fingers crossed that’s your issue

C20LET

RMS Regular
OP
C20LET
Couple of things to check yourself , fuel filter being the first one , if you can bypass it great will eliminate that, lift pump in the tank, pretty sure those older ones have them , if they do remove it and test it and then the pump on the engine , again it’s been some time from I’ve been around one that age but pretty sure they’ve one driven by a belt bar that then your into electrical etc but at least if you check those three fingers crossed that’s your issue
Already put a new fuel filter on which seemed to cure the foaming in the lines.

There’s only 2 wires running to tank- I was thinking that’s for sender so no lift pump? Not sure

Yeah there’s a mechanical fuel pump at front of engine

I’m not that mechanical minded so as far as I got was changing battery & trying easy start 😁.
Already had a mobile mechanic out to check it over & he’s told me to find a diesel mechanic as he can’t work it out either.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Funny how putting "any experts" in a thread title attracts me to questions about vehicles I have no experience of, lol..
Does the pump have a stop solenoid or immobiliser unit that could could be playing up? I have had similar on a Peugeot van and this was the cause.

C20LET

RMS Regular
OP
C20LET
Funny how putting "any experts" in a thread title attracts me to questions about vehicles I have no experience of, lol..
Does the pump have a stop solenoid or immobiliser unit that could could be playing up? I have had similar on a Peugeot van and this was the cause.
No idea lol. I’ll look into it.

Cheers

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Already put a new fuel filter on which seemed to cure the foaming in the lines.

There’s only 2 wires running to tank- I was thinking that’s for sender so no lift pump? Not sure

Yeah there’s a mechanical fuel pump at front of engine

I’m not that mechanical minded so as far as I got was changing battery & trying easy start 😁.
Already had a mobile mechanic out to check it over & he’s told me to find a diesel mechanic as he can’t work it out either.
What sort of a mechanic can’t fix a sprinter lol? Must be a plug and replace part fella
I’m pretty sure I did a lift pump in an ice cream van same year as that many moons ago , don’t be fooled by the two wires , if they look heavy-ish could be going to a pump but I do agree usually min four going to a lift pump, I’ve a guy there he’s based in Lisburn, does a lot of plant and vans daily so if your not too far he might travel? He’s sorted a brave few members out already

C20LET

RMS Regular
OP
C20LET
What sort of a mechanic can’t fix a sprinter lol? Must be a plug and replace part fella
I’m pretty sure I did a lift pump in an ice cream van same year as that many moons ago , don’t be fooled by the two wires , if they look heavy-ish could be going to a pump but I do agree usually min four going to a lift pump, I’ve a guy there he’s based in Lisburn, does a lot of plant and vans daily so if your not too far he might travel? He’s sorted a brave few members out already
Yes please can you send me his number I’m just in Bangor

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I did my apprenticeship in mcgladery commercials and remember bleeding sprinters being a massive ball ache. Putting an airline wrapped in rags into the filler neck to try and pressurise the tank. I’m pretty sure they have a lifter pump in the tank.