Audi A6 S Line

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
My clutch / flywheel curse struck again. When I bought the car one thing that really stuck out was the warranty document from Birmingham Audi at 18 months old / 18k miles saying that the owner brought the car in noting a judder from the clutch in first gear. Clutch, flywheel and release bearing replaced. Cost? Nigh on £2.5k!

Initially I was shocked that it had been replaced at such a young age but I also felt relieved that it was done before my ownership and a potential big issue out of the way.

Fast forward a few months and the dreaded clutch judder when pulling off became more and more apparent (20k after first clutch was changed.) I contacted Belfast Audi who confirmed that the warranty on the clutch and flywheel replacement has expired, I registered my dissatisfaction that a £2.5k repair can fail again after 2.5 years / 20k and asked what the chances would be of goodwill from Audi. The service advisor suggested I booked the car in for a diagnostic report at £250 where a file would be compiled and sent off to Audi. I decided that the judder was very irritating and gambled on sending it to them with the hope of something positive coming from it. So I booked it in for last Wednesday. I was working so my father took it up. A technician took it a run and agreed that a judder was present and said a new clutch, flywheel and release bearing would be the only fix. +o(:sob:

The service advisor (Johnny) spoke with the business manager and we came to an amicable arrangement where I would commit to buying a service plan and a 2 year warranty and Agnews would pay to fix the problem. Total cost to me approx £1k. :oops:

An unexpected bill but I realise that it could potentially have been much worse (£2.5k like the last time) and I now have the benefit of having a 2 year comprehensive warranty and my next 2 services are paid for.. Think positive.. Think positive..

In other news my courtesy car was a 2016 A5 cabriolet. Quite a nice car, just the wrong time of year. Was quite pleased to get back into my A6 though I must admit. The thing that amazes me though is the fact you can get a 2009 one of these for £30k less and you will have the exact same interior. Should have maybe facelifted the interior at the time of the exterior facelift.

View attachment 129324

The steering wheel buttons are different :p.

Ours needed a new steering column at 4 years old with 40k. Lost faith in them after that.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Good result in fairness, two years warranty alone must be about £1k on its own, nevermind the £2.5k clutch/DMF kit!

The warranty would probably be about £370 per year, it's banded by engine size. I probably would've pushed Audi UK first though, Agnews could well be getting it coveted by them and you'd never know.

It's a good warranty though, I had it on the TT and A8.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Mate had the same issue in his A4 derv, horrible to drive with the juddering. It has really put me off diesel audi's, the clutch and DMF seems to be a real weak point in them

Odhran

RMS Regular
OP
Odhran
Drives
A5 Sportback
Shame about the flywheel but you could do the job for well under 1k

Yeah probably could have but I have next two services and 2 year warranty to show for it so it balances out.

@Burt2000 yeah I agree it has put me completely off VAG cars. Think I'll be going for a Lexus RC next once they come down to my budget.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It just annoys me because Audi are seen as a prestige brand and people pay a premium for them but an issue like that really ruins the experience. Lexus are quality, we had a brand new IS250 for a weekend last year and it was such a nice car to sit in and drive

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
It just annoys me because Audi are seen as a prestige brand and people pay a premium for them but an issue like that really ruins the experience.

If you could see the stuff we sell in the shop, the vast majority of it is for VAG cars and BMW's. I would say they go through more parts than any of the French stuff these days.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Agree 100%, German stuff is not what it used to be in terms of reliability....at least French parts are cheap and it's usually wee niggles with them in my experience, nothing major. Anyway I don't want to clutter up the thread. Looks wise that's a lovely car you have there man and I hope you have some good luck with it from now on.

Odhran

RMS Regular
OP
Odhran
Drives
A5 Sportback
The Calipers / hubs / sand guards are beginning to look a little sorry for themselves / past their best. What colour should I paint them? Torn between silver or black, any suggestions?

Odhran

RMS Regular
OP
Odhran
Drives
A5 Sportback
I kinda like the OEMness of silver though. Smootherite do the job? Never did this before.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.