Audi S3 8V Sizzling sound from engine

craigs3

RMS Member
Drives
Audi S3
Hey guys. Test drove an S3 8V the other day and noticed a sizzling noise coming from near the back of the engine after the car was turned off.

The AC was on during the test drive and I’ve seen a few people mentioning it is due to condensation.

Here’s a link to the sound.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
No idea but I will check mine when I get home after my commute. The turbo will "sizzle" though, it will be warm back there, not so sure about the "interference" type noise

craigs3

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
Audi S3
where does the AC drain pipe drip?
Not sure. Struggled to find an answer online but it seems like it would be lower than where the sound is coming from? The sizzling sound seems to be up near the turbo

craigs3

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
Audi S3
No idea but I will check mine when I get home after my commute. The turbo will "sizzle" though, it will be warm back there, not so sure about the "interference" type noise
Wouldn’t it only sizzle if it had some sort of liquid on it though? Let me know if yours is the same, thanks

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Hot metal "pings" when it cools so thats probably what you/we are hearing

The “pinging” noise you hear is coming from the hot metal cooling under your car. As you drive, the engine and all the parts around it start to heat up and expand. Once you turn the car off, those metals will cool and contract.

craigs3

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
Audi S3
Approved used at Audi? If so will have a good warranty. Ask them to investigate as part of the purchase process?
Independent dealer.

6 month warranty standard.

They’re looking into it as well. They’ve looked after the car since 2019 when they sold it to the previous owner (who was local) & they’re great guys so I’ve faith.

Just thought I’d post on here as well to see if it was normal and I was over worrying or if anyone had any answers

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
There’s coolant leak issues with them that’s well documented. The thermostat housing is made of plastic and is part of the water pump so the whole lot needs replaced.
Mine has been pretty reliable apart from the water pump so if you have a good warranty and the dealer is aware of the issue then at least you’re covered

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Just make sure all the service items are covered before you buy. If you download the myAudi app you’ll be able to work out what it needs.
Check -
Brake fluid - after 3 years then every 2 years
Plugs
Haldex service
DSG Service (due at 38k and is £250)

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Same age and similar miles to mine, I'll pop the bonnet tomorrow for a listen after I've taken it a spin.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Approved used at Audi? If so will have a good warranty. Ask them to investigate as part of the purchase process?

These comments baffle me.

Audi approved used warranty isn't worth a turd.