Audi S3 8V

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Great going car, sounds class and good to see you getting it out on track finally!

With the drag racing and commuting to work as well shows what a great fast all rounder it is!

Get them brakes sorted and see you on track next year, hopefully more on the track and less in the run off areas 😝😂

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Fair play @Boydie I'd say it goes well on track having seen it on the drag strip. Are you throwing the towel in on the drag racing altogether?

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Fair play @Boydie I'd say it goes well on track having seen it on the drag strip. Are you throwing the towel in on the drag racing altogether?

My car will consistently do low 11's on the drag strip which is full stripped, 100+ ron fuel - the dream of 10's is 0.17s away and to achieve that I would need perfect conditions, meth and probably another 100kg weight loss - not unachievable but would be hard enough - with what happened between the two organising parties this year over the Drag Series, I don't see drag racing in Ireland making an appearance again for a while at least, maybe the odd event at Bischopscourt or Enniskillen which I'll happily support.

Thanks for the comments, currently looking at BBK's and cheap 172/182 clio's :joy:

Some pics from @Graham :heart:

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Some more pics from the day - def got the bug!

Kirk1.jpg
Kirk2.jpg
kirk4.jpg

This is a class shot, be awesome if everyone was in focus - know its hard with speed and lighting though!

kirk5.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Catch can doing its thing - track day and about 1000 miles more or less. Emptied today just to see how much it was collecting based on experience with my old S3 (emptying nearly every 2/3 weeks) but I expected more

Need to make a proper bracket now for it to mount to the headlight as it was designed to attach to the OEM engine mount

IMG_6114.jpeg

Been researching brakes like crazy and still deciding on what to do. Took my wheels down to test fit over a set of TTRS/Aston Martin which was successful so I’m considering these

IMG_6083.jpeg
IMG_6082.jpeg

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Link me to how to do that, been looking similar for the skyline

Just search Bing AI on app store and just ask:

create R33 skyline in white with black wheels out of lego with a lego box in the background with Ossy written on it. The registration is to read BBW 69

And go from there - can take some time, editing your request. I am now trying to get all my previous cars in a garage which is proving difficult but getting there

Aware this is not a 987

1702034998780.png

Trying to get the grey stripe off the bonnet and roof

1702035025667.png

Not bad tbh but I did ask for BBS CH alloys and 3 door

1702035052403.png

This was a pain but best I could get, wouldnt change interior to black and this is a B8.5 and not a B8

1702035084184.png

First attempt at a garage but for some reason left the other cars out, Porsche is grey and not a Cayman and the Sirocco identifies as an Audi

1702035130492.png

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Update:

Following on from the track day, cooking my brakes and the fact that they need new discs and pads (last done in 2018 believe it or not) I have been looking at different brakes non stop since really.

I kept looking at BBK's but in my head could not justify £2-3k on brakes. It does make sense based on the power of the car and my intentions with it but also the current brake set up I have had the last 5 years has never let me down:
  • VW GTI Clubsport S discs (lighter, vented)
1703238767351.png

• Ferrodo DS2500 pads
  • Stock lines and fluid
  • RS3 Ducts (below)
1703238666104.png

So to recap, these were my brakes after the third session on the track #cooked

1703238726810.png

Didn't let me down as said but they need changed or upgraded

So costs as follows to replace what i have:

• 340x30mm VW GTI Clubsport S discs are £475
  • Ferrodo DS2500 pads are £240
  • Upgraded lines EBC/HEL/etc... £50
  • Fluid - negligible
So guts of £800 inc postage (without looking at discounts elsewhere, prices based on Awesome GTI) sort of set my expect budget but had put it on hold due to servicing, xmas and so on.

Roll on @Carson texting me earlier this week with a link for second hand Racing Line Stage 2 Evo brake kit 🙈 🙈

Advert was on a group forum I wasn't a member of so I quickly joined but while waiting for approval, found them on Marketplace, sent the seller a message and long story short after many messages later, building some rapport and doing research, I bought them 8o|8o|

Last thing I needed to do this side of Xmas and a holiday next month but they were a fantastic price, excellent condition and the seller was an absolute gent. Sent a deposit, I paid the next day and they were shipped to me within 24hours!

1703239541804.png

1703239557147.png

Package includes:

- Monoblock Front Brake 4 pot Callipers
- Calliper Mounting Brackets (Pair)
- Full Mounting Bolt Kit
- Braided Steel Front Brake Line Set
- Sport Brake Pad Set (Fast Road Use)
- Triple Groove 345mm Brake Discs (Pair - think they might be able to take up to 380mm discs but haven't looked into this)

Unfortunately they are black and I would love them to be red to stick with the theme of the car (red was a factory optional extra for the S3) so I have messaged Powdertek and Bodyworx NI for quotes to spray them red (want the job done properly) - anyone experience in stripping brakes near me that could help?

To add to the cooling, I only recently found out that the RS3 has vent brake dust covers which fit perfectly so will look more into these but then again, could just remove the covers all together 🤷‍♂️ thoughts?

1703240174066.png

Also keen for a Eurocode rear brace from the USA which seems to get good reports but unsure exactly if it will make a huge difference to justify the price, postage and import fees if I am not noticing an issue in the first place - very subtle and still allows full use of the boot unlike the Racingline X brace which covers the back of the rear seat

1703239927949.png

So that's the latest update, plan to take some time over Xmas break to give the car a big clean and possibly start stripping these brakes!

Gambit

RMS Regular
You'd be better off getting a set of rear calipers, refurbing them and doing them black, then that way you have a full set of red s3 all round and a set of blacks...think of resale :grinning: and sure you'll be fitting braided rear lines also to tie in with fronts

I wouldn't be going down the line of stripping and rebuilding those front calipers just to make them red, likelihood of wrecking something isn't worth some red paint

Fit rs3 covers also, don't leave covers off they also aid cooling

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
You'd be better off getting a set of rear calipers, refurbing them and doing them black, then that way you have a full set of red s3 all round and a set of blacks...think of resale :grinning: and sure you'll be fitting braided rear lines also to tie in with fronts

I wouldn't be going down the line of stripping and rebuilding those front calipers just to make them red, likelihood of wrecking something isn't worth some red paint

That's a reasonable idea actually but I just like the red - rear brakes need changed soon too so will give that some thought and add it to my daily marketplace search list :joy:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The main problem with your car on circuit days is the weight. Constant braking from high speed will wear out discs and pads in no time. If you get two days out of a set of pads in your car you are doing well. Discs will wear too, and unless they are top quality they might warp too.

Driving style does make a huge difference though, everyone is different.

The other thing with brakes is you do get what you pay for. Fingers crossed that kit is better, I don't know much about Racing Line.

slapshot_99

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Focus

Update:

Following on from the track day, cooking my brakes and the fact that they need new discs and pads (last done in 2018 believe it or not) I have been looking at different brakes non stop since really.

I kept looking at BBK's but in my head could not justify £2-3k on brakes. It does make sense based on the power of the car and my intentions with it but also the current brake set up I have had the last 5 years has never let me down:
  • VW GTI Clubsport S discs (lighter, vented)
View attachment 420320
  • Ferrodo DS2500 pads
  • Stock lines and fluid
  • RS3 Ducts (below)
View attachment 420318

So to recap, these were my brakes after the third session on the track #cooked

View attachment 420319

Didn't let me down as said but they need changed or upgraded

So costs as follows to replace what i have:

• 340x30mm VW GTI Clubsport S discs are £475
  • Ferrodo DS2500 pads are £240
  • Upgraded lines EBC/HEL/etc... £50
  • Fluid - negligible
So guts of £800 inc postage (without looking at discounts elsewhere, prices based on Awesome GTI) sort of set my expect budget but had put it on hold due to servicing, xmas and so on.

Roll on @Carson texting me earlier this week with a link for second hand Racing Line Stage 2 Evo brake kit 🙈 🙈

Advert was on a group forum I wasn't a member of so I quickly joined but while waiting for approval, found them on Marketplace, sent the seller a message and long story short after many messages later, building some rapport and doing research, I bought them 8o|8o|

Last thing I needed to do this side of Xmas and a holiday next month but they were a fantastic price, excellent condition and the seller was an absolute gent. Sent a deposit, I paid the next day and they were shipped to me within 24hours!

View attachment 420321

View attachment 420322

Package includes:

- Monoblock Front Brake 4 pot Callipers
- Calliper Mounting Brackets (Pair)
- Full Mounting Bolt Kit
- Braided Steel Front Brake Line Set
- Sport Brake Pad Set (Fast Road Use)
- Triple Groove 345mm Brake Discs (Pair - think they might be able to take up to 380mm discs but haven't looked into this)

Unfortunately they are black and I would love them to be red to stick with the theme of the car (red was a factory optional extra for the S3) so I have messaged Powdertek and Bodyworx NI for quotes to spray them red (want the job done properly) - anyone experience in stripping brakes near me that could help?

To add to the cooling, I only recently found out that the RS3 has vent brake dust covers which fit perfectly so will look more into these but then again, could just remove the covers all together 🤷‍♂️ thoughts?

View attachment 420326
Also keen for a Eurocode rear brace from the USA which seems to get good reports but unsure exactly if it will make a huge difference to justify the price, postage and import fees if I am not noticing an issue in the first place - very subtle and still allows full use of the boot unlike the Racingline X brace which covers the back of the rear seat

View attachment 420325

So that's the latest update, plan to take some time over Xmas break to give the car a big clean and possibly start stripping these brakes!
I have the Racingline brace sitting in my office.....been there for a while and still haven't gotten around to fitting 🤦🤦
It seems to be fantastic quality.

Just fitted front and rear Reyland full floating discs. No complaints so far and a good option for anyone else who is thinking of an upgrade. Much cheaper and better quality than Audi stock disks too.