Audi S5 B8 Cabrio

mikerd4

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
9 years ago I owned a C70 for a short period and despite living in Ireland and limited opportunities to get the roof down I loved it and part of me regretted moving her on. Roll on to 2023 and I was in Dubshed and looking at A5docs A5 Cabrio and it got me wanting to get a cabrio again. As I have kids that need lifts to matches etc I couldnt go for a two seater I looked at a few 6 Series, 1 Series but the vast majority for sale in Ireland were diesels. Roll on to 2024, happy with life in my S1 and making plans with what I was going to do with it and a chance browse through the Donedeal thread I saw a B8 S5 for sale. It kept niggling at me and wouldn't go away, so much so I drove nearly 2 hours to have a look with my son. That was enough and I loved it putting a deposit down. Two weeks later I collected it.

So I'm now the happy owner of a 2011 B8 S5 Cabrio. The mileage is low for her age @ 63000 miles it has a extensive service history and Ive found its original owner and the car is one street view parked in a sleepy English village outside the antique dealers shop on google street view for several years.

So far all I have done is pay for a very expensive bit of paper for the windscreen and tidy a few bits up- replaced the puddle lights with new one, new plates, led number plate lights and a deep clean. It was already very clean and the paint in great condition as the guy I bought it off was a budding detailer having just ceramic coated it. He also removed the rear silencers so it is nice and throaty now.

Plans, its going to Daltons for a full check over and service (I service all my cars regardless of history when I buy them). New intake (hoping for an apr enclosed cf one but they are mad money) a remap and gearbox tune. I have a Mr12volt carplay system on order. Then hopefully we will have some good weather and I can enjoy the summer with the roof down.
After that a RS grill/foglight surrounds and some carbon fibre wing mirrors with dynamic indicators.

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_195810.jpg
    IMG_20240406_195810.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240406_195941.jpg
    IMG_20240406_195941.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240406_200349_669.jpg
    IMG_20240406_200349_669.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240406_224725_300.jpg
    IMG_20240406_224725_300.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 0

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
They map so well and with centre box removal can make a great noise too - personally, I am not a RS grill lover if the car isn't RS. A black edition S5 grill would look better IMO

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
They map so well and with centre box removal can make a great noise too - personally, I am not a RS grill lover if the car isn't RS. A black edition S5 grill would look better IMO
I hear you, I'm not sure they did a black edition on the B8 S5. Can only find them for the B8.5. The S5 and S4 grills are different as well from what I've seen which narrows the choice down a little bit.

It has the rear silencers removed and is fairly loud as it is. I'm just toying with what remap to go with. Either a generic Revo or a custom map, I haven't decided yet.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
You just missed out on the Revo sale in March but could speak to the local dealers and see if they could honour it from HQ

Personally, I wouldn't consider any other company to map the car

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
Daltons in Port Laois look after all my cars and are a Revo franchise (they mapped my S1), but they weren't offering the March sale. I don't mind waiting for them to offer a deal on the software which they do every so often. There are several UK based tuners that know their stuff on these but part of me would be happier getting it done here in case of any issues etc

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Great buy, personally wouldn’t love the looks tbh but there engine and value has me always looking at them and s4’s. Htd

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Had a v6 A4 cab for years now. The thing has wore the miles and years amazingly well especially for all it cost.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Hadn't noticed these really until the one at Dubshed caught my eye, class open top wafting! Great choice 👍🏻

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
So whilst the weather was good I decided to fit my Mr12volt Android auto interface. Fairly straightforward although the Rs5 in the install video has a CD changer meaning it's slightly different causing a have I bought the wrong unit moment. The only other issue is it comes with cheap Chinese made removal pins that can be a pain to remove. All in it took me about and hour but would be a lot quicker if doing it again as it's all plug and play.

1000030268.jpg

1000030269.jpg

1000030270.jpg

1000030271.jpg

1000030278.jpg

It really brings the interior bang up to date whilst keeping it period OEM looking.
Replacement auto shifter knob next if I can find the one that swaps handy enough for sensible money on eBay.

Attachments

• 1000030271.jpg
    1000030271.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 0

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
Through the normal conrols.
Well that was a quick one, I started to get random engine warning lights and alternator warnings. Ive taken it out and contacted the support line to see if there is anything that can be done. I have a feeling its connected via the canbus and is throwing spurios signals out that the ecu is seeing as fault codes. We will see what tech support comes back with. Its a shame as it works really neatly. Ill see what they can do before I go any further.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Lovely! They sound great and go well. Have considered chopping the MX5 in for one as it’d be alot more useable as a family. In relation to gear selector, check out @Ben S4 thread, I copied his and changed mine on the S4 for an A5 (I think), and it literally took 2mins.

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
Mr12volt have been very helpful,sending unit back and they are sending another one out. We will see when I have that how it goes. In other news my driver's window opened and then wouldn't close. The regulator has packed up so I contacted Audi and have one on order rather than chance a second hand eBay one.

I bought some RS5 pedals and fitted them today. They don't fit direct so a blob of tec 7 and it's sorted. Just need the rest pedal now

Attachments

• IMG_20240419_112310.jpg
    IMG_20240419_112310.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 0

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
Got a new window regulator from Audi Naas (8F0-837-462D) they got it in for me within 24hrs which was brilliant. Bit fiddly but swapped out in less than an hour and if I was to do it again it would be done a lot quicker. Getting the door card off was the hardest part. Its a common failure point on and the cable on the old one wasn't great. There is a cable repair kit available aftermarket but to be honest

Attachments

• image_33308.jpg
    image_33308.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image_33307.jpg
    image_33307.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
Yeah I've been watching out. I'd prefer one with white stitching to match the wheel so don't mind holding out

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
@Ben Actually toying with making an offer on this

Free UK postage (mum lives in the UK) it would be but its cheaper than most shifters on ebay and appears to be in great condition. Id be left with the shifter unit but could sell that I guess

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
Well fingers crossed its second time lucky. New mr12volt unit arrived today and I got it fitted. Easy enough job, 5 bolts hold the glovebox in place and withdraw the head unit (the unit comes with removal keys although being cheap Chinese ones they dont withdraw easily when engaged). Its then a plug and play job making sure the dip switches are set correctly.
Pair it to the phone and set up android auto.
It really brings the dash bang up to date, so Im hoping I just had a dodgy first unit. Will update after a couple of spins

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Follo
Well fingers crossed its second time lucky. New mr12volt unit arrived today and I got it fitted. Easy enough job, 5 bolts hold the glovebox in place and withdraw the head unit (the unit comes with removal keys although being cheap Chinese ones they dont withdraw easily when engaged). Its then a plug and play job making sure the dip switches are set correctly.
Pair it to the phone and set up android auto.
It really brings the dash bang up to date, so Im hoping I just had a dodgy first unit. Will update after a couple of spins

Following this I'd I'd love to put one in my S4. Just need to figure out what MMI it is.

mikerd4

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
See here