BBC news article: I was kidnapped by my runaway electric car

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
i was reading about that earlier today, bit scary for the driver.

RCT

RMS Regular
I can’t help but think he had buyers remorse on the car. I’ve seen a fair few customers try to back them (ev cars that is) as they haven’t met their expectations with range etc.

I know with so many features on modern cars we have to do long handovers, so the customers understand the things like adaptive cruise control, lane assist etc. Many on here are familiar with it all as I am, but general public aren’t always.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
He posted about it on his own FB profile..... certainly not a case of buyers remorse nor stupidity:

OMG 😲 What a night i just had with my new electric car, only 6 months old.

Driving home from Kilsyth around 10pm when my car malfunctioned leaving me with no brakes, engine off button not working etc ..... car was driving BUT i could not brake or stop car.

Driving through red lights with hazard lights on and trying to make other drivers aware of the issue ....

I rang my partner to come quickly in car and help alert traffic ahead until i could stop the car ... but car would not stop or slow down even driving up hills.

Dialled 999 and within minutes, i seen blue lights coming towards me in every direction.

Police cars were stopping traffic at roundabouts and traffic lights to give me a clear passage until they could decide how to help stop the car.

The decision was made by police after 15 minutes, instructing me to crash into back of one of the police vans driven by the police inspector further up the road at as slow a speed as possible on a 60mph road ... and police van would then brake slowely to force my car to stop.

It was terryfying to be in this situation.

Here is some photos which were taken of me with police patrols all round me and inspector in police van driving by my side trying to calm me down and telling me the plans to help stop the car.

After coming to a stop, the car just started moving on its own again as soon as police van moved forward ..... so police officer jumped into my car and once again we had to force car to hit police van to stop car moving.

It was like the car was driving on its own, and having no control was really stressful.

5 hours later, RAC turned up to rescue me and got home at 5.30am ...

Well, at least i am safe and well .... and have lots to thank these police officers for .... with their calm head in deciding a safe way to bring my car to a stop.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I mean, forget about it being an electric car, it could have burst the master cylinder or something rendering the brakes useless. If it uses a pressure sensor in the hydraulic lines for the brake light switch no pressure=no signal telling the ECU to shut the motor off as any electric cars I’ve driven don’t allow left foot braking. As soon as it sees the brake it kills the motor even if the throttle is buried.
When an electronic parking brake is activated if the car is driving it emergency brakes through the ABS module to all 4 wheels, doesn’t simply wind on the two motors on the rear wheels.
My money is on something hydraulic circuit related rather than ‘dAnGeRoUs ElEcTrIc CaR’

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@swansty I know, WTF? Bizzare thinking, call the wife instead of the cops. Having said that, I have known people to ring their family when family members are in a bad way.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I mean, forget about it being an electric car, it could have burst the master cylinder or something rendering the brakes useless. If it uses a pressure sensor in the hydraulic lines for the brake light switch no pressure=no signal telling the ECU to shut the motor off as any electric cars I’ve driven don’t allow left foot braking. As soon as it sees the brake it kills the motor even if the throttle is buried.
When an electronic parking brake is activated if the car is driving it emergency brakes through the ABS module to all 4 wheels, doesn’t simply wind on the two motors on the rear wheels.
My money is on something hydraulic circuit related rather than ‘dAnGeRoUs ElEcTrIc CaR’
Atleast in a normal car you could turn the engine off or put it in neutral.

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
Looking on the news last night about that bus crash in Venice, i expect some of the death being attributed to the battery going on fire and the fire service not being able to stop it. A scary concept that you can be stuck inside a vehicle post accident and the batteries explode while you are trapped inside.

"The bus company emphasized that the 13-tonne vehicle was electric, discounting earlier reports that it also ran on methane gas. Fire brigade commander Mauro Longo told Il Gazzettino website that the bus's batteries caught fire and made the task of clearing the bus a complex operation.
Witnesses said they could hear people screaming but the flames were too high to intervene.
"

snipped from the below article

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I wouldn't be willing to experiment with it but it lets me switch into drive and reverse when moving.
Looking on the news last night about that bus crash in Venice, i expect some of the death being attributed to the battery going on fire and the fire service not being able to stop it. A scary concept that you can be stuck inside a vehicle post accident and the batteries explode while you are trapped inside.

"The bus company emphasized that the 13-tonne vehicle was electric, discounting earlier reports that it also ran on methane gas. Fire brigade commander Mauro Longo told Il Gazzettino website that the bus's batteries caught fire and made the task of clearing the bus a complex operation.
Witnesses said they could hear people screaming but the flames were too high to intervene.
"

snipped from the below article

1696494314004.png

In remarkably good condition for being on fire.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
We have a piece of kit on trial at the moment in work, we've the only one in the country at the moment and have to feedback on our thoughts.

It's basically a EV charger handle with its own power supply. We plug it into the charge port and it kills the EV powertrain. Essentially telling the car it's on charge.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The fact that it landed in the roof from a big height with all the heavy parts of the bus now above the passengers would be the main issue here. Bad times.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That's funny, same car, my friend was held hostage inside her MG for 4 hours at least - couldn't turn it back on, couldn't open the doors, couldn't unlock it. Not sure really how she got out but it involved a software update (somehow)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Good to see the true spirit of MG hasn’t been lost since production moved to China.

Atleast in a normal car you could turn the engine off or put it in neutral.

What about keyless start/stop in a ‘normal’ car?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Good to see the true spirit of MG hasn’t been lost since production moved to China.

What about keyless start/stop in a ‘normal’ car?
Never had a car with that but is there not still a stop button.

I suppose if it was a software issue you might be able to switch off the engine anyway you might be able to stall it.