Biking, is it a death wish?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Hel

RMS Regular
Heading for my 1st track day next Friday. Well Woolsey coulter ART day. Try to get up close and personal with the blade. Maybe even get the knee down (all weather depending!)

Wish me luck!

Woolseys a good lad, will sort ya out. Done a looooad of his days. Enjoy

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Ive never done a track day but always had the urge to do it.

My old man does them regulary but when I look at his friends, some of which now struggle to walk, get out of bed, play with their kids etc it puts me off. A friend is having to make the big decision of possible leg amputation as he has been left with long term issues when a skin graft wasn't successfull, he has to tend to a leg wound each day and is now on morphine daily, all steming from a failed skin graft 20 years ago!

Then I watch moto GP with a few beers and im raring to get a track day sorted.

For what its worth by old man will rarely take a bikes out onto the road anymore, traffics too heavy and the fun is gone worrying about ending up in court.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
For what its worth by old man will rarely take a bikes out onto the road anymore, traffics too heavy and the fun is gone worrying about ending up in court.

Traffic can be a pain, but I notice if I'm ever in work on a bank holiday, the journey by bike just seems too dull when the roads are quiet. Riding a bike through town traffic is definitely one aspect of biking that I get a kick out of.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I finally got back to get my CBT finished, cat A as I did it on a 650. First lesson done as well, going to get the theory out of the way and work towards the off road test.

I don't think I'll bother with the 125, I had a spin on one again and it felt gutless compared to the 650. I'll bide my time, get the licence and buy something decent.

Last edited:

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I'm making some progress. The theory is done and dusted and I've my off road test booked. Also got impatient and bought a 125, it'll help get me through the on road test as well. I've managed not to die as well, so far anyway.

Last edited:

Hel

RMS Regular
:grinning:

Attachments

• Snapchat-1256230551592015124.jpg
    Snapchat-1256230551592015124.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 134

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I'm so old that I have no idea what that is but I presume it's an achievement so congratulations!

I'm not that young myself. They changed the test, I think it was in 2013. To get a licence now you have to do the CBT (one day basic training), the theory test, the mod 1 off road manoeuvres test and the mod 2 on road test.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
CBT last Sunday, off road test on Tuesday and on road test done yesterday, done and dusted!

Can't wait to get me a few bikes once this house is built.......have a whole list of bikes I've always wanted to work my way through lol.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
CBT last Sunday, off road test on Tuesday and on road test done yesterday, done and dusted!

Can't wait to get me a few bikes once this house is built.......have a whole list of bikes I've always wanted to work my way through lol.
Bikes are gay, just get that Noble bought.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C

Hugh was telling me about you. Had you rode bikes before?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Hugh was telling me about you. Had you rode bikes before?

I done a CBT in 2001 on a 125 and let it expire, but that was the first time on the bigger bike. Actually find it a lot easier than the small bikes. Plus Hugh is some teacher!

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I done a CBT in 2001 on a 125 and let it expire, but that was the first time on the bigger bike. Actually find it a lot easier than the small bikes. Plus Hugh is some teacher!

That's good going. I find the bigger bike to be a lot more stable.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Definitely! A lot easier to get round the cones for the off-road part, plus you dont have to rev the balls off it to get anywhere.

Dominoka

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova/Vento
Sorry I've missed this thread so far! Definitely some good advice above - to add my 2p - always ride a bike you are comfortable with, I would never ride a sports bike because I find them too uncomfortable (the foetal position!). I prefer a 'sit up and beg' position, but thats just me - one of my best friends rides her GSXR like a pro - so do whatever suits you.
Also when filtering in rush hour, you will get some assholes who will deliberately move over to block you, or potentially knock you off, because they're jealous that they can't get home as quick as you! There was one dickbrained, slack-jawed idiot on RMS a few years ago who offered to knock me off my bike - I haven't seen him since, but hes in for a swift helmet to the side of the head if I ever do.

Ride as if everyone else is out to kill you, but enjoy it! It will make you a far better driver and pedestrian as well! I am dying to get another bike again - hopefully in the new year, will be glad to have as as many like minded RMS'ers out there on 2 wheels as possible - the roads will be safer! :grinning:

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Also when filtering in rush hour, you will get some assholes who will deliberately move over to block you, or potentially knock you off, because they're jealous that they can't get home as quick as you!
Never understood the mentality of people who do that. Anytime i see a bike lane splitting in the mirror during rush hour i always move to the side to let them past....usually results in a wave or thumbs up from the person on the bike.

I only passed my test about 3 years ago i think. I love being out on the open road during a sunny day when the road is clear, however i always come back mentally exhausted because i am on my guard so much against other road users.

Last edited:

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Why did I have to look in here. I've just read Guy Martins 2 books and it has reignited my interest in getting my licence.

Had a notion of doing it 8 years ago, then a fortune teller asked if I rode motorcycles, when I explained I was looking into it, she said I would be dead within 2 years. Load of balls I know, but back then I'm sure I would have been dead a lot quicker than her estimate lol. Licence and a track bike would be the way forward I think. There is enough morons who can't see me on the road in a lorry 1500 miles a week ffs!

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Get it done @Steviegsi, I've been riding bikes for a good few years and nothing comes close to the feeling of sitting on an engine and if anybody tries to be johnny big balls at a set of lights, you can pull a big wheelie and never see them again!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.