Bit of a pile up

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Just curious. Yesterday in Ballymena everyone seemed in a rush. All a sudden on approach to the roundabout at tesco heading by the cinema, I had to do a brave sharp emergency stop, everyone in front seemed to throw out the anchors too.

I got stopped fine.with feet to spare. As did the woman behind me. I avoided burying into the car in front and I never got hit from behind. However the person behind me got hit right and hard.

I stopped and checked they were ok and did give my name and number in case required. But just curious.
I'm not going to get caught up in this blame game ?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
No should be travelling at safe speed and distance from car in front to be able to react... You were only reacting to what was happening ahead and were in a position to do so safely

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Ye that's what I imagined. No doubt, it was tight and happy I had new decent rubber on front. As it was damp. Typical Christmas traffic really.
It's funny, I knew for sure if I don't get buried someone behind me is going to. Car was in 1st gear before even came to a stop to crawl forward to avoid a rear ender. Looked in my mirror just as I brought the clutch up and seen the headlights jump out from behind the car behind me.

No one else stopped at all. Young girl in the 'offending' car and a young mum in the other car with 2 kids in back. Was a fair dig. Told them to sit down n relax n call there relatives

Reactions: wes

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Been in a couple of these before. Stopped and then the ones behind me piled into each other. Nothing ever came of it as it was always their fault. Using crap tyres, driving too close and too quickly. Don't worry about it :grinning:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Just curious. Yesterday in Ballymena everyone seemed in a rush. All a sudden on approach to the roundabout at tesco heading by the cinema, I had to do a brave sharp emergency stop, everyone in front seemed to throw out the anchors too.

I got stopped fine.with feet to spare. As did the woman behind me. I avoided burying into the car in front and I never got hit from behind. However the person behind me got hit right and hard.

I stopped and checked they were ok and did give my name and number in case required. But just curious.
I'm not going to get caught up in this blame game ?

Photographs, photographs and more photographs ( and video footage )

Showing where you all stopped, and in your case the fact there was no contact made either front or rear with your vehicle and also noting registrations of any vehicles involved, people involved etc

Cameras dont usually lie, people do.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
I odly enough was heading to a Christmas peee up in Antrim and left the car at the stables it's sat there since, beside the police station. Was kicking round the idea getting a officer to take a note at condition of my car as is. Just in case.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Christmas, presents, shops, shut up in the back, where to park, need to get, something for dinner, hair, mirror, shops, shops.....BANG!

Reactions: wes

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
you weren't involved injured or damaged or caused anyone injury or damage... If it's like you've described I would forget about it and if anyone comes knocking just be explaining what happened

Unfortunate situation for everyone ahead or behind that got hit

But If you had got out and took few snaps side on to show dust between you and car in front/behind woulda been good but I honestly wouldnt worry

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Ye. Over worrying. Just hear how insurance companies go etc

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Was nice of you to stop and offer assistance.

I'd be calling that a good deed and wouldn't worry about getting caught up as you weren't really involved beyond being a witness.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Been wondering about something similar to this recently,if I'm sitting at the lights and there's a car behind me,and a car hits the back of him which pushes him in to me,who's insurance would pay for the damage to my car? The car behind me as it was his car did the damage,or the car which hit him pushing him into me?

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Between this and leaving your card in the shop yesterday wasn't great for you mate lol

wes

RMS Regular
@EP82JM your supposed to leave enough room between yourself and car infront, incase of a shunt behind, or if car infront gets into trouble and you need to minuvre round etc. So car behind would pay you, car that hit him from behind would pay his

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
@EP82JM your supposed to leave enough room between yourself and car infront, incase of a shunt behind, or if car infront gets into trouble and you need to minuvre round etc. So car behind would pay you, car that hit him from behind would pay his

No you arent, and if you believe that, how much room would you deem to leave ?

When I got rammed from the rear at a red light, I got shoved through the lights about 3-4 car lengths and that was in a 30 zone.

Nobody in their right mind would suggest you leave 4 car lengths or more in front when sitting at traffic lights in case someone hits you from behind.

About 15 years ago in a friends car we were hit from behind in a 40 zone by a 40ft lorry and we stopped about 300ft up the road. That would be even less practical to leave that distance

It would be an awkward one for insurance as technically the car behind you would be an innocent victim too, so his insurance shouldnt have to pay. But we all know how innocent victims get treated here or when it comes to insurance.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi Eager,

As per most of the advice here.

You didn't really have to exchange details with the circumstances that you described, but if ever you're unsure it's better to adopt this approach.

The highway code (see link below) stipulates that you should leave enough space between you and the car in front to be able to stop. Which although you were up against it and had to carry out an emergency stop you managed to do.

http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/126

You successfully carried out an emergency stop, as did the lady behind you. Unfortunately, the people behind couldn't.

Even if you had been hit in the rear in the line of traffic, the incident, from an Insurer's perspective this wouldn't have been your fault.

Kind regards

Tony

P.S. Nice touch stopping and making sure everyone was ok - less people do that these days, but you would want someone to help your friends or family in this situation. It's totally the right thing to so and shows you're made of the right stuff, particularly as women and children were involved.

No one else stopped at all. Young girl in the 'offending' car and a young mum in the other car with 2 kids in back. Was a fair dig. Told them to sit down n relax n call there relatives

wes

RMS Regular
A driver needs to be able to judge a safe separation distance at all times, in all kinds of traffic, in all weather and road conditions.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
That's the idea.

In practice it's not always practical or easy to do, particularly where you're up against erratic driving from other people ("space invaders" for want of a better phrase) but this is where driving experience and being used to your (or other) vehicle's you drive helps out. You're familiar with how the vehicle handles, stops and what it's capable of.

Kind regards

Tony

A driver needs to be able to judge a safe separation distance at all times, in all kinds of traffic, in all weather and road conditions.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.