Bleeding Air, Priming Injection Pump

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Cheers! I got it polished down lastnight and it slides on there freely. I think its going to work (touch wood!) so I will get it all back together today. I'm going to run out and get some new fuel lines too because I don't want there to be dirt in there and it destroy my pump again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Id say that little bit of grit jammed the collar to the plunger and ripped the little ball on the lever clean off.
Theres no harm in trying the damaged plunger.... let me know how it works out?

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
I got it all together and rotated the shaft while looking inside, everything moved smoothly so I buttoned it up and put it on the truck. Set the timing again and tried to start it. Oh I also replaced all the fuel lines and put an inline filter right before the pump just for extra security. I used the primer and got fuel to the pump, tried to start it and no luck. Opened my injector lines and just #3 is squirting fuel well at least I know it's getting fuel out but only 1 cylinder. I've bled the life out of it and no luck. I turned the engine over probably 8-10 times for 10 seconds at a time as well as primed it. Seems when I prime, that fuel goes out the return line back to the tank. I thought it would build up pressure in the pump as you prime instead of going out the return? Is there some other problem causing that?

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Oh and you're spot on about the bit of grit jamming the collar on the plunger. That's exactly what happened.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
They take quite a bit of cranking to get them bled.
I was always hook up another diesel car running to get it cranking fast enough after a pump rebuild.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
I have it connected to the charger on the 90 Amp setting so it should get enough juice. I'll keep cranking it tonight and see if it can get any more fuel out.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Is the solenoid definitely allowing fuel through?
Could you have got the cam plate/ plunger 180 degrees out therefore the completely fecking the timing up?
The woodruff key next on pump pulley should correspond with the cutout on the plunger foot.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
I presume its allowing fuel through. It 'clicks' when I turn the key and I'm getting fuel out the screw thats in the middle of the outlet ports. When I prime the pump with that screw off, fuel pours out of there, so I know the fuel is getting down that far, past the solenoid. I made sure the cam plate / plunger was the same orientation as the woodruff key.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
To be sure id remove the plunger from the solenoid and try it to rule out the solenoid.
Youl have to stall the car if it does start

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
The solenoid seems to be working fine. I got fuel out of injector 2 & 3 now but I tried & tried pumping/cranking/pumping/cranking for over an hour last night and nothing out of #1 & 4 :confounded:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.