BMW star rated tyres X Drive

dempster__

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 M3
Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on using star rated tyres on BMW X-Drive cars? I recently purchased a 330D X drive which had Goodyear runflat star rated tyres but 2 of them have bulges and from my previous experience it seems that any runflat tyre bulged pretty easily. I do a lot of miles so just wondering has anyone swapped out the star run flats for a good brand which isn’t star rated? I know BMW say that you need to put the proper tyres on or it messes with the X-Drive system.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It’s absolute horse ****. I’ve had an X3 and X5 which both had start rated tyres from new, and the transfer case went in both.

The transfer case on my current X5 is also on the way out and it’s only had star rated tyres too.

Do not waste your money. Stick to a decent brand and make sure they are matching treads on the same axle.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It’s absolute horse ****. I’ve had an X3 and X5 which both had start rated tyres from new, and the transfer case went in both.

The transfer case on my current X5 is also on the way out and it’s only had star rated tyres too.

Do not waste your money. Stick to a decent brand and make sure they are matching treads on the same axle.

What way does it work with warranty?

Parents are always moaning about cost of tyres for their X3 but I’ve advised them to stick with star rated ones just in case they ever need to make a claim.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yes, that is the question. I haven’t been through the small print, but I don’t know if there would be something in there to say you have to use BMW approved tyres. While under warranty I feel they have you over a barrel a bit. My warranty expires in January and the fronts have about 3mm left. I would like the symptoms to progress a bit before I book it in, but need to do it before the tyres need changed!

Both of my previous cases were outside of warranty, Colm Hyland actually replaced the clutch pack within the transfer case whereas I reckon BMW would just replace the whole unit. However I fully expect them to say there’s nothing wrong with the car or they can’t find a problem.

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
I think warranty wise it does affect them if the transfer case goes but mine is well out of warranty with 100k miles now. Probably good to keep with the OEM spec'd tyres but once again speaking to Colm he recons just keep good tyres on with the same tread across the axel.

Jason

RMS Regular
I've had customers spend thousands on tyres that are star rated and their case go, guys run on budgets with no problems lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’ve one of those roadside repair kits with the rubber strips and a compressor in mine that don’t have a spare. Never needed to use one though as have always been able to keep enough air in it to get to a garage with just the compressor.

Apart from that one time I burst two in a pothole down south which resulted in a complete reaming!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I actually ditched them on my previous X5, but would be a bit more reserved now after having a puncture a couple of months ago.

I always just planned to avail of breakdown if I had 1, but not a bad shout just keeping a gator and compressor in the car.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

So, I had the X5 in Bavarian a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed the transfer case was playing up. However as part of the process of elimination they have to ensure it wasn’t the tyres causing it. The fronts have 3mm and the rears have about 6mm, therefore the difference falls outside their allowable tolerance (can’t remember what it was now). I proposed fitting my winter wheels now just to allow a test on tyres with even tread, albeit I was convinced this wouldn’t make a difference.

I’ve just fitted said wheels and went out for a spin and unbelievably the symptoms have gone. Absolutely crazy that just 3mm tread between the front and rear axles would have such a major impact on how the car drives. Such a ridiculous system!

dempster__

RMS Regular
OP
dempster__
Drives
BMW E92 M3
That is very interesting to know! Just out of interest are they star rated? I’ve just put a set of 704M onto mine with dunlops on the front and Bridgestone on the rears both RFT star rated but I think there’s maybe 2/3mm difference between front and rear.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yup star rated. I will not be replacing them with star rated again though.

The winter tyres are Pirelli non runflat and it drives 10 times better. So will be getting the likes of Hankook non run flats next instead.

Will pop the original wheels back on for a few weeks and put up with the jerkiness to use up the 3mm!!

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Great timing. My 135 needs two tyres, and will need to be star rated. Only 10k miles on the car ☹️. Havent looked yet, but can you get star rated from your usual tyre place or have BMW put you over a barrel

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Yup star rated. I will not be replacing them with star rated again though.

The winter tyres are Pirelli non runflat and it drives 10 times better. So will be getting the likes of Hankook non run flats next instead.

Will pop the original wheels back on for a few weeks and put up with the jerkiness to use up the 3mm!!

Surely if it’s causing minor issues it could end up causing a more major issue

It may be an over sensitive system but is it really worth the risk for a few hundred pound of tyre life?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I get what you’re saying, but ultimately it’s still under warranty.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I get what you’re saying, but ultimately it’s still under warranty.

BMW now know you are running tyres outside of allowed specification

You have already given them the reason to reject the warranty claim

Clearly it’s your choice but from my experience on an OEM side you are taking a risk now

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I was through this with BMW UK when I had both my xdrive cars. I asked the question as to whether the warranty would be invalidated if I fitted non-star rated tyres. They said the warranty would still stand and kindly put that in writing for me.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So, I had the X5 in Bavarian a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed the transfer case was playing up. However as part of the process of elimination they have to ensure it wasn’t the tyres causing it. The fronts have 3mm and the rears have about 6mm, therefore the difference falls outside their allowable tolerance (can’t remember what it was now). I proposed fitting my winter wheels now just to allow a test on tyres with even tread, albeit I was convinced this wouldn’t make a difference.

I’ve just fitted said wheels and went out for a spin and unbelievably the symptoms have gone. Absolutely crazy that just 3mm tread between the front and rear axles would have such a major impact on how the car drives. Such a ridiculous system!

Fitted the summer wheels again at the weekend. I had 2 new Goodyears put on the front a few weeks ago, and there is still 5mm left on the rear Bridgestones. The juddering has returned, so now I need to replace the rear tyres too.

Worst system ever.

worky

RMS Regular
Drives
M135i
I can’t recall exactly but if memory serves me right I was guided to keep the tolerance between the axles to less than 2mm….

Which in reality if living by that rule means changing all 4 tyres at the same time if being changed for wear reasons.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
I've just stuck two fronts onto the M135 xdrive, going to look at the rears tread depth, but they won't be being changed I'll just scrub the fronts down few mil