Boycotting petrol stations email

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cro

RMS Regular
Anyone else received this email? Basically another idea besides the 'dont buy any petrol on 'x' day of the month'

I'm not too clued up on the price of oil at the mo but from the email it says its very low and the price of fuel keeps increasing.

Someones idea to boycott Esso and BP fuel, apparantly the biggest 2 fuel providers in the UK.

Personally I usually dont buy from either but I can see the idea behind it. Hitting them in the pocket, but asda, texaco etc laughing their ass off and rubbing their hands together

AndyG

RMS Regular
Could start a price war which would be excellent..

Although will enough people do it?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Do they not all buy from BP and Esso anyway? I can't imagine Asda are out drilling for oil! lol

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
I think it would be epic if all Private Transport came to a standstill for a day, the Government will then realise how important the Motorist actually is to the economy instead of making it more expensive forcing some people off the road it should be decreased (back to 80 odd ppl) to encourage spending, but alas that would be too smart for our Government

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Seen this tried before, it's ridiculous. People will either need petrol on that day, or will put in extra the day before/after to compensate for it. The petrol stations may have one quiet day but they'll not be out much money.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
This has been going since petrol was 89p a litre. Is oil not over $80 a barrel at present I think that pretty high

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
was it not over $100 a barrel this time last year and it was only just over £1pl

Cro

RMS Regular
OP
Cro
With things like facebook and twitter being to huge these days and easy to spread info i'd say boycotting certain brands or using the smaller garages for a certain week or whatever could well be more a feasable option than the past no petrol at all on a certain day

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Weak pound against the dollar, increase in production costs, government still ripping the bag out of it tax wise. Think it's around $75/80 per barrel atm. When it was last this high the cost was twice that.

Boycotting pumps for a day or two will make absolutely no difference at all.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Its a really tough one -

Anyone running their own business isn't going to be happy with a traffic standstill, no work = no food on the table for little Jimmy.

Everyone gets their petrol from a handful of suppliers, so it doesn't really matter that much in the end if the bigger stations get boycotted.

Maybe a new bit of competition to liven things up a bit? Or something to get the fuel tax reduced (which is, don't forget, the major % of fuel costs)?

I'll start drilling for oil tomorrow! :laughing:
The_Beverly_Hillbillies.jpg

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
it would have no effect at all unfortunately and i work in a petrol station which hijacks peoples wallets when they lift the nozzle.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
ive thought for a long time that all these rises in petrol, will put some poor lorry driver out of business, at which point he'l loose the plot and attempt to assasinate half the goverment, or do something equaly stupid.....

Nigelo

RMS Regular
All these taxes etc.... I fear it's all a house of cards getting built higher and higher until some wee p***k comes along and whacks the table.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
tbh mate thats not the way it works! i work part time in a family run bp petrol station. as far as im aware there making 2 pence a litre, its not petrol stations are the blame its that c**t gordon brown whos getting approx 86p of the 118 your buying it for, boycotting the petrol stations wouldnt work and tbh is a silly idea as no matter what its gordons fault! well partially high due to the price of the barrel but gordon brown still getting all that percentage no matter what the barrel is.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I take it you're refering to Mr Irwin's post above.

ah no just saying generally from the first post how our petrol station works and im near certain most are the same bar your tescos and asda. it is a shame its so dear but again this is britain, dearest place in europe lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yes....let's all stop buying Esso fuel over here !!!!

Despite the fact they pulled out of Northern Ireland some years ago.

Why do people even read those stupid emails that have been going about for years ? In fact...reading is ok, but dumb enough to repeat them ?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
PMSL

Its exchange rates that are shafting us at the moment. Notice we pay for our fuel in sterling, not dollars ;)

Not alot the oil companies can do about that tbh

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
Those emails have been going round for years and years! Someone once sent one of these emails to everyone in my work...over 50000 recipients...and the email was 2mb...everyone started replying to all saying take me off this list...it killed our email for a day :laughing: Absolute waste of time...as most of the smaller fuel outlets get their fuel from the major suppliers (Shell, BP etc) anyway! All it does is cause some chaos at the pumps for us...the public...trying to get a fill up!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Its the bloody tax on fuel that's the problem, we need a revolution.

kurgan

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord
PMSL

Its exchange rates that are shafting us at the moment. Notice we pay for our fuel in sterling, not dollars ;)

Not alot the oil companies can do about that tbh

easily said, but it is the fact that I have never once heard of fuel prices decreasing due to exchange rates that is the injustice. When exchange rates go the other way at best prices stay the same and the next excuse is brought out of the cupboard.

we should be doing something though, even if it is pointless, just to try and show we can't take any more of this ****.

Sanz

RMS Regular
Drives
Fireblade
ive thought for a long time that all these rises in petrol, will put some poor lorry driver out of business, at which point he'l loose the plot and attempt to assasinate half the goverment, or do something equaly stupid.....

I agree, once one of the major haulage companies goes bust and others can't cope with the price increase the economy will suffer even more....who will transport the goods?

How can the Government justify the tax on fuel? Hike alcohol and tobacco up more and reduce fuel tax.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.