BP Ultimate shortage in Northern Ireland?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
There's a new station
Could you not just keep a litre of Silkolene pro boost in the boot?

I had heard Millers was meant to be very good too, but I'd still be very wary of horsing it on.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Aye from what our Silkolene rep says it'll add the equivalent of up to 2 RON but that's dependent on the quality of the fuel in the first place.

I'd not be fussed on going further than 75%ish throttle on a car that's mapped solely for 97.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
You're getting a bit confused. Topaz buy Shell SUL in bulk and import via Dublin docks which is then road transported into NI.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I highly doubt it. I would be hugely surprised if Shell were producing a 97 RON just for NI (which is full of derv rubbish) rather than shipping their standard 99 over.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'm not saying it's impossible, but I highly doubt it. I would be hugely surprised if Shell were producing a 97 RON just for NI (which is full of derv rubbish) rather than shipping their standard 99 over.

More so when there arent any Shell stations here.

Walder

RMS Regular
Does anyone add any additives to their diesel on a regular basis ? I can get super diesel pretty handy 2 mile down the road but it is currently at 126p a litre.

I have heard good things about bg244 for cleaning the car out. Has anyone ever used it and is it worth while? Im looking to then get something to top up normal diesel fill per tank, does anyone have any recommendations ?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Does anyone add any additives to their diesel on a regular basis ? I can get super diesel pretty handy 2 mile down the road but it is currently at 126p a litre.

I have heard good things about bg244 for cleaning the car out. Has anyone ever used it and is it worth while? Im looking to then get something to top up normal diesel fill per tank, does anyone have any recommendations ?
a guy at my work is running some 2 stroke in with his diesel and swears by it.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The money spent on additives would be better spent on this super diesel you speak of in the first place.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I use ultimate diesel all the time costs 5p a litre more but well worth it, I get around 45 mpg all short journeys. Egr valve has never been removed no issues at all. Imo the just drives better feels more responsive and a Ford with 253k on it that's unheard of :p. Additives are only as good as the diesel you put in, if it was me I would just run it on ultimate all the time.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I run BP ultimate and put a bottle of Wynn's Diesel clean 3 in every couple of months.

Never had a single engine issue and I must be on my 10th diesel daily now.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I run BP ultimate and put a bottle of Wynn's Diesel clean 3 in every couple of months.

Never had a single engine issue and I must be on my 10th diesel daily now.

Ever try any of the German ProTec products?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Never tried them Graeme.
Good stuff?

Apparently the best, TUV approved which is a big thing. We have a range coming into stock soon to replace some of the other brands that we have been carrying. Definitely more of a trade product though, whereas Wynns is a retail product that even Joe Bloggs will recognise.

Their Top Gun DPF clean and DPF Super Clean are supposed to be brilliant.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I never use ultimate diesel, as the 2-3 times I tried it made no ****ing difference other than costing more.

if it was genuinely any better and offered better economy, the hauliers would be using it. Can't say I've ever seen any filling up at one.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I ran ordinary bp diesel fora month 42 mpg and ultimate for a month 45 mpg. Not scientific in any way but it was similar driving. Maybe it's in my head but my car runs far better on it, pulls well in gear and very little reek.
I never use ultimate diesel, as the 2-3 times I tried it made no ****ing difference other than costing more.

if it was genuinely any better and offered better economy, the hauliers would be using it. Can't say I've ever seen any filling up at one.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I ran ordinary bp diesel fora month 42 mpg and ultimate for a month 45 mpg. Not scientific in any way but it was similar driving. Maybe it's in my head but my car runs far better on it, pulls well in gear and very little reek.

I tried a few times, my driving and mpg are consistent, and busy times could go through more than a tank a day. So my mpg is well known.

It drove no different on ultimate, no better and no worse. Sounded no different, and most importantly, made no difference to fuel used.

Although there's no reek out of mine anyway, never has been but it's only getting run in with around 450k on it.

Not saying it wont make a difference to some vehicles...but certainly on mine, it is a waste of money.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
I add that millers diesel pro stuff that u add to every full tank. Have noticed the mpg drop a little when not every fill ... It does 10 fills so I finish it and usually buy it on a bi monthly basis.

Must give the ultimate diesel a go as I tend to fuel from bp anyways ... Will need to get a fill or 2 1st before drawing comparisons

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
So.. Thinking about this a bit more. If the additives are added in to the tanker surely its a case of just adding more additive? Surely its like meth just add more to get a better cooling affect and reduce knock etc? Would that raise the RON enough?

If so I'm thinking the line is they can't do it but in reality its that they can get away with giving us 97 as our "max" RON because we'll pay for it?

Just a thought..

dingle

RMS Regular
OP
dingle
Drives
C63 AMG
So.. Thinking about this a bit more. If the additives are added in to the tanker surely its a case of just adding more additive? Surely its like meth just add more to get a better cooling affect and reduce knock etc? Would that raise the RON enough?

If so I'm thinking the line is they can't do it but in reality its that they can get away with giving us 97 as our "max" RON because we'll pay for it?

Just a thought..

I don't really know the answer to the question but I'm guessing it's along the lines of - If it was that easy we'd all be doing it!

Mark_C

RMS Regular

Just a thought..

You can do this quite easily by adding toluene. However strictly speaking it's not legal, as it's 'stretching' the fuel. Plus you look like a mad chemist at the filling station measuring out toluene.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I take it the likes of competition fuels aren't allowed to be used on the road? Although I'm sure you'd bankrupt yourself buying it all the time.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
I know one young lad who runs his mg zr on "race fuel" which always give me a goggle when I see him at tesco pumps in glengormley.

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
You can do this quite easily by adding toluene. However strictly speaking it's not legal, as it's 'stretching' the fuel. Plus you look like a mad chemist at the filling station measuring out toluene.
Do you not need a permit/license nowadays to purchase toluene?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.