Bump in the Snow

KGRANT

RMS Regular
Had a small bump in the snow tonight with Audi A4. Gave details to woman driver and got her name and number. No obvious marks or damage on her car and slight scrape on my front bumper. Told her to check car in daylight and let me know what she thinks. I didn’t apologise or accept responsibility as it was snow/ ice on a hill and car was unable to stop.

Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• DA1784A4-1690-478D-9D1B-BFF5763E4A86.jpeg
    DA1784A4-1690-478D-9D1B-BFF5763E4A86.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 592279D0-C845-479F-85AF-EF4171F89A35.jpeg
    592279D0-C845-479F-85AF-EF4171F89A35.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 158
  • D7E880DE-9586-4AD6-B014-AE5C570EF46F.jpeg
    D7E880DE-9586-4AD6-B014-AE5C570EF46F.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 163

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
Does she live close by? I would be inclined to go down in daylight and have a look, take a few photos and when you have done that give her a call and see what she has to say. You will know pretty quickly if she is being reasonable and if she is she should let you pay the reasonable repair costs and not go through insurance.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
From the look of it, it is your fault

Of course the weather is a key factor but you have to drive to the conditions

It’s tough luck but if the other car is damaged you will have to repair it through insurance or otherwise

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
It probably won’t be until tomorrow before you get a sense of whether they have damage or not and want to go through insurance. Until they’re back in touch it’s hard to judge but you’ll know fairly quickly if they have the holiday brochures out.

I had someone run into the back of me at a junction, I didn’t have time to assess it all properly so swapped details and said I’d be in touch that evening. There was a scuff on the bumper but wasn’t the worst thing in the end. I just told them not to worry - they offered to get the car valeted and although I didn’t take them up on it, it does show there are good people out there.

Also, in the past couple of weeks I arranged two cars to have bumper repairs for cheaper than my excess. The most frustrating thing there is it wasn’t me driving but again, it just depends on the parties involved and type of people - including whether you’re happy to cover it if it’s your fault. You do always run a risk of someone seeing a holiday in Benidorm as the solution 8-|

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Fault is fault regardless of using weather as an excuse.

Just depends how honest she is, or how sore her neck gets after speaking to family etc.

AC

RMS Regular
I remember reversing into someone in the centre of town a few years ago leading up to Christmas (with rear parking sensors, I still can’t work out how I managed to do it). My rear bumper needed plastic welded and painted but no visible damage to the other car bar a slight scratch. Chap told me not to worry given it would cost a bit to repair my own, wished me a Merry Christmas and went on his way. Still regret not getting his number though and sending him a token gesture.

Great to hear there are some decent folks about given the number of stories you hear about the claim culture here.