C1 Category Driving Test

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
My folks recently got a motorhome, and turns out you need the C1 category on your licence to drive it, which I don't have. They've had their licence for ages, so they do. I want to be able to drive the motorhome.

Does anyone know what's involved in getting the C1 test? How long does it take, how much does it cost etc?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
You will have to do a test and a theory. Where about are you? Most of the training schools are based out of Craigavon as its the main test centre for large vehicles

Father Stack

RMS Regular
OP
Father Stack
Drives
VRS
I'm in HIllsborough, but my folks are from just outside Lurgan, about 15 mins away from the Craigavon test centre. Any idea of cost?

mboyle290

RMS Regular
Drives
'91 Corolla GTi
You'll need to get a medical done ( mines was £65 ). Then you'll need to send away your licence to get your provisional entitlement to be able to do lessons. Usually the course lasts for a week and mines cost £750 including test fee.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
You'll need to get a medical done ( mines was £65 ). Then you'll need to send away your licence to get your provisional entitlement to be able to do lessons. Usually the course lasts for a week and mines cost £750 including test fee.
65 quid. you were robbed

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
I'm In the process of going for the hgv at the minute, my costs (so far) are: Medical £40, Theory £26 + £11, CPC case study £23(not necessary for privately driving your motorhome).

The practical and mod 4 next have to go round a few training companies next week to get a few prices, who suits best etc etc.

If I was you Gaz VW, I'd leap-frog the C1 and go for the C as its a useful thing to have if ever needed in the future.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
If I was you Gaz VW, I'd leap-frog the C1 and go for the C as its a useful thing to have if ever needed in the future.

This. Unbelievable how valuable it is.
I'l get a text or call from one of 4 different transport managers everyday to do a run.
Money would be too hot but if you've a day spare it's quickly filled in.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
OP
Father Stack
Drives
VRS
It's something I'll probably do down the line! I've a big holiday planned then it'll be house purchasing time when I return so I'm not willing to drop £700 on something I don't *need* at the minute.

We've been looking into it - apparently my licence entitles me to drive anything up to 3.5T, with up to 8 passengers. The motorhome falls in just under 3.5T. So it looks like I may be able to drive it after all!

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Tempted to do this myself, never realised it was so dear but my work reimburses all costs so that's something I guess

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
If you passed your test before jan 97 you can drive up to 7.5ton, if you passed after jan 97 you can drive up to 3.5 ton.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Maximum Authorised Mass - doesn't that include passengers?
Honestly im not sure. It sounds like it should but I was asking the question because I didn't know the answer.

Its on my to do list to get the class 1 at some point.
Time and money are both in short supply

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Funnily enough I used the same tutor for my Articulated course too lol

IMG_7300.JPG

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
What make model of motorhome is it? Most professionally 3.5T coach built motorhomes only have a plyload of 400kg or so as any good ford galaxy man may inform you...

NotKG

Banned
My folks recently got a motorhome, and turns out you need the C1 category on your licence to drive it, which I don't have. They've had their licence for ages, so they do. I want to be able to drive the motorhome.

Does anyone know what's involved in getting the C1 test? How long does it take, how much does it cost etc?

you don't aquire a C1, your thinking of a B+E. ?? aren't you

C1 is a tested extra entitlement

2016-04-28 21.25.43.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.