Cbt Training To Before Learning To Ride Motorbike?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
If you have had at least a provisional license for car/bike from before 21st Feb 2011 date, then you have until 21st Feb 2012 to not have to do CBT, you can just get straight on with the theory and tests, but you have to have passed your full on road test by that 21st Feb 2012 too :grinning:

Obv you're driving on the road in the Civic so you dont need to worry, but say you had just turned 17 and applied for your provisional now, then you would have to do the CBT as its after 21st Feb 2011.

Its why i pulled my finger out and got the test this year as well as a few others on here. You'll find more questions/answers/general guff in this thread also: http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/bike-test-1st-bike-help.119300/

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Just checking through all this carp now. So I need to do a CBT to ride my 70cc bike on the road as a learner from next month? I passed my car driving test in the 90's.

I've absolutely no interest whatsoever in riding bigger/faster bikes. To be honest the scooter is probably going to do 50miles a year max anyway but I do want to be able to ride it. I'd planned to just ride with L plates up and not do the test because I don't want anything better.

I assume I've no other options bar change the engine for a 50cc?

I suppose doing a CBT as a complete noob isn't the worst idea in the world, just a bit annoying that I'll have to do a fooking test before I can learn to ride the bike or even take it for its MOT 8-(

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
probly work out near the same price to get the full test done then you can ride whatever cc group you want, also probably make insurance a tad cheaper too

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I believe I'll have to do CBT as well as test anyway from end Feb. There's no way I've the time or money to do a full test before then.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm hardly going to be in Norn Iron next month or for the remainder of the year tbh. No time for it before end Feb. Getting a day for CBT will be hard enough.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
if i want to do my motorcycle test in the next month then what do i have to do?

i passed my car test roughly 10yrs ago.

do i need theory?
hazard test or what ever?
then bike test?

i want to get it done before this end of feb thing

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
yea you need to do your theory test for a bike
then a manoeuvres test
then on road test
usually takes around 1 month or so depending on how busy it is to get booked in for 2nd part and 3rd part
thats the longest bit just having to wait for bookings

dannyfawcett

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3, 1.6 hat
yea you need to do your theory test for a bike
then a manoeuvres test
then on road test
usually takes around 1 month or so depending on how busy it is to get booked in for 2nd part and 3rd part
thats the longest bit just having to wait for bookings
Just like this... If you havnt got your theory done by now, theres basically no hope of passing your full test by 21st Feb...

My full bike test is on monday :grinning:

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
you could try and see lol i had my whole test done in less than 2weeks from i got the theory but then i did it the day b4 the manoeuvres test came in lol
plus the weather will start to get better soon so closer to july the more busy it becomes but at least your fingers are not falling off lol

dannyfawcett

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3, 1.6 hat
you could try and see lol i had my whole test done in less than 2weeks from i got the theory but then i did it the day b4 the manoeuvres test came in lol
plus the weather will start to get better soon so closer to july the more busy it becomes but at least your fingers are not falling off lol

The only way you could do it now is if you were freakishly lucky and got all cancellations. and had previous lessons id presume. But if someone can prove me wrong , theyre more than welcome :grinning:

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Sorry for reviving an old thread but now as its after February, what way would it work for me doing my bike test? I havnt even got my provisional yet (afaik anyhow)

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Get provisional,

sit CBT riding course

Do Theory test

Do Off road manoeuvres test

Do on road test

What he said, I did my CBT on Saturday past. Piece of piss bearing in mind that was my 1st time on a motorbike, but a rip off at £170......I do however agree that it should be sat for any noob's, maybe at half the price though.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
What he said, I did my CBT on Saturday past. Piece of piss bearing in mind that was my 1st time on a motorbike, but a rip off at £170......I do however agree that it should be sat for any noob's, maybe at half the price though.

What all did it entail then?

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I hear this cbt is like a 3 day course? At around £300 or am I being told wee porkys?

EDIT: my page just updated to show your post lappin. So I was being misinformed.

I have been on plenty of bikes in my time, but lashing a 250/400 scram up the back roads is probably a bit different to this test

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My mate did his CBT on Saturday past there and said for the £180 he was there for 9hrs, 4hrs of which were spent riding on the road.

Seems a rip off as i did the CBT 11 years ago in Scotland, and it only cost £75 then!! Wish i'd gone through with the whole test now instead of letting it expire after the 2 years and having to do it all again :mad:

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
9 hours?! Is this like the cpc test for the trucks? That has to be so many hours every 5 years. Or is the cbt a 1 off thing?

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
9 hours??? WTF.

We were told it would be circa 6hrs which could be done over 6 lessons or in 1 day. There was a book with 100 pages, every one to be ticked and signed, its a paper chase by the DVLA, but has to be done. We spent an hour at the paperwork, an hour or 2 doing off road training, slalom u-turns etc etc. Then on the road for an hour. Started at 9am and finished at 1.15pm. It seems to be at the discretion of the trainer as to how much actual tuition each individual needs which then dictates the time involved.

It only lasts 2 years, so if you dont complete your full bike test within 2 years, you must do the CBT again....

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I hear this cbt is like a 3 day course? At around £300 or am I being told wee porkys?

EDIT: my page just updated to show your post lappin. So I was being misinformed.

I have been on plenty of bikes in my time, but lashing a 250/400 scram up the back roads is probably a bit different to this test

Its not really a test per say, its really to see if you are competent on the road, and of course an excuse to rape your wallet. :mad: If i remember rightly one of the instructors said that you would need to fall off the bike to fail it.

jason912

RMS Regular
Drives
M3/M4/M6
Thank God I passed at the start of February before it was brought in. I was rushing to beat the CBT compulsory rubbish because its expensive as it is to get the full license. Between the theory, and 2 practical tests bookings and lesson package your talking around £400. Of course now you have to be relieved of a further £170-£200 for CBT :p Nitemare! I nearly give up during the process, in my opinion its a complete melt in comparison to the car license process, not because its overly hard but because its very drawn out!

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
From what I hear it's not overly hard all in all. But it's different horses for different courses. It took me 3 goes for my car test yet I got my class 2&1 on the first go with minimal training for each, fingers crossed for the bike test.lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.