Ceramic coatings.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Definitely the way forward, I've coated a lot of cars in it recently, and have had no complaints, makes maintaining the cars finish much easier as @big_pete said they are resistant to tar removers etc.

Of course they aren't completed scratch resistant, break out the dirty sponge and you will mark the finish.

If thinking about doing it yourself, practise is required, you'll have to machine polish and even sand off the coating in some cases if not applied correctly.

I can't remember the last time I used carnuba wax!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
They are resistant to tar remover??

Any preferred brand of tar remover as I have some on the car now which i need to take off but been worried about the coating

NornIron

RMS Regular
I'm getting Gtechniq Crystal Serum put on my Mustang when it arrives in the next few weeks.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Yes from what I have experience so far, that's using Autosmart Tardis

It will diminish the coating slightly, but a quick top up with a quick detailed can help to maintain the coating

Last edited:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Over the next couple of weeks im going to set time aside to correct the Jag.

Then im going to apply some Crystal Serum Light before I go on holiday.

In an ideal world id just leave this up to @big_pete to complete however the other half bought me everything I need to do a full correction for my birthday so Ive decided to actually use it lol Pete have your mobile switched on that day ;)

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
@ChrisL be very very very careful applying that. Make sure you apply it EXACTLY as per instructions and in a warm dry garage. If you mess up the application of it, it becomes a nightmare to remove and will leave the paint looking trashed

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
@ChrisL be very very very careful applying that. Make sure you apply it EXACTLY as per instructions and in a warm dry garage. If you mess up the application of it, it becomes a nightmare to remove and will leave the paint looking trashed

Yea mate got sent a few links to detailing world showing what I could end up with lol Its me after all, wouldn't be me without ruining something ive tried to DIY myself.

Im trying to acquire a garage from a mate to do the whole thing ... the curing of the serum seems to be crucial as you say.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Yea, you can be into wetsanding in some instances to rectify! Make sure it is clinically clean before application and wear gloves, even the oil of your skin can affect how it reacts etc

Not just cure time but proper methodical even coverage with the exact specified quantity etc. It amazes me that they sell it to the general public. The amount of professionally applied cars we have had to recitify never mind home application is crazy.

We only use gtechniq upon request now lol

Last edited:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
This could be harder than I thought ... ill maybe attempt a correction then leave it to you for ceramic coating application lol

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Yea, you can be into wetsanding in some instances to rectify! Make sure it is clinically clean before application and wear gloves, even the oil of your skin can affect how it reacts etc

Not just cure time but proper methodical even coverage with the exact specified quantity etc. It amazes me that they sell it to the general public. The amount of professionally applied cars we have had to recitify never mind home application is crazy.

We only use gtechniq upon request now lol

@big_pete do you find the other coatings on the market would be less forgiving for the average person to use? such as gtechniq c1 & exo? comparing to how easy waxing is and you basically cant go wrong waxing..

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I have never seen coatings that are fail safe. They all require skill to apply correctly and the preparation is also as skilled to get the car ready to apply.

Gtechniq and modesta seem to be the trickiest, the gloss it 11H we use is also very complicated however not as bad.

Cquartz is probably the easiest to use for a home user but they should all be treated with utmost care.

They dont feel particularly hard to use, they appear to go on and off easily. However uneven application will leave the paintwork looking patchy, reapplying won't rectify this, it needs removed and completely reapplyed.

If you use excess product or don't remove the residue correctly and your paintwork will look dull and hazy. Again complete removal and reapplication.

It isn't as simple as removing with IPA either, after full cure they will need aggressively machined and even wetsanded.to remove

Dave..

RMS Regular
I have never seen coatings that are fail safe. They all require skill to apply correctly and the preparation is also as skilled to get the car ready to apply.

Gtechniq and modesta seem to be the trickiest, the gloss it 11H we use is also very complicated however not as bad.

Cquartz is probably the easiest to use for a home user but they should all be treated with utmost care.

They dont feel particularly hard to use, they appear to go on and off easily. However uneven application will leave the paintwork looking patchy, reapplying won't rectify this, it needs removed and completely reapplyed.

If you use excess product or don't remove the residue correctly and your paintwork will look dull and hazy. Again complete removal and reapplication.

It isn't as simple as removing with IPA either, after full cure they will need aggressively machined and even wetsanded.to remove

Thats why you are good at what you do, if someone wants it done right they pay the price.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.