Cleaning Car Transporter (galvanised Steel)

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
Hey guys just looking some advice I have a Brian James A max car transporter. Overall the trailer is in great condition. Just a wee bit dull, with the general traffic film etc on it. What I was wanting to know what is the best product to clean this, without harming the galvanised finish. Was thinking alloy wheel cleaner though I am worried this might eat into the zinc coating. :-(

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
You won't strip the coating I don't think mate. G101 its intensive cleaner sprayed on and scrubbed them powerwash off. Or just get it steam cleaned

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
OP
Neil Kirkpatrick
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
I cant find very much info on the net About cleaning galvanised steel, though some say don't use acid base chemicals as this can strip the zinc off. So now I don't know what to do lol I have 5 litres of alloy wheel cleaner here but as far as I am aware it's acid based :-(. Don't really want to take it for steam clean as they normally do the quickest possible job and I want it perfect lol.
Where do you get G101 is it acid based

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
You can use most acids, but not a caustic.

I'd recommend using an alkali based cleaner / degreaser.

If you get stuck, give me a shout and I'll get you sorted with our cleaner.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
If it's coated in zinc, acid and alkali will react with it.

Alkalis often don't react with metal, but zinc and aluminium do, forming zincate and aluminate salts.

I'd maybe try a degreaser first - something thats more like a solvent to see what it can shift first.

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
OP
Neil Kirkpatrick
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
If it's coated in zinc, acid and alkali will react with it.

Alkalis often don't react with metal, but zinc and aluminium do, forming zincate and aluminate salts.

I'd maybe try a degreaser first - something thats more like a solvent to see what it can shift first.

Tried a wee bit of alloy wheel Cleaner on a hidden area that could not be seen and could be coated in something if the inevitable happened. It cleaned the trailer perfect and the galvanised coating seems untouched but as you said it has left a white residue behind when it dried. As soon as you scrubb it again with soapy water it disappears but when dryed again the residue reappears :-( so alloy wheel cleaner is def out.

Can anyone give me names of any of these cleaners that they think will be safe on the trailer

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
as Nigelo has said, try a solvent based degreaser on it. Tardis or the like.

I personally have used alkaline based degreasers which have always worked,

Deleted member 13907

D
You get a product called T-Wash, which removes grease etc without harming the galvanising.
I detail structural steel and have recommended the use of this for stripping grease, etc where we need friction between surfaces, so it does a good job.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
G
Tried a wee bit of alloy wheel Cleaner on a hidden area that could not be seen and could be coated in something if the inevitable happened. It cleaned the trailer perfect and the galvanised coating seems untouched but as you said it has left a white residue behind when it dried. As soon as you scrubb it again with soapy water it disappears but when dryed again the residue reappears :-( so alloy wheel cleaner is def out.

Can anyone give me names of any of these cleaners that they think will be safe on the trailer
Autosmart G101 will bring it up a treat. Spray on, agitate with a brush or sponge etc then spray off.

Procar usually stock it

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Reviving this from the dead.

Have tried copious amounts of citric based cleaner, with no joy.

Autoglym Wheel Cleaner has shifted quite a bit, but I do not wish to leave it soaking on any longer than the 5/10 mins I have tried due to the risk of ruining the galv finish.

The white powder as I understand it is a natural defense, so should just wipe off leaving a nice surface, unfortunately on mine it has heavy traffic film over the surface which I have TFR'd, Steam Cleaned, Citris Cleaned and Alloy Wheel cleaned - its still bloody there albeit not too thick now, I dont want to use any abrasives, but I want as good a finish as possible.

detailguy76

RMS Member
You get a product called T-Wash, which removes grease etc without harming the galvanising.
I detail structural steel and have recommended the use of this for stripping grease, etc where we need friction between surfaces, so it does a good job.

This must be a different T-wash to the one I have used! The T-wash I know is usd to prep galvanised surfaces for painting and it turns the surface black. You keep the steel immersed until it does this and it is a visual indicator wen the prep is done.

Smattyone

RMS Member
Drives
NP300
Hope it's ok to re-activate this old thread.
I'm just wondering if anyone has come up with a definite solution to Neil's original query for a cleaner for Galvanised Steel?
I have a T6 Transport Trailer and still seeking a good solution to help keep it as clean as possible without harming the Galvanising or leaving the white powdery residue.

Davytog

RMS Regular
Drives
GTD
Also called mordant wash and intended to passivate zince surfaces. It will likely cause the zinc coating to go black so perhaps avoid this. Its normally used to prep the surface for painting.