Coming Soon.... 2015 Honda Type R

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I loved the Concept, it looked amazing.
I think those rear arches are lost on the production model, def should have used the concept on that.
Also, I thought the whole point about VTEC was that you rev the nuts off it, that max's out around 7,000?
Maybe if they had of wanted higher they would have had to have a larger turbo on it, thus producing serious lag, but I think Vtec Type R - Screams REVVING the tits off the thing. Seems strange not to have that in this.
Bet its fun to drive tho.

To be competitive in its class, the new Type R needed at least 270bhp+ upwards. Honda engineers admitted if they wanted to do that on a mass production vehicle with an n/a engine which would be EU compliant and meet emissions regulations etc, that engine would need to be at least 3 litres - which would add a lot of weight and upset the whole balance of the car. Hence why they went with the 2.0 Turbo instead, like most are doing, but in doing so they've had to change the characteristics of the engine.

It still has Vtec, but it doesn't engage in the same manner as before (and there's no need for it to do so really, with a turbo) and is used instead to boost torque, smoothing the transition before the turbo spins up and thus reducing lag slightly.

Car Magazine's review says it still has an insatiable appetite for revs and isn't peaking too low like a turbo diesel does; it just tops out at 7k rpm instead of 8.5 or 9 like before.

Banned
To be competitive in its class, the new Type R needed at least 270bhp+ upwards. Honda engineers admitted if they wanted to do that on a mass production vehicle with an n/a engine which would be EU compliant and meet emissions regulations etc, that engine would need to be at least 3 litres - which would add a lot of weight and upset the whole balance of the car. Hence why they went with the 2.0 Turbo instead, like most are doing, but in doing so they've had to change the characteristics of the engine.

It still has Vtec, but it doesn't engage in the same manner as before (and there's no need for it to do so really, with a turbo) and is used instead to boost torque, smoothing the transition before the turbo spins up and thus reducing lag slightly.

Car Magazine's review says it still has an insatiable appetite for revs and isn't peaking too low like a turbo diesel does; it just tops out at 7k rpm instead of 8.5 or 9 like before.

Very informative there Gaz, cheers

Banned
Interesting.

Civic Type R has sold 800 units in the UK already.
Sold out until February.
Great sales!

jc7891

RMS Regular
image.jpg
looks like they have arrived

Gaz168

RMS Regular
When down to Donelley at Boucher to see if they have one in... Still no sign of one.. The guys said only potential buyer with a deposit and an affordability check need to carry out before any test drive is taking place...

Look like a lovely car but don't know will I be justify paying 30+k for a civic

johnboy888

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti
When down to Donelley at Boucher to see if they have one in... Still no sign of one.. The guys said only potential buyer with a deposit and an affordability check need to carry out before any test drive is taking place...

Look like a lovely car but don't know will I be justify paying 30+k for a civic

thing is you won't know you're a potential buyer until you've had the test drive
and the price of all machinery is only going one way these days they're all too dear for what they are

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
JC Campbell in Newry got one in today if anybody wants to go and have a look! Ask for Malcolm Murray, an uncle of mine and a fellow petrolhead who will look after you

Banned
Apparently the power steering failed and he went straight into the tyres.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
yeah but you drive an over 30k diesel bmw (when new most likely) ... nuff said

its a performance hot hatch styling not to everyone's taste and its an R variant which is more focused on drive and performance. at least honda made a call to design something thats different ... God forbid a car manufacturer do that in this day and age!

you drive a mundane diesel that looks like everything else on the road and choose to put your money in that

Last edited:

Gaz168

RMS Regular

its a performance hot hatch styling not to everyone's taste and its an R variant which is more focused on drive and performance. at least honda made a call to design something thats different ... God forbid a car manufacturer do that in this day and age!

you drive a mundane diesel that looks like everything else on the road and choose to put your money in that

Ok but you spend 30k on a diesel BMW the value in 3 years time will probably hold better than a Japanese hot hatch...
I know everyone have their own taste but however to be a potential buyer (deposit) and an affordability test need to carry out before you even get to drive it is a bit over the top..
You wouldn't even ask to do a affordability test when you go and test drive a high price "M" from BMW or an AMG FROM MERCEDES ...

colin84

RMS Regular

Didn't mean to offend :grinning:

But my car cost 8k, not 30k. 30k can buy some serious cars.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
No offense taken

I just find it annoying that people on here are quick to judge and listen to hearsay when they have no idea about the car and most importantly understand how it drives or performs.

Your original post was just running the car down with no substance and I thought it was a tad unfair.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Didn't mean to offend :grinning:

But my car cost 8k, not 30k. 30k can buy some serious cars.

I am a huge Honda and type r fan but it would need to be a serious car for me to hand over £30k for one. I would be in a nice M3 etc first.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Ok but you spend 30k on a diesel BMW the value in 3 years time will probably hold better than a Japanese hot hatch...
I know everyone have their own taste but however to be a potential buyer (deposit) and an affordability test need to carry out before you even get to drive it is a bit over the top..
You wouldn't even ask to do a affordability test when you go and test drive a high price "M" from BMW or an AMG FROM MERCEDES ...

I'd have told him to keep his Civic.

colin84

RMS Regular
No offense taken

I just find it annoying that people on here are quick to judge and listen to hearsay when they have no idea about the car and most importantly understand how it drives or performs.

Your original post was just running the car down with no substance and I thought it was a tad unfair.

It may have seemed that way, but I am a fan of the type R's in general and have had a Civic type R and Accord type R in the past. What I should have said is that although I love the interior in the new civic I think they lost it with the styling. The more I look at the concept against the finished model, the more it seems a missed opportunity. There was such a huge build up with the concept car, and then they go and stick on plastic rear arch trims on the standard shell.

Reactions: EP2

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
It may have seemed that way, but I am a fan of the type R's in general and have had a Civic type R and Accord type R in the past. What I should have said is that although I love the interior in the new civic I think they lost it with the styling. The more I look at the concept against the finished model, the more it seems a missed opportunity. There was such a huge build up with the concept car, and then they go and stick on plastic rear arch trims on the standard shell.
why are you justifying yourself if anyone is silly enough to pay 30+ for a civic which will be worth 10 in a few years let them.

wild disappointed to learn that is the finished model! guess they are looking at the bigger picture and that's a facelift model