Cut off by a lorry, any advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ben125

RMS Member
OP
B
Not so much side damage , but the left wing is definitely more damaged than the drivers side, ive been working so havent had time to check this/ put up pictures. I was really just wondering if anyone had been in this sort of situation before and how it panned out for them ? to be honest i think im just going to have to suck it up and take the hit .

Attachments

• IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 202

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ouch. Looking at that I reckon the insurance is going to say that you're at fault with this one mate :worried:

Ben125

RMS Member
OP
B
Thats the most straight on one ive got, cars in my grans driveway so i dont have to look at it everyday haha. Yeah coog thats what i thought :/ , would usually have ridden the bike to work , glad i didn't that day or id be dead i guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 178

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
I wish i did have a dash cam now ! It was night time with a bit of rain, yeah i had all my lights on etc , i just think he didn't check/didn't see me. i was beside him when he started to pull in so i slammed the brakes on but didn't get stopped in time so we collided. Yeah purplea4t thats exactly what happened ! although its hard to get the evidence to prove this i guess, solicitor reckons theres not enough evidence to take it to court

If you were alongside him when he started to come across into your lane,
He would have torn the side out of your car.

When you braked,
You were slowing down,
Whereas,
The lorry was still going forward.

So in theory,
You should have had either a close call,
Or
A side impact.

There's no way the lorry driver still going forward while you were braking can be at fault for a rear end crash.

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
To me it looks like you've hit the lorrys rear crash bar head on.
Or been trying some FastNfurious style stunts :p

Let the insurance companies fight it out buddy and put it down to experience (y)

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Ben that looks a rite balls up.. Can i give my pennies worth mate from a Lorry driver of 18 years and may i add this is my own opinion. I reckon the lorry driver might have seen you and pulled out anyway to overtake another vehicle thinking you would have time to slow down but you were shifting on a tad too much and going by the weather you couldn't get the anchors out in time and rear ended the trailer, by the look of those picks you hit the trailer rear steel bumper hard because as seen in the second pic ya can see where the rear bumper has stopped on your bonnet. Is this anyway close to what happened??

purplea4T

RMS Regular
That's pretty much what it looks like to me, but as I and others have said, let the insurance companies sort it out.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
i'm afraid i'm with some of the others. This was a straight-on impact with the rear crash bar of the lorry. That just can't fit the version of events you've provided. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the lorry did indeed pull out into your lane, but you were well back at that point and the speed differential caught you off-guard, you closed the gap much quicker than anticipated, couldn't reduce your speed quick enough and you rear-ended him.

Ben125

RMS Member
OP
B
Yeh OCD that's probably pretty close to what happened! It all happens pretty damn quick so it does haha. If non of my car was up the side then I was definitely inline with the back of him before he started to pull in. But it definitely wasn't a suitable time for him to pull out, which is the annoying thing cause now I'm out a car.

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
1.so it was raining.... 2 you noticed lorry.. 3 did you notice water spray fromlorry ? course you did you put your wipers on 2nd speed the lorry very close now opps ,,,I rest my case

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Comment from Hgv driver of 25 years.do u not know the 3 second rule . Look in mirror and see small sports car coming at access speed,put on indicator ,count to the indicator flashes 3 times then pull out into overtake lane and never worry as the car driver had plenty of time to brake really hard to let you out ,As long as they were not on a MOBILE PHONE at the time .only messing please don't take offence lol.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Best bet is push for 50/50 after seeing the pics and rest of the story. Hope things work out smoothly

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
That looks to be a fairly heavy front end collision. What speed do you think you were doing at the time of impact (given that you were braking at the time).

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Folks for the non truckers out there it would great to have some of you sit in my truck cab for a few days when i'm out on my runs, you would be shocked at the risks car drivers take when it come to trucks.

Mines is a 10 foot unit that pulls a 42 foot trailer with a load that can reach 44 tonne but day in, day out cars still take silly chances when it comes to trucks, have these idiots no idea what a truck like mine could do to there 1.5 tonne (average) car if there was a collision let me tell you it would really f*uk it up thats for sure.!!!

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Folks for the non truckers out there it would great to have some of you sit in my truck cab for a few days when i'm out on my runs, you would be shocked at the risks car drivers take when it come to trucks.

Mines is a 10 foot unit that pulls a 42 foot trailer with a load that can reach 44 tonne but day in, day out cars still take silly chances when it comes to trucks, have these idiots no idea what a truck like mine could do to there 1.5 tonne (average) car let me tell you it would really f*uk it up thats for sure.!!!

I always try to give trucks a bit of wider berth, so I don't get flattened lol. The bigger the truck, the wider the berth :grinning:

Chris_E90

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 320d, GSXR
Who you drive for O.C.D? Im sure i likely pass you on a daily basis. Im hard to miss with a 45ft double deck green 'poundland' trailer in tow

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Who you drive for O.C.D? Im sure i likely pass you on a daily basis. Im hard to miss with a 45ft double deck green 'poundland' trailer in tow
Yeh dude i see your trailer regularly, Who do i drive for ...well lets just say "Every little helps" LOL.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.