Defender Crash

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR/Defender
My cherished LR was hit near 2 weeks ago a man pulled out in front of me while I was doing 60mph, the impact sheared my wheel off with disc and caliper still attached!

I still haven't got the engineer to assess it which is very frustrating, would anyone in the know care to suggest if this will be repaired or scrapped? Pic below. I've been told the axle alone from LR is £10k...

20221206_084754~2.jpg
20221206_084808~2.jpg

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Buy it back, that is easily repairable (from looking at the pics). Seen ones a million times worse in Iraq etc which where repaired. Beauty of being a Defender.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Steering rack and suspension included in that 10k?
Buy it back, that is easily repairable (from looking at the pics). Seen ones a million times worse in Iraq etc which were repaired. Beauty of being a Defender.
💯 my crv was wrote off estimate £4K bill, bought it back for £700 and fixed it myself for £300

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
My cherished LR was hit near 2 weeks ago a man pulled out in front of me while I was doing 60mph, the impact sheared my wheel off with disc and caliper still attached!

I still haven't got the engineer to assess it which is very frustrating, would anyone in the know care to suggest if this will be repaired or scrapped? Pic below. I've been told the axle alone from LR is £10k...

View attachment 382975View attachment 382977
@Ged lives and breathes these things. Woukd have an idea, and also the ability to fix it.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
Looks like it will be declared a total loss to me, the category of total loss will determine whether you can repair it yourself and get it back on the road or if it has to be scrapped. Your insurer will probably try to make all the decisions for you leaving you with very little choice.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Remember you can choose your own repairer to fix it, don’t let your insurance company push you down the route of their own “authorised repairer”.

AG Automotive in Portstewart is the man I would be calling, he knows them inside out and owns a nice 110 himself. For any oily bits that he can’t sort himself, he has a great relationship with JLS in Dervock who he can call on for that.

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
OP
arnbeckett
Drives
GTR/Defender
Are you going through your own insurance? Buying it back definitely an option. If you want I can arrange for it to be assessed for you next week.
Thank you but crash are dealing with it, slowly, the man has accepted liability thankfully.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Thank you but crash are dealing with it, slowly, the man has accepted liability thankfully.

You can pretty much take it anywhere then if Crash are involved, they are very good for non fault accidents, but it’s a complete and utter money making racket. Lol

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Buy it back, that is easily repairable (from looking at the pics). Seen ones a million times worse in Iraq etc which where repaired. Beauty of being a Defender.
Agreed, used parts wouldn’t be mad money either.

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
OP
arnbeckett
Drives
GTR/Defender
You can pretty much take it anywhere then if Crash are involved, they are very good for non fault accidents, but it’s a complete and utter money making racket. Lol
I'm beginning to see that I have a 2022 pickup on loan at £227 a day, that near £7k a month!! If repaired this could go on for months, 2 weeks and not even assessed.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I'm beginning to see that I have a 2022 pickup on loan at £227 a day, that near £7k a month!! If repaired this could go on for months, 2 weeks and not even assessed.

They’ll be in no rush either if it’s a clear cut case. My dad had a similar issue, the claim just for the rental 3008 Peugeot was more than he got paid for the written off 2 year old X3.

Bodyshop who hold the damaged vehicle get £30 a day for storage.

Crash own the claims Mgt company, they own the car hire company, and they own the solicitor that will deal with any legal issues. Crazy, but they only exist due to the sheer uselessness of insurance companies.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
Having fixed quite a few looking at that the swivels snapped off your axle is probably fine. ive everything here to fix it new genuine, including new drive axle and CV, swivel brake caliper, disc etc I've an front axle here too. Wing skins can be bought and I've a front bumper here, really not a big deal at all chassis hasn't been hit I'd imagine though buying all new from landrover might write it off which is a shame.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
My Volvo went through crash for a non fault claim few years ago, i had an x1 as hire car for 3 days at 300 pounds a day which i figured was an absolute racket.

I remember reading the small print, there was a scenario where if the claim was ultimately refused i would be liable for the hire car costs - may be different now but something to keep in mind if you are in for a lengthy repair time

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Has it gone to a yard somewhere or do you still have the vehicle? Absolutely do not let it out of your sight if you want to hold onto it.

100% this, once they have it, any choices will be massively reduced. They have no right to take it without your permission as it still beloings to you until any payment has been received etc

Heard of too many people getting stitched up because the insurer took their car away, never to be seen again then offered ridiculous low payment for it

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
1000% do not let it out of your sight if you want to buy it back. Had a few 'assessed' as being total losses without anyone having ever looked at them. Got them back and fixed them myself for a fraction of the price with new genuine parts. As a few have said, that is fairly superficial really. Insurance is a legalised scam in reality unfortunately.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Has it gone to a yard somewhere or do you still have the vehicle? Absolutely do not let it out of your sight until you have agreed a value or agree to buy it back.
Fixed that for you.

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
OP
arnbeckett
Drives
GTR/Defender
Has it gone to a yard somewhere or do you still have the vehicle? Absolutely do not let it out of your sight if you want to hold onto it.
It is in the recovery companies yard but I haven't seen it, I need to get my license and tools out of it...