Drying Towels

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
Has anyone found a drying towel that actually dries a car?!

Any I’ve bought just seem to spread the water as opposed to actually soaking it up.

Making me edge towards a filter system for the hose or a blow dryer, but curious to see if anyone can recommend an actual decent drying towel before that.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Is your car coated? I bought a blower from Pro Car Care that just blows the water off. My car is ceramic coated and it works well. I don't think it would work as well with a car that isn't coated. The only downside is you look like a crazy person blowdrying your car. 😂
I also have towel from Sams Detailing which works well.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
The Gyeon Silk Dryer Evo is awesome, as is the double sided Autobrite Ultimate, although it can get heavy when very wet.

The Blo Air hot air dryers are brilliant, if you have the budget and storage that’s the answer for a well looked after car.

But towels and dryers only work efficiently if your car is has a good coat of wax or ceramic!

Marc C

RMS Regular
OP
Marc C
Drives
E46 325i Touring
The Merc’s pretty well coated, even then whatever towels I have now just spread the water out rather than actually dry it 😂

Thinking the best way might be to go down the blower route tbh

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Have you been washing your towels with detergent in your washing machine? They never work properly if you do that.

I have Blo Air GT and the wee hand held S in stock if you’re in the market for a dryer. 👍🏻

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
DI vessel, rinse off with an open ended hose. No messing about, just hose the thing and walk away. Great job.

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
I use a carpro dhydrate one. Does a great job but can become heavy when loaded with water.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
The towel @Big Pimp does is magic. I’ve had a brave few drying towels but his newest one is amazing.

Got this one recently myself. Really good job.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Have one of these, it's unreal the amount of water it absorbs. Never pushes water, at least on well maintained paint.

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Have you been washing your towels with detergent in your washing machine? They never work properly if you do that.
Second this. Could be a combination of washing with powdered detergent or softener, drying on radiator, or drying in the tumble dryer on a hot setting. All will destroy the fibers of the cloth reducing the absorbency.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Di Water vessel and air blower religiously - I haven't used a drying towel in probably 10 years

RCT

RMS Regular
I’ve a green one from @Big Pimp for work and seem very good. Obviously cars not coated there.

Otherwise yes I’d recommend a di vessel as others have said. My big boi blower blew up after 5 years on Saturday. I doubt I’d replace it, just use airline as I’ve massive air compressor, but definitely consider a vessel.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I have a big blo air GT and if Ive used it 10 times this year it'd be the height of it. Even with a coated car I find you're chasing every drop. Don't get me wrong - amazing for getting all the nooks and crannies, and especially before coating work etc its invaluable, but for regular daily drivers? too much faff!

I use the twisted loop towels with sheeted DI Water any time I'm drying the car. just so much easier and faster.

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
I use a Blo RS matched with a rinse off sealant which definitely helps…. The Klin Korea towels are superb, have a Carbon Collective collaboration one that works very effectively if laid on and patted dry again when matched to a rinse off sealant like Gyeon Wetcoat or Aqua Seal Pro….

Totally agree about the air dryers being a bit of a faff, and taking longer, and I also find they need a wipe down with a QD due to the forced air nature over drying water residue leaving light water marks

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
True the air dryer does take an age, its noisy, ringing ears after if you are not wearing defenders or listening to music for example, bit of a faff getting it out, storing and using, etc... but after 6+ years of weekly washes with no towel near my car, I have minimal swirls/marring across the car - I am happy to take a bit of time to dry it thoroughly

davyk31

RMS Regular
The best towel I have tried is the Sam’s Detailing one. I have tried several of the others mentioned here and the Sam’s one is a lot better. Absorbs a lot better with just one pass.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
The best towel I have tried is the Sam’s Detailing one. I have tried several of the others mentioned here and the Sam’s one is a lot better. Absorbs a lot better with just one pass.

Agree with this, was just about to suggest it as well.

Hands down the best drying towel I have used, and at this stage I’ve pretty much gone through all the usual options.

Willy599

RMS Regular
I tried the car blowers, now I just use a leaf blower as it takes 5 mins for the full car and then get the bits I've missed with a drying towel.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I have a Blo drier too but it does take a long time to do the car. The Sam’s towel is way quicker although at the moment I’m just rinsing with filtered water and leaving it.
Sam’s glass towel is also worth buying.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Did you buy the DI vessel locally? I might give that a go.

Pretty sure @Big Pimp sells them. He recently refilled mine.

99% of the water just sheets off and thats it done no messing about with cloths or blow dryers lol. If you wanted to polish it then you might need to dry but thats about it.