E46 M3 - De-Cats about to get fitted, Remap needed to turn off Engine Management Light

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

JTDi

RMS Regular
Hi All,

I've currently got an '02 E46 M3.

I'm about to get the De-Cat exhaust fitted today, but was warned that I'll need a remap to turn off the CEL light that will appear.

Firstly, can anyone confirm this? And secondly, who would you recommend to remap the car?

Many thanks

James

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Wherever you take it let us know the gains and difference in driving, would consider it for the ///M myself.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Wherever you take it let us know the gains and difference in driving, would consider it for the ///M myself.

I had a miltek with sports cats on my 1st black M3, it was pretty fecking loud and didnt feel much quicker, i didnt have a Map tho.

TT reckon 365ish hp with a Map tho.. :relieved:

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Auto tune should do this. Ryan sorted out his 535d and that thing boogies down the road in a big black cloud :p

Yeah I rang them, they quoted 250 all in for the remap!

Will do mate!

I had a miltek with sports cats on my 1st black M3, it was pretty fecking loud and didnt feel much quicker, i didnt have a Map tho.

TT reckon 365ish hp with a Map tho.. :relieved:

Was it a nice loud, or OTT? I've the SuperSprint backbox, and love the note from it, and its still nice and quiet inside the car. Im thinking that the De-Cat will add to the noise greatly in the cabin lol, I'm waiting to see what I think about it! I'd be interested to see what BHP is it currently then after a map tbh!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Was it a nice loud, or OTT? I've the SuperSprint backbox, and love the note from it, and its still nice and quiet inside the car. Im thinking that the De-Cat will add to the noise greatly in the cabin lol, I'm waiting to see what I think about it! I'd be interested to see what BHP is it currently then after a map tbh!

Personally i found it too loud, but there was also a cracked weld on mine when i took them off which could have made them alot louder! It was pretty boomy inside, i can only imagine a decat would be louder.

Infact heres a little sound clip of it..

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Just got the decats fitted ... It really feels like a much livelier accelerating car!! No Check Engine Light either :laughing:

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Few guys on M3Cutters said it would do when I searched through other peoples questions, just wanted to make sure! Could still be tempted by a remap down the line lol

Jason

RMS Regular
aslong as its reading clean air i cant see why it would unless there is precat sensors, but not sure. aslong as it doesnt id sail on

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
70 miles after getting the De-Cats fitted and the engine management light is on ... getting it read tomorrow just to confirm that its the exhaust sensors, and then it'll be up for a remap with autotune later to get rid of the Engine Management Light, although I have one other thing to try with the sensors first! Will keep this updated!

pablo

RMS Moderator
cant you unplug the rear sensors and bung the holes? pre and post cat senors to make sure the cats are working iirc.

think the problem there is the sensors are heated to keep the crap off so you need to be careful where you put them. I think you can buy caps for them to stop that being a problem.

ewok

RMS Regular
It will bring on the lights trust me i have miltek decat pipes on mine and i phoned everywhere autotune said they couldn't do it but torxtronics said they could but need the car for a whole day.
you have to get a lamba delete and possible maf delete its basically on the same lines as an alpha n remapp like csl oh i there a place in england can do it too lol they were looking 1000 quid and its not even their code its a famous tuners called master yoda

ewok

RMS Regular
Also i used the oul snap on solius to wipe codes for MOT it worked till i got to newcastle lol lucky enough and with throwing up lamda codes it throws up other **** aswell

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Seriously ewok? I spoke to Ryan @ Autotune and he said he could do the Remap & remove the Engine Management Light without any problems! Did you try and remove the Lambda Sensors and just bung up the holes on the decat and tie the sensors up out of the way?

I remember that there is a long thin sensor that plugs into the front of the decat, as well as the 2 lambda sensors, what is it?

Thanks guys!

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Cleared the fault, have done a few miles since and no Engine Management Light since, so I'll keep an eye on it. If it keeps making an appearance, I'll likely just get it mapped to sort it out!

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Not sure if BMW are the same but when you decat a k20 Honda and it throws up the EML all you usually need to do is fit a spacer tube to space the post CAT lambda sensor away from the exhaust fumes slightly, this makes the lambda think that the CAT is doing its job properly and clears the light

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.