E46 subframe mount torn from floor...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Sure nearly every modern car is spot welded together! Personally I'd prefer a seam myself though.

Good luck with the project!

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
Eventually got this sorted there the other day....

Some pics:

Boot floor and Box section cut
IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Mount removed
IMG_0668.jpg

All fixed up and painted
IMG_0675.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg

This video shows the mount moving when the clutch was lifted with the brakes on! Scary stuff!!

To get at the bottom he had to drop the subframe as far as he could without disconnecting brake pipes etc. To do this he had to loosen and remove the exhaust.
If anyone is ever doing this give me a shout and I will keep ya right. Easy enough job - although lots of welding required!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
How do you mean ewok? I thought they fixed thousands and thousands under warranty?

ewok

RMS Regular
How do you mean ewok? I thought they fixed thousands and thousands under warranty?

No they fixed them under a good will gesture and they stopped doing it supposedly 2 years ago but i am trying to say its a safety hazard trade and standards should have made them recall all cars to be fixed not just cars with a perfect service history

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
No they fixed them under a good will gesture and they stopped doing it supposedly 2 years ago but i am trying to say its a safety hazard trade and standards should have made them recall all cars to be fixed not just cars with a perfect service history

Hear here - they should have fixed them all - the design is not fit for purpose. They are all failing from fatigue failure rather than corrosion or wear. But I tried at the time to get them to fix mine but they weren't interested at all. Both Bavarian and BMWUK.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not good at all. Looks a tidy job chum.

She still going alright bar that?

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
not like its unique, swirl flaps, vanos, turbos etc etc.
True pabs - but as someone said to me the other day. BMWs/Mercs used to be 2 or 3 times the price of yer average Ford years ago. Now they maybe 1.5 times teh price. Hence corners have to be cut and quality is affected. This is the modern way!

ewok

RMS Regular
not like its unique, swirl flaps, vanos, turbos etc etc.

true true Pabbs but this is a structural defect that the engineers fecked up or a metal quality issue.
Imagine going round the nurburgring track giving her loads and then a full catastrophic failure you would be toast and the e46 would be the new widow maker

pablo

RMS Moderator
Id defo rather pay for that repair than a new engine because a little plastic flap came off tho. £500 vs £5000 (ish :p)

pablo

RMS Moderator
Never again lol.

But

The e46 petrols have a disa valve. Same sheite. You're safe tho Ms don't have them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.