E90 aftermarket head unit installation

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 M Sport
Hi all I have been reading online a bit with regards to installing and aftermarket headunit to my bmw e90. And also installing an amp and 2 subs.

Has anyone any experience doing this, and is it as much of a ballache as it is made out to be? Any advice welcome - even if the best advice is to keep it as is.

Cheers

Chris_E90

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 320d, GSXR
Also interested, picking up a set of subs and amp tonite then probs stop at halfrauds for an aftermarket HU aswell

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
Pretty handy swap over with the radio. I strongly advise trim tools other wise you will mark the dash. You will need to run a Ignition live to. 30 min job and you should be rocking

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
OP
thomas_lad
Drives
F31 M Sport
Cheers @wes but got one and all.

I have the trim tools and everything out @Big Andy just the wiring that is the prob. Seeing all horror stories about the steering wheel controls and that. Have you done an e90 before?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I can't understand why anyone would do this? Uprating speakers etc perhaps but to mess with the interior would just ruin it for me personally.

Chris_E90

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 320d, GSXR
Think im just gonna stick with the uprated speakers option. Use the HU money for a bit of decent speaker quaility instead, any suggestions what to go for?

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
OP
thomas_lad
Drives
F31 M Sport
I can't understand why anyone would do this? Uprating speakers etc perhaps but to mess with the interior would just ruin it for me personally.

What do you mean messing with the interior? it would just be a different HU with a surround to fill in the voids

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah

For decent sound I'd wager old bean!

First thing I do to my cars is upgrade the sound system without butchering the interior.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
OP
thomas_lad
Drives
F31 M Sport
Oh yes i know this but replacing a HU is hardly butchering the interior lol. BMW radios are hardly aesthetically pleasing lol

@Cartunes your recommendation on speakers is appreciated, any recommendation on a good system on a slightly lower price range? mine would only be the speakers as i dont have the tweeters in the a-pillar, or would these be easy to add yourself?

Chris_E90

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 320d, GSXR
So can you remove standard HU and replace with an aftermarket HU with a loom adaptor or what? Ive read a few things saying it messes with allsorts of milage counters n temp sensors and wot not. If its a case of simple swap with loom adapter and fascia then id change mine in a heartbeat, as thomas said they arnt to easy on the eye, very dated looking and i find when mines been on for a while the screen goes a bit wonky

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
OP
thomas_lad
Drives
F31 M Sport
So can you remove standard HU and replace with an aftermarket HU with a loom adaptor or what? Ive read a few things saying it messes with allsorts of milage counters n temp sensors and wot not. If its a case of simple swap with loom adapter and fascia then id change mine in a heartbeat, as thomas said they arnt to easy on the eye, very dated looking and i find when mines been on for a while the screen goes a bit wonky

Yes the link @Cartunes has put below will allow you to swap them over with all the wiring looms etc needed whilst keeping the mileage, temp sensors, steering wheel controls etc all working. but it gives you everything for a double din.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
What do you mean messing with the interior? it would just be a different HU with a surround to fill in the voids

For decent sound I'd wager old bean!

First thing I do to my cars is upgrade the sound system without butchering the interior.

Ah pass no remarks on me lol I'm just an aul stick in the mud. Never got the whole 'big sound system' thing at all. Id rather the engine, induction and exhaust all provide the entertainment.
My messing with the interior comment I only meant unless it looked factory fitted theres nothing worse but again thats just me lol.

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Ah pass to remarks on me lol I'm just an aul stick in the mud. Never got the whole 'big sound system' thing at all. Id rather the engine, induction and exhaust all provide the entertainment.
My messing with the interior comment I only meant unless it looked factory fitted theres nothing worse but again thats just me lol.

Horses for course young man! I've always been happy that my car reaches the speed limit.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
OP
thomas_lad
Drives
F31 M Sport
I just really want a better sound quality in the car, i dont play the music deafeningly loud. i just want the sound that is coming out now to be of good quality.

so i think upgrading the front door mids and adding tweeters to the a-pillars with oem tweeters surrounds purchased would be my best option. Anyone any recommendations for a decent cheapish (not too cheap that it will sacrifice quality) set of mids +tweeters for this? @Cartunes ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.