Engine failure, advice needed

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
So, time for an update.

I picked the car up today. The car, a 2016 BMW X5 with a full BMW service history has been fitted with a brand new engine, at zero cost to me. Paid for in full by the dealer who sold me the car.
My initial gut feeling on the dealer (born out of nothing only a general distrust of car dealers) was totally wrong, he couldn’t have done more to help me, he arranged pick up of the car at my house, he arranged a mechanic (highly regarded on here) to look at, assess, and repair the car, he gave me a loan car, he kept me informed me at every step of the way, calling me, sending texts and photo updates all the time. He also insisted on fitting a brand new engine to the car rather than a second hand one as in his words “I want it to be right”

This was customer service done right. At no stage did I have to argue with or harass or push the dealer to do things for me, he had it all covered from the beginning to the end, even following up afterwards to ensure I was happy with everything.

I am going to refrain from naming the dealership as I don’t know if he would want it publicised but safe to say I couldn’t be happier and would recommend him to anyone at all who asks.

Thanks everyone for the advice and input to the thread.

Paddy
Great outcome for you. Glad the dealer took it on the chin. Its easy to get a one of sale, but I always look to see how good a dealer is when things go wrong. Some get it massively wrong (Peter Vardy JLR in Aberdeen). Some get it right though with a good reputation through word of mouth, forum or social media and also with repeat business.

Health to drive!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How much was the new engine in the end then ?

What sort of warranty does that now have ?

paddy1001

RMS Regular
OP
paddy1001
N57 engine then? great... i have 2 of them on the drive lol
Not sure, it may be the same type but the M50d is supposed to have a heavier bottom end in it. A number of breakers told me it was a common problem in the 40d but not the M50d. Obviously there is the odd issue here :eek:
E8DAF284-3A48-487D-AB73-4662456B4485.jpeg

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I wonder did bmw give the dealer any sort of goodwill discount considering the fsh.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
So, time for an update.

I picked the car up today. The car, a 2016 BMW X5 with a full BMW service history has been fitted with a brand new engine, at zero cost to me. Paid for in full by the dealer who sold me the car.
My initial gut feeling on the dealer (born out of nothing only a general distrust of car dealers) was totally wrong, he couldn’t have done more to help me, he arranged pick up of the car at my house, he arranged a mechanic (highly regarded on here) to look at, assess, and repair the car, he gave me a loan car, he kept me informed me at every step of the way, calling me, sending texts and photo updates all the time. He also insisted on fitting a brand new engine to the car rather than a second hand one as in his words “I want it to be right”

This was customer service done right. At no stage did I have to argue with or harass or push the dealer to do things for me, he had it all covered from the beginning to the end, even following up afterwards to ensure I was happy with everything.

I am going to refrain from naming the dealership as I don’t know if he would want it publicised but safe to say I couldn’t be happier and would recommend him to anyone at all who asks.

Thanks everyone for the advice and input to the thread.

Paddy

Was it an independent dealer you bought from, or a BMW dealership?

Great outcome either way.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Fair dues to the dealer. Hopefully it’s reliable from here on for you.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
My friend was caught out too with his n57. He’s an engineer and has a mechanics part time but even rebuilding the engine himself was near 4k in parts 🤮

wibago

Banned
Drives
BMW
Hi All,

I am looking a bit of advice on a recent purchase. We bought a new to us car (2016 car with 77000 miles on it, high end car and expensive) at the start of November, in the just over 5 weeks of ownership we have put less than 1000 miles on it. Last night the engine suddenly developed a really bad knock, I have some mechanical knowledge and believe it has spun a bearing on the crankshaft and the noise is the piston contacting the head. There were no warning signs, no engine management lights and gauges remained steady. There are still no fault codes. Researching today has led me to believe this is a relatively common fault on these engines where the bottom end fails.
The car was sold with a 6 month premium aftermarket warranty that covers quite an extensive list of things, but with a £5k claim limit.
A second hand replacement engine is £8k from a couple of different breakers and they say they are very hard to find.

I obviously will be contacting the warranty company on Monday morning but am holding out very little hope of success with it, I don’t believe they will pay for a replacement engine, instead only change the failed parts, I.e. the bearings and possibly the crank, not the piston that battered the head nor flush the metal filings all out of the system.

I understand I have held out on a lot of details that may be important but at the minute I am trying to figure out my options without upsetting too many people.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What are my options and what should I do? I have a feeling (though it’s just my feeling) that the dealer may try to push it all through the third party warranty who will deny the claim and I will be left with a £10k repair bill.

All advice and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
Paddy
Hi. hoping you can help me with a worrying situation I’ve got with my discovery sport. I’ve had nothing but problems with it over the past 3 years mainly with the dpf which I ended up paying £2k to replace through the dealership last August 2021. Then yesterday the engine light came on and the dealership have confirmed that the timing belt has snapped and a new engine is needed at the cost of over £10k and also potentially the turbo which could cost another £3-4K!! The car has done 64,000 miles and is 6 years old surely this isn’t normal! The dealership have said they will contact JLR to see what they can do but it’s a long shot as the car is over 5 years old. I also don’t have an extended warranty. The car was serviced last September 2021 but not at the dealership. Has anyone else been in this situation and had a successful outcome with JLR/dealership? I also have outstanding finance on the car too just to add to the problem.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
It’s a timing chain that stretches not a belt that snaps

There is a goodwill policy already in place for this so it should get sorted fine - wait to see what the retailer gets back from JLR