EV Cars - Anyone selling or coming to the end of their PCP term.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Spent about 20 minutes scoping out roads, junctions & parking on Google street view for a trip to Banbridge two days ago in a ICEV 🙈

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
you will either love it or hate it and it depends how often you use a car and how often you do unplanned journeys.

I loved how my model 3 drove but in the end the hassle of it just wasn’t worth it.

I do a lot of miles, particularly at weekends. It meant using public charging which is extortion.

My bro ditched his too for the same reasons.

Both were cars with decent range too. To get the best out of one you have to really plan ahead and also adapt your driving. After 2 years and 30k I can honestly say it’s not for me.

If you can get a decent extended test drive in one I would before making the jump. They really aren’t for everyone

stuarti

RMS Regular
On our 2nd ev and the range is even worse than our first one in the cold weather, to the extent id barely drive it. It’s a Peugeot and the cold weather even at cautious speeds is ridiculously bad, like 90-100 against a 216 mile predicted range. Manufacturers don’t care. I’d say plug in hybrid is the way to go.

davyk31

RMS Regular
90 to 100 miles would be pretty useless unless someone lived in a town and only did short local runs.

Can’t see the sense of plug in hybrids. Charge it up and get maybe 20 or 30 miles and then you are onto generally a lowered powered engine that needs to carry the extra battery weight around. Full EV with a reasonable range is the answer as I see and by reasonable I mean around 200 is more than plenty for most users. And of course have access to a home charger.

My ID.3 was in Agnew’s there for a week getting a satnav issue fixed. They gave me a petrol manual T Roc which was a nice enough car but put about £50 of petrol through it and it was often feeling underpowered and far from smooth given it was a manual. Was so glad to the ID.3 back and enjoy the smooth quiet instant power and overnight charging for a few quid.
90 to 100 miles would be pretty useless unless someone lived in a town and only did short local runs.

Can’t see the sense of plug in hybrids. Charge it up and get maybe 20 or 30 miles and then you are onto generally a lowered powered engine that needs to carry the extra battery weight around. Full EV with a reasonable range is the answer as I see and by reasonable I mean around 200 is more than plenty for most users. And of course have access to a home charger.

My ID.3 was in Agnew’s there for a week getting a satnav issue fixed. They gave me a petrol manual T Roc which was a nice enough car but put about £50 of petrol through it and it was often feeling underpowered and far from smooth given it was a manual. Was so glad to the ID.3 back and enjoy the smooth quiet instant power and overnight charging for a few quid.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
A lot depends on the set up of the hybrid. The range extender type in the BMW works well. It’s always using the EV drivetrain and the small engine acts as a generator only.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
On our 2nd ev and the range is even worse than our first one in the cold weather, to the extent id barely drive it. It’s a Peugeot and the cold weather even at cautious speeds is ridiculously bad, like 90-100 against a 216 mile predicted range. Manufacturers don’t care. I’d say plug in hybrid is the way to go.

What car have you got and what’s the typical usage pattern? Given this has happened to 2 in a row you need to look for a common factor

Is it actually 90-100 or is that when you start to get worried about it? What’s the battery size and the distance per kWh that you are getting (should be available on the trip)

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

I had an Octavia VRs Hybrid on order for near 18 months before cancelling and buying the Model Y, one of the things that attracted me to the VRs was the range. It has a 40L tank and 12-13KWh battery and on mixed driving tests on Youtube it did over 600 miles and still had around 30 miles DTE.

Hybrids are a great stepping stone at the moment, especially if you need the extra range. EVs lose out in the cold when you first start them as they will condition the battery, but once warmed up your wh/mi will drop back down to where you expect it to be. The issue is when you're doing lots of short trips in your EV, each time you start it it's conditioning the battery at 400-500wh/mi and never actually finishes its process where you can enjoy the better efficiency.

For example, yesterday we had a jaunt out the road to Newry ≈20mi, when we started I was seeing 500+ wh/mi, however by the time we got there the average had dropped back to 300. That would give me a range of 190mi from a target of 240, or about 80%.

However, if this cold snap holds up and I'm just travelling back and forth from work, I would be surprised to see below 350wh/mi.

Gavlar

RMS Regular

New Prius plug in due 2024 can do 45miles on electric and uses a 2.0 litre hybrid engine with 200bhp so they're not all sewing machines

davyk31

RMS Regular
But what’s its efficiency like once it’s running on its 2 litre engine and lumping around a depleted heavy battery that it is trying to recharge?
I had an Octavia VRs Hybrid on order for near 18 months before cancelling and buying the Model Y, one of the things that attracted me to the VRs was the range. It has a 40L tank and 12-13KWh battery and on mixed driving tests on Youtube it did over 600 miles and still had around 30 miles DTE.

Hybrids are a great stepping stone at the moment, especially if you need the extra range. EVs lose out in the cold when you first start them as they will condition the battery, but once warmed up your wh/mi will drop back down to where you expect it to be. The issue is when you're doing lots of short trips in your EV, each time you start it it's conditioning the battery at 400-500wh/mi and never actually finishes its process where you can enjoy the better efficiency.

For example, yesterday we had a jaunt out the road to Newry ≈20mi, when we started I was seeing 500+ wh/mi, however by the time we got there the average had dropped back to 300. That would give me a range of 190mi from a target of 240, or about 80%.

However, if this cold snap holds up and I'm just travelling back and forth from work, I would be surprised to see below 350wh/mi.
And guess what an ICE car will also be considerably less efficient doing short trips in cold weather. It certainty isn’t only an EV phenomenon by any measure.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
But what’s its efficiency like once it’s running on its 2 litre engine and lumping around a depleted heavy battery that it is trying to recharge?

And guess what an ICE car will also be considerably less efficient doing short trips in cold weather. It certainty isn’t only an EV phenomenon by any measure.
Don't have figures or real life for the 2 ltr but we've a 1.8l Toyota hybrid that is returning consistent 58mpg in winter with AC on constant. Summer is 60s to mid 60s but I also run a roof rack with bike carriers then so imagine it would be better again

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

It's not even in the same league. Driving the same route to and from work in a Golf R all year round the mpg didn't really change too much, 26-30, 32 if I got a clear run at all the traffic lights. In the EV my best ever was 168wh/mi in the spring / summer, in winter I'm struggling to hit 240 as it's only a few miles down the road. That's almost 50% more energy for the same trip.

davyk31

RMS Regular
That’s certainly not the type of variation I am seeing. Best of summer getting 200 to 205 miles per charge, worst of winter 175 so it’s not much more than a 10% reduction. Same trips and same driving styles.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Evs are much more sensitive to temperature on short trips due to the battery temp

In an ICE due to the nature of the heat transfer cold weather doesn’t affect it as much and can actually make combustion more efficient with the denser air

davyk31

RMS Regular
Evs are much more sensitive to temperature on short trips due to the battery temp

In an ICE due to the nature of the heat transfer cold weather doesn’t affect it as much and can actually make combustion more efficient with the denser air
But it wouldn’t be normal to expect anything like a 50% variance would it?
A lot of my driving is short trips so I can’t really say how much an effect short trips have, my figures were just for my normal driving types comparing summer and winter.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
That’s certainly not the type of variation I am seeing. Best of summer getting 200 to 205 miles per charge, worst of winter 175 so it’s not much more than a 10% reduction. Same trips and same driving styles.
Longer the journey the less difference you will see. My commute is 5 miles.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
But it wouldn’t be normal to expect anything like a 50% variance would it?
A lot of my driving is short trips so I can’t really say how much an effect short trips have, my figures were just for my normal driving types comparing summer and winter.

There are too many variables to be certain of that

For example how the OEM balances cabin comfort with battery warm up - where do they send energy to and how much range are they willing to sacrifice to get cabin up to temp quickly etc?

In ICE the same decisions are made but with much less flexibility, basically water pump and thermostat control only

In an EV you can send as much energy as your heater can handle power wise straight there if you want

Alongside this you have motor and battery operating ranges which again vary by OEM

In my experience energy usage is high during that first 3 miles or so if you are demanding high cabin heat, seats, steering wheel etc

davyk31

RMS Regular
My commute is a whole 3 miles 😀 and my son normally gets in and slaps on the heated seats. Not exactly battery considerate 😀

Marynarz

RMS Regular
Drives
Alpina B3 Bi
Hi, l wanted to add to the debate, as someone who is on 2nd EV and having had 2 EVs in the household up until early December. Running both for 3 years. Kia Soul was a great electric car. 260 real life miles in the summer with normal driving. Motorway kills the range , -10-15%. Winter 200-220 (car had heat pump), heating did not affect the range in a big way. Seats and steering wheel negligible change to range. Best thing was it was mostly accurate in it's range calculations.
Peugeot e2008 was a great car, but not as electric car. Theoretical range 180, in the winter more like 90-100. The range meter was shocking, my wife would go to the docks and back (about 16 miles each way) and she would lose 60-70 miles of range.
As she was doing very low miles (13.5k in 3 years) this was still ok for her.
New car is a Skoda Enyaq coupe with a large 80kwh battery. Had it 4 days. Range is affected massively by climate control being on, l mean it goes up by like 45 miles when car is at 80% battery. Looks like it will do close to 300 in the summer and around 220 in the winter. That is more than enough.
One thing that needs to be mentioned is comparison to ICE cars. I have a bit of first hand experience, as l own a 3L petrol and 3L diesel. Don't want to compare to my petrol car, as it's a weekend toy with big power. Comparing to a premium 3L diesel SUV it's not even close. The Skoda is a better car in every way, no lag, no gear changes, no noise, you get to 40-60 miles per hour in a blink of an eye. For someone looking for a vehicle to use daily, there is nothing better. I am talking about cost (we have economy 7 and home charger), ease of use and suitability for town dwellers. Unless you are in an enviable position of cost no object car and you can run M5 as a daily, EV with a big battery is hard to beat.
And all of you that know me know l am a petrol head and go to a lot of shows and meets.
Was talking with a guy collecting our previous car and he said those E-trons coming back are not selling at auctions. Problem is the range, they are 150-180 miles car. That's why the depreciation is crazy on them. If you are looking a great EV - Kona, Niro, Soul are hard to beat for 2-3 YO. Great range and good acceleration.
Finally, l believe the car needs to fit your circumstances. We bought our diesel SUV for towing.
Sorry for writing a book here 😅

davyk31

RMS Regular
Some good real life info there. The Enyak Coupe are a good looking car.

Does anyone have any experience on the E Tron 55 models and does the range improve much on them.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I think they were mentioned previously that Audi can’t give them away as the range is terrible on the first etrons.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
55 is a fair bit better than the 50. A shade over 200 ish real world for the 55 I believe. Our 50 was supposed to do 180 but would have realistically achieved 140.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
55 is a fair bit better than the 50. A shade over 200 ish real world for the 55 I believe. Our 50 was supposed to do 180 but would have realistically achieved 140.
EVDB concurs

stuarti

RMS Regular
Hi, l wanted to add to the debate, as someone who is on 2nd EV and having had 2 EVs in the household up until early December. Running both for 3 years. Kia Soul was a great electric car. 260 real life miles in the summer with normal driving. Motorway kills the range , -10-15%. Winter 200-220 (car had heat pump), heating did not affect the range in a big way. Seats and steering wheel negligible change to range. Best thing was it was mostly accurate in it's range calculations.
Peugeot e2008 was a great car, but not as electric car. Theoretical range 180, in the winter more like 90-100. The range meter was shocking, my wife would go to the docks and back (about 16 miles each way) and she would lose 60-70 miles of range.
As she was doing very low miles (13.5k in 3 years) this was still ok for her.
New car is a Skoda Enyaq coupe with a large 80kwh battery. Had it 4 days. Range is affected massively by climate control being on, l mean it goes up by like 45 miles when car is at 80% battery. Looks like it will do close to 300 in the summer and around 220 in the winter. That is more than enough.
One thing that needs to be mentioned is comparison to ICE cars. I have a bit of first hand experience, as l own a 3L petrol and 3L diesel. Don't want to compare to my petrol car, as it's a weekend toy with big power. Comparing to a premium 3L diesel SUV it's not even close. The Skoda is a better car in every way, no lag, no gear changes, no noise, you get to 40-60 miles per hour in a blink of an eye. For someone looking for a vehicle to use daily, there is nothing better. I am talking about cost (we have economy 7 and home charger), ease of use and suitability for town dwellers. Unless you are in an enviable position of cost no object car and you can run M5 as a daily, EV with a big battery is hard to beat.
And all of you that know me know l am a petrol head and go to a lot of shows and meets.
Was talking with a guy collecting our previous car and he said those E-trons coming back are not selling at auctions. Problem is the range, they are 150-180 miles car. That's why the depreciation is crazy on them. If you are looking a great EV - Kona, Niro, Soul are hard to beat for 2-3 YO. Great range and good acceleration.
Finally, l believe the car needs to fit your circumstances. We bought our diesel SUV for towing.
Sorry for writing a book here 😅
Interesting your e2008 experience is similar to mine! Woeful !

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Interesting your e2008 experience is similar to mine! Woeful !

e2008 only has a 50.8kWh usable battery so if you are genuinely getting 100 miles to actually empty then you are getting 1.97 miles/kWh which is around the average really

In my I-Pace in winter I would get around 180 miles range with a 84.7kWh battery which equals 2.13 miles/kWh with mixed driving