F1 2022

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The LED thing is really just a gimmick. Hopefully not real but could see them brought in by the current owners.

Could also see FormulaE style "fan voting", "charge zones", etc. brought in by them. And other ways of randomising races and neutralising any lasting advantage, like safety cars and restarts. More emphasis on short sprints, etc.

We'll see how they go about things in 2022.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
The LED thing is really just a gimmick. Hopefully not real but could see them brought in by the current owners.

Could also see FormulaE style "fan voting", "charge zones", etc. brought in by them. And other ways of randomising races and neutralising any lasting advantage, like safety cars and restarts. More emphasis on short sprints, etc.

We'll see how they go about things in 2022.

Fans can't even be trusted to responsibly vote for driver of the day. Give it a decade and it will be a version of death race.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Not very conciliatory tones coming out of FIA. Doesn't give a lot of hope of anything substantial changing.

Found it quite funny in a quote he said ‘rules are rules’

AEFE4D3C-1F39-466B-898A-F4C0190AF7A4.png

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Not very conciliatory tones coming out of FIA. Doesn't give a lot of hope of anything substantial changing.

I mean im pretty sick of listening to merc crying, they lost cause of a bad decision, they aren’t the 1st and wont be the last. Get over it, move on and stop playing the sympathy vote.

If LH leaves it wont be cause of this, lets be honest he’s been relatively disinterested for some time, trying his hand at everything and anything. Tbh I thought a gd fight would of reinvigorated him and can’t see him leaving.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Agree it's time to move on, one way or another.

We'll see if there are any "clarifications" from FIA about how they will run things next year, and if there will be any changes to governance.

It's not just Mercedes and Lewis either. A lot of teams up and down the grid are unhappy the way things have been run this year, with TV ratings taking precedence over anything else, and all the inconsistencies and random decisions that go with that.

Either way I think Lewis and Toto will either stay or leave together.

Max and RB won't give a single one either way 😅 😅 😅

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
It's not just Mercedes and Lewis either. A lot of teams up and down the grid are unhappy the way things have been run this year, with TV ratings taking precedence over anything else, and all the inconsistencies and random decisions that go with that.
Oh, I thought it was just that nasty Merc team and Lewis complaining and nobody else ever 😜

Eddie stirring the pot and brought out some eejits 😂

Screenshot_20211218_102821_com.instagram.android.jpg

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I mean im pretty sick of listening to merc crying, they lost cause of a bad decision, they aren’t the 1st and wont be the last. Get over it, move on and stop playing the sympathy vote.

If LH leaves it wont be cause of this, lets be honest he’s been relatively disinterested for some time, trying his hand at everything and anything. Tbh I thought a gd fight would of reinvigorated him and can’t see him leaving.

Time will tell if Redbull fans see it the same way when a rouge desicion costs them a championship.

Given how many reacted at Silverstone, I'm sure if the shoe was one the other foot they would have stormed the FIA building with Horner at the helm by now 😂

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE

Excuse me, that’s the 2021 season, this thread is for the 2022 season! 😝😘😂
Oh, I thought it was just that nasty Merc team and Lewis complaining and nobody else ever 😜

Eddie stirring the pot and brought out some eejits 😂

View attachment 344291
Rules are rules unless it’s the last lap of a championship deciding race……

Oh crud, now I’m talking about the 2021 season!! 😅

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Back to the 2022 season and predictions…..

I think Ferrari will be a force to be reckoned with. Read something today that they are “getting power figures they would expect from their rivals” without using the split turbo design. They are using something innovative (hopefully not the oil burning design from 2020 😬).

Red Bull have put a lot into this season but also have Adrian Newey. The new ground effect philosophy is a total change. I would expect them to have a competitive car from an aero perspective and it will be interesting to see if they go with a similar high rake design. Reading between the lines, their engine will essentially be a Honda with almost full factory support.

Merc have put a lot into this season. I still expect them to be competitive. It will be interesting to see how Russell gets on if he is close on pace with Hamilton.

Would be nice to see McLaren back up at the pointy end. Historically they are good when rules are revised.

I’d really like to see a midfield team (Alpine, Aston, Williams or even Hass) nail the new regs and catapult them selves up the rankings al la Brawn. The change in design philosophy to ground effect with less reliance on complex body aero and bigger wheels might allow someone to nail it. I think the floor/side pod designs will be interesting to see how the venturis are used to blow the rear diffuser/wings at the rear of the car. There seems to be a lot of scope for teams and hopefully someone comes up with something innovative. I suspect the political power of Merc would shut down any team that gains a significant advantage though.

Also, looks like Audi are in for 2026. (Althoygh, not the most reliable of sources it has to be said)

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The Audi thing is the same old same old doing the rounds on the click-bait sites :innocent: Maybe more likely to be a Porsche engine once the new engine regs kick in (if they ever do...). But even that is speculation.

Anything actually coming out of Audi at the moment is them going full electric, supporting those kinds of sporting series, and moving away from "traditional" racing. They are even sponsoring an all electric "hoonigan" car for Ken Block.

But who knows, stranger things have happened :cool:

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
Would be nice to see McLaren back up at the pointy end. Historically they are good when rules are revised.
On recent form they haven’t been
2017: They dropped back from the progress they/Honda made in 2016 (6th to 9th)
2014: Remained more or less on par with 2013, which wasn’t a great season (remained 5th)
2009: Went from championship contending team to occasional podium contenders at the start of the season (2nd to 4th)

I’m hoping though that the reason Ferrari had the better car in the second half of the season, is due to McLaren focusing more on next season. But I’d love to see Ferrari up there as well next season along with either Alpine or Renault.

A season similar to 2012 where 5 teams have race winning cars would be great and hopefully realistic.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Binotto said a few months ago that Ferrari haven't made as much progress on their 2022 car as they would have liked and he doesn't have high hopes for next season.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just from that picture it looks like a completely different car. Definitely not an iteration or evolution of what's gone so far.

Sorting out who has played within the rules or not will take some time 🤫

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Just from that picture it looks like a completely different car. Definitely not an iteration or evolution of what's gone so far.

Sorting out who has played within the rules or not will take some time 🤫
With the rule changes for this year all the cars will be drastically different