F15 X5 - owner experiences

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
I am looking to upgrade the years/lower miles from the e70 and for the price they are now it’s hard to look past the F15 X5.
What’s owners experiences of them? I can’t imagine they are too different?

Ideal upgrade would be a discovery 5 3.0 but can’t make the man maths work.

Any other suggestions in this field? Horror stories have put me off a Range Rover Sport but happy to be corrected

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Thanks for the tag @Lyons, more than happy to share my ongoing experience as it's been brilliant so far.

The neighbour has a E70 M50D so have been able to compare the between the two.

F15 is obviously a big step up inside over the E70 as you'd expect, newer I drive, customisbale ambient lighting, alot quieter too. Certainly a big step forward in terms of a luxury SUV over the last car.

I think the only thing that is not a improvement in the F15 is the Transfer case what I've been told, but that doesn't mean the F15 has transfer cases issues. I do believe they are a lot more sensitive to running odd wheels sizes and tires non-star rated tyres etc.
I've just stuck with star rated run flats and mines 100%. You can tell if the TC is having issues when you pull away hard, the car will feel like it's pogoing.

Make sure you've one that has a had the rear air springs replaced, preferably with the bilstein units as these are double skinned rather than the single skin the original ones use (same part as the E70 actually).
If they've not been replaced, you'll need to do them! If you notice the car sagging when you come back to it, it's not a sign they've started to go it's a sign they've been going a while and they're on the last legs. The compressor has probably been working hard for a while now to keep them pressurised as you drive.

The bags not expensive on their own, £160 per spring if I remember right, but the issue is that as they leak the compressor is constantly working to keep the pressure up and the piston in the compressor gets wore out. Currently there seems to be no rebuild kit like there is for the old ones, and BMW only sell it as a whole unit. Which was about £1400.

Luckily Colm Highland worked his magic and I got this mostly covered under warranty, a little bit of excess to cover as I want to use the better bags and OEM compressor. So I would advise getting a good warranty if buying one that hasn't had this sorted yet. Ours had only just hit 40k and needed this done.

Other than the air suspension, which is inevitable, and the TC which is avoidable, nothing big seems to go wrong on these provided you look after it and it has been looked after. There are a few service bulletins out about wind noise because of door seals etc, but I've not had any complains there.

Biggest benefit IMO other than an updated cabin and looks, is the newer gearbox.
The extra gearing/gear and the ability to pop it in Eco mode( makes the car rear wheel drive, and allows it to coast) helps a lot on the fuel. On a recent trip to Kerry in a fully loaded car and not hanging about we averaged the high 40's. Which is great considering the weight they are and how much luggage we had.

I've the 40d and it's more than enough power for how I drive the car, it's a quick as the E70 M50d. I know the E70 has a bit more power but the better gearing in the F15 I think helps here.

Obviously there is the M50d F15, but if I was to buy another one I wouldn't be hell bend on getting that over a better specced 40 or maybe even 30.

I've got a reputation for mentioning this too much, but I'll risk it once more. The comfort seat option.... it's a must IMO the standard seats are far too hard and just crap, maybe it's just me but when I'd a x5 as a rental for work I couldn't stand the seats on the long drives.
The X5 in M sport guise is sprung a bit firmer even in Comfort mode, so you need the soft seats to balance that out. Comfort seats are what should have been standard and make the car feel like a luxury SUV.

Usually advice on the M performance kits, just make sure you're not paying over the odds for one that has it fitted as most have fake kits on.

Front Brakes are about £400 odd, rears £160. That's BMW prices, if I remember right. Something to bear in mind if they've not been done.

Servicing isn't bad, major service was £400 last time I was in, that included the brake fluid flush.

Loggie

RMS Regular
OP
Loggie
Drives
Sierra
@greyfloppyhat thank you for taking the time to write that and highlight the pros of going from the e70 and the things to look out for. It’s extremely useful and much appreciated!

I had wondered if I will regret going from an e70 40d to a 30d but I can get better spec/lower miles for the budget if I don’t go for a 40d this time.

Had the same issue with the rear springs on my jeep was surprised how reasonable it was to fix but I think it’s the horror stories of the compressor you always hear if left untreated.

I have a dealer in England I’ve used previously sourcing me one from Monday so looking forward to getting some options to choose from. Thinking silver or white this time but will see what he comes up with.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Had one myself previously with trouble free motoring for 2 years and loved it. They look a bit dated now with the newer model available though IMO.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Bit of an off topic, mate has a 2012ish e70 3.0d xdrive with just 50k on it, broke down on him the other day, mechanic had quick look suspected fuel pump.Anyone know are the pumps on these known to give issues and what sort of £ to expect?