Ford 1.0 Ecoboost timing tools

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Put this back together in November and ran it for a few weeks myself before giving it back to the daughter again. Holding steady temps, no oil contamination and no misfiring etc. Running like a champ until Wednesday there when it wouldn't start for her after work. Head gasket seems fine but plugs were wet so looks like the weld has failed or we just didn't fully dig out the crack. Great craic altogether. Been footering at it for a few hours on Thursday, Friday and today. Not done another leak check yet but pretty convinced that it's cracked again, seems damp enough in the exhaust port for sure. Head gasket confirmed to be good so all points to a crack.
20240106_173826.jpg
20240106_173843.jpg
20240106_173903.jpg

Head dismantling and leak check tomorrow.

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
The pile of parts that have to be removed to get at it properly is hilarious, obviously a lot quicker at it this time but still a big teardown. When I think of the number of heads I've taken off various engines over the years, this has definitely been the biggest handling to get apart.

Bit of a disappointment but what's the alternative? Sell it off broken for nothing, take a chance on a 'Remanufactured' engine or just try and fix it? The wbac value of it (unfrigged) is just over 4k and we are into it for another 1.5k in parts now. I'll do another leak check with the pikey setup and literally see what the craic is and then decide what to do.

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Out for an hour or two to dismantle and clean the head and get it back into the pikey leak check rig...
20240107_164213.jpg
20240107_164221.jpg
20240107_163608.jpg

Weld porosity towards either end of the previous weld. Will get them dug out and filled in. (y)

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Out for an hour or two to dismantle and clean the head and get it back into the pikey leak check rig...
View attachment 421746View attachment 421747View attachment 421748
Weld porosity towards either end of the previous weld. Will get them dug out and filled in. (y)

Welding cast aluminium (god knows what crap is in it) is a nightmare

We struggle all the time repairing tooling. Can end up trying to fix a pin hole and turn it into a complete mess. Sometimes we end up just digging a decent amount out and welding it.

Fair play taking that on yourself!

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Not me doing the welding, a good friend, I'm just the monkey spinning the spanners lol.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Fergus rather than your pikey leak test you could maybe try one of the aerosol crack testers?
Might highlight any microcracks that develop after the weld cools?

Edit; no disrespect towards the pikey leak test as it is ingenuous!

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah was thinking that myself but since it's porosity rather than cracking, a high pressure leak check with paraffin or kerosene is best I'm told. I picked up the head today from welding, it was leak checked a few times during the process and appears to be OK. I'm going to give it a final check with kerosene tomorrow before building it back up. Got to check the valve clearances again as they were right on the minimum limit during the last rebuild and it has to be done before the head is on the car.
Fun fun fun!

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Being honest, I never looked for one, just assumed they'd be only available from Ford and mega money.

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Got back at this last night after a couple of weeks for various reasons, got the new stem seals installed and then valves/springs etc and checked the clearances. Had a few over or under spec and figured that a few swaps will sort a couple but still needed 2 new followers to sort another 2 that I had nothing to swap with. Ordered those this morning and can put the head on the block while I'm waiting for them to arrive. Glad to be back into it and hoping that it'll work this time. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🙏🙏🙏

Fun times.
20240207_105406.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Out for another hour or so tonight, checked my subtraction was right on the swapped followers and then gave the head and block a last clean and popped it on. Going away this weekend so I'm keen to get this as far as I can before I go.
20240207_210344.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
20240208_170135.jpg

Overnight parts from Essex, more tinker time tonight. Yeooooooo

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
I think I first got this in August last year with a 'water leak ' which quickly turned into a what I thought was a thermostat housing as there was a damaged/dozed seal. In amongst that, a downpipe / cat flexi needed cut out and welded in, 2 snapped studs in the turbo housing, gearbox torque mount, bent steering arm, 4 new tyres, new wheel nuts and an alignment. Got an MOT on it in September and thought that was it. A week later it was back with what I initially thought was just a hgf but turned into a complete oddessy.

It's been a bit of a journey but gotta keep at it, it's not going to fix itself, unfortunately.

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
I can't reach up out of the rabbit hole to find the feckin matches lol

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
20240224_195659.jpg
Spent last night and today in between other activities getting a few heat cycles into this again. All seems dry and running well so hope tae feck it stays that way. Timing it up was a mission, the crank pulley moved on the final 90 degree pull which meant starting again so that was 2 nights just to get that right. Didn't help myself by doing a multi venue autotest last Saturday in the mx5 and having some car prep to do for that but helps keep me a bit more sane. Pulled the strainer out of the pickup and gave it a good clean too, wasn't much in it but with it being apart a couple of times I just wanted to make sure it was all clear.
20240219_202419.jpg
20240219_202404.jpg

Hoping I don't see the inside of this again for a very long time, or, ever tbh.

FM155

RMS Regular
OP
FM155
Drives
Alfa 155
Some extensive road testing and further check, everything appears good with no leaks so it's going back with the daughter today. It's been real and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun... :joy: đź‘‹
20240225_164112.jpg