Wanted: Gaming monitor

wes

RMS Regular
Id be interested in a gaming monitor for my ps5, around the £100 mark around 27" screen, 100hz or more not too clued up on them if im honest.
Or advice on them seen a nice lg 27"gl850 on gumtree and Benq 24" 2540k but know idea haha

JCM

RMS Regular
Drives
E39
Just a heads up not all gaming monitors can take advantage of ps5. You’ll need one that has hdmi 2.1/vrr to make use of 4k 120Hz. Otherwise it will just display at monitors native resolution at 60Hz.

Reactions: wes

wes

RMS Regular
OP
wes
Just a heads up not all gaming monitors can take advantage of ps5. You’ll need one that has hdmi 2.1/vrr to make use of 4k 120Hz. Otherwise it will just display at monitors native resolution at 60Hz.
Cheers 👍

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
I've had an LG 27GL850 on my gaming PC for over 3 years, with 6000 hours on it without issue. I also use it working from home full-time, so don't judge me on how long it's been used in that time! :blush:

No experience with PS5 but both my sons have one, so I'd be happy to connect one and check how the PS5 runs on it?

I've been considering finding a second as my mismatched second monitor annoys me. Gumtree you say? :p

wes

RMS Regular
OP
wes
Was reading theres a couple of settings to turn off (adaptive sync and hdmi compadibility mode) on the lg monitor to get the best out of it or the 120hz mode, yeah the gl850 was the 1 i was looking at, have been sick over the weekend so wasnt much point in contacting the fella yet

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
8K a
Was reading theres a couple of settings to turn off (adaptive sync and hdmi compadibility mode) on the lg monitor to get the best out of it or the 120hz mode, yeah the gl850 was the 1 i was looking at, have been sick over the weekend so wasnt much point in contacting the fella yet

I'll fire the youngest's in tomorrow before work and see what the PS5 detects and what it runs at over HDMI. It runs at 144hz on the PC but that's with DisplayPort. I've been blasting God of War on it anyway as it lives in our bedroom. Might as well play it during, er, breaks!

• Haha

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Did some testing. Doesn't support VRR over HDMI (does on PC with G-Sync and DP) like @JCM said, it lacks HDMI 2.1. It was only detected as 60Hz at 1440p, but then I turned off adaptive sync on the monitor like you said and it picked it up as capable of 120hz SDR (monitor isn't good enough for proper HDR anyway). Had a look to see what games were installed or on PS+ Extra that support 120hz at 1440p and tested Miles Morales. I didn't notice any issues, but the lack of VRR support could cause issues if frame rate drops.

Adaptive Sync on:
PXL_20240312_123010155.jpg

Adaptive Sync off:
PXL_20240312_130405094.jpg

Miles Morales with the monitor OSD showing 120Hz 1440p.
PXL_20240312_130638398.jpg

wes

RMS Regular
OP
wes
Ps5 updated in 2022 to support vrr but computers are above my pay grade haha cheers for the update 👍 i contacted the fella about the lg should be collecting tonight before work decent monitor for the price
(Ahh it seems the vrr doesnt work with all monitors or tvs)

wes

RMS Regular
OP
wes
So picked up the Lg 27gl850 the difference between it and my tvs and projector, your able to make out far more details id struggle to read names on my tvs etc haha, seems a great job 👍