Getting into motorsport

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

odhranmck

have a wee 1.2 corsa that i would be interested in turning into a wee rally car and was wondering what was involved in getting it rally legal? at the minute car is standard bar coilovers and wheels

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I was in a similar quandry last month and decided to take up lanes rallying. Awesome fun and cheap as chips!

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
What sort of rallying do you want to do?
Have you done any motorsport before?
How much do you want to spend?
Do you have to use the 1.2 corsa or are you open to buying a different car?

odhranmck

OP
odhranmck
I am willing to do any kind just to get me started but i preferably would want to use the corsa and use second hand parts. how much would ye reckon it would cost and is the corsa not suitable at all? i also have the ca transporter here if thats any help.

odhranmck

OP
odhranmck
I am willing to do any kind just to get me started but i preferably would want to use the corsa and use second hand parts. how much would ye reckon it would cost and is the corsa not suitable at all? i also have the ca transporter here if thats any help.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I think the RallySport Association used to have a class for 1.2 Novas and Corsas but I don't know much about RSA events. If your car is standard you would probably be better to buy an already prepared car, they used to come up for sale fairly often for little money.

For actual MSA stage rally a corsa is fine and people have been rallying them since they were new, but there wouldn't be much entertainment is using a 1.2 engine. If you are very young there is a F1000 class in the NI championship for 1.0 cars.

The other option is to leave the car standard and try some Targa rallies. Targas are probably your best way to start if you have never done any motorsport before. The next event is the Summer Lanes which is based in Baronscourt Estate, near Omagh.

Targa Dates:
http://www.anicc.org.uk/Discipline.aspx?d=17

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.