Global Warfare IDC Mondello (Live Stream)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
Irish Drift Championship goes from strength to strength. The quality and depth of talent right through the field is unreal.

So many highlights from today, hard to pick a fave. Fink vs Shanahan was blinding. Incredible speed, precision and angle.

Kiely was a worthy winner in the end, by the tiniest of margins.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Few bumps had from any social media I seen. Fink gets a good roasting from local boys too

Cess

RMS Staff
Fink seems to love playing the villain. Certainly helps build the atmosphere, but the guy is more than a pantomime character - he can drift!

The wall claimed a few victims, including Saito. But the standard is crazy high. I mean Kiely and Shanahan are still at school. Plus Deane and Colfer came first and second in Drift All-Stars in Sweden yesterday.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
It is high. But one thing I pick up... It's now a huge money bag sport. Years ago your average guy could make a reasonable attempt at being competitive.

Sad I missed it. She was working so never went down as odly enough none my mates are into it but she enjoys drifting.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
It is high. But one thing I pick up... It's now a huge money bag sport. Years ago your average guy could make a reasonable attempt at being competitive.

I heard that one of the main competitors' parents remortgaged their house to help fund their son's drifting!! :eek:

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I heard that one of the main competitors' parents remortgaged their house to help fund their son's drifting!! :eek:
Top level motorsport without top level sponsorship backing seriously impacts life choices for sure, that wouldn't surprise me!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Top level motorsport without top level sponsorship backing seriously impacts life choices for sure, that wouldn't surprise me!

If he makes it in the sport then perhaps it will all work out well, but is there much money in it for the top competitors?!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Nop. Only if you get proper good and get proper sponsorship and start to compete in Europe or further afield. No money in Ireland for it

But that's thin on ground. At 2 grand per event easy even if you break nothing. And builds that are running to 50 grand plus. Closer to 100 probably for some
These boys like fink mentioned above are probably ok. But that's world level competitors. These boys get more or less nothing in IDC in comparison.

Worse about it is the boys come over, borrow a car to do the event, bend it and hand the keys back. Sorry about that.. Lol

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
If he makes it in the sport then perhaps it will all work out well, but is there much money in it for the top competitors?!
I think to clarify 'money in drifting' - if it comes close to covering major costs, then that would be the top level. There is no wage to be had! Those with enough sponsor support not throwing a lot of their own capital behind it I would say are in the single numbers.

Unfortunately there is bound to be a lot of debt with those pushing up to get to that top level, and for some it will some day sweep them off their feet. This isn't exclusive of drifting of course.

Cess

RMS Staff
I guess the goal for the Irish guys is to try and pick up a Formula D drive - like Kearney, DMac and Flat Eric did.

Drifting could be on the cusp of becoming the next big global motorsport formula. And when it does, Ireland is in the box seat as the island has the experience, the knowhow, the talent and competition to back it up.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Like most professional drivers, when you reach the top you maybe don't get a huge wage, but instead you live a lifestyle and never actually have to "work" as such as when you do something you love you really don't have to work a day the rest of your life.

That lifestyle in itself is hard graft living from a suitcase and never seeing friends and family so hats off to those that make it, people lust after such a lifestyle but its not one that is easy at all!

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Was at this today with @collyirwin11 great day out. Few bursts of rain but didn't seem to stop the absolute flat out driving from some of them!

Really enjoyed the drifting, and was my first ever drift event. The sounds off the motors was something to behold in itself. Crazy to think two 15year olds where the finalists. At what age do you start that/where do you start at that age/how do you start? Lol too many questions. Really enjoyed the Fink/Shanahan battles, and can't beat a good crash lol

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Mckeever started arsing about at the end of his road lol when about 10 lol. As did most. Helps if your born into it.

A we video of his first proper slap a good few years ago

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Really enjoyed the drifting, and was my first ever drift event. The sounds off the motors was something to behold in itself. Crazy to think two 15year olds where the finalists. At what age do you start that/where do you start at that age/how do you start? Lol too many questions. Really enjoyed the Fink/Shanahan battles, and can't beat a good crash lol

Well, I've had a 12 year old drift past me in a 180sx at Eglinton before. Never, getting out to check damage again lol

Those two 15 year olds made the final 4/8 (can't remember which) last year at IDC round 5. They had just qualified from the semi-pro the day before :scream:

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Well, I've had a 12 year old drift past me in a 180sx at Eglinton before. Never, getting out to check damage again lol

Those two 15 year olds made the final 4/8 (can't remember which) last year at IDC round 5. They had just qualified from the semi-pro the day before :scream:

That is crazy, full respect to them.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Keily and Shanahan are both unreal, i had said Shanahan for the win from the start and wasn't far off lol

Felt bad for Dmac with his car being wrote off!

Round 5 is going to be unreal! Saito, Kearney and Nishida's cars have all arrive in Ireland and are going to round 5 so i would say there is a big chance the 11 year Irish streak could be going!!

Have a few videos from yesterday must get them up. Im still recovering from the sunburn lol

Cess

RMS Staff
Yep, agree.

Give Saito his own car and we'll get a chance to see how good he really is. He danced that 180sx through the wet, but it struggled in the dry.

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
The standard of driving was unreal! Some serious money at the top now! Could and does rival any drift series in the world now!

Every round is streamed live from the idc site, always worth a watch if you can't make an event.

@collyirwin11 glad you enjoyed it, I have your umbrella, I'll get it to Torrance to give it back to you.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
As said. Give them boys there own cars and best get some bubble wrap ordered for that trophy to head outa here in a suitcase

Is it confirmed that there own cars are coming?

I would like to see that round. To save me googling what dates 5?
Edit for others

Link to rest of the dates
http://www.irishdriftchampionship.com/events/

Shaun

RMS Regular
As said. Give them boys there own cars and best get some bubble wrap ordered for that trophy to head outa here in a suitcase

Is it confirmed that there own cars are coming?

I would like to see that round. To save me googling what dates 5?
Edit for others

Link to rest of the dates
http://www.irishdriftchampionship.com/events/

The cars were supposed to be here for this round but the boat was apparently late, they are due in this week and are staying here which im surprised about at its another 2 months till round 5 lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.