Golf R the new Civic Type R?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

colin84

RMS Regular
I'm kinda raging I didn't go for one, I ended up getting a 535d instead and it's cost me a fortune, and I could have been driving a new car. Although I think I would have had mine in white or there's a nice grey in them.

Banned
OP
If you got a drive in one, you'd understand why they're popular. Mix that up with the cheaper than normal lease deals a few months back and you will see why.

However, sometimes I find myself spotting one around here it usually turns out to be a GTD, I haven't actually seen that many GTI's at all!

Arent they similar to the Audi S3? Anyone driven the S3 and the Golf R? Would be interested to hear the pro's/con's from both.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
There's Golf R estate deals around just now £2k down then £269 inc vat a month with 8k a year allowance.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
afaik they share the same engine and platform, but the S3 is a bit less hardcore (intentional, no doubt).

Stocky

RMS Regular
Wouldn't of been me then lol

or me

@WSM and myself had a little blast as well

11390359_10153987251108228_1862713796271989667_n.jpg

Conor

RMS Regular
Arent they similar to the Audi S3? Anyone driven the S3 and the Golf R? Would be interested to hear the pro's/con's from both.

Yup, Golf is better to drive but the S3 interior is miles better. You've won with either TBH.

@Mickylad, don't suppose you were on the M2 Belfast bound around 4 yesterday? Heard some boy in a Grey M3 couldn't shake you! :party:

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Yup, Golf is better to drive but the S3 interior is miles better. You've won with either TBH.

100% true, I found the Golf R a lot more involving to drive, very strange as they are practically the same car.

Overall I could not be happier with it, for the price of the lease I got there was nothing that came remotely close. I use it day in day out and it's perfect. Truth be told i prefer it to my old rs4, it's a better all round car, which for what it costs is amazing..

Mickylad

RMS Regular
Drives
M2Comp/i3

Yeah, they're exactly the same platform so they are, albeit a little less aggressive.

@Mickylad, don't suppose you were on the M2 Belfast bound around 4 yesterday? Heard some boy in a Grey M3 couldn't shake you! :party:

@Conor I was indeed, heading to Downpatrick. It's funny I wasn't actually going to have a go because the car is running standard form, I had an E46 M3 before, and these are much sharper once they have a bit of work done to them.

Lets just say, 0-60mph 3.9 seconds and 0-100mph 9.45, it can surprise a lot of folk.

Conor

RMS Regular
Yeah, they're exactly the same platform so they are, albeit a little less aggressive.

@Conor I was indeed, heading to Downpatrick. It's funny I wasn't actually going to have a go because the car is running standard form, I had an E46 M3 before, and these are much sharper once they have a bit of work done to them.

Lets just say, 0-60mph 3.9 seconds and 0-100mph 9.45, it can surprise a lot of folk.

Even as standard though, I think I mentioned on here before Dad's R felt every bit as quick as my car up to 100 or so.

They're just an awesome bit of kit.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
There are at least 2 Golf R's in our work carpark here in Belfast, probably more on other sites. I would still own one, I think they look great and go like stink!

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
As I've said in other threads - if you truly enjoy driving, then judge a car on its merits, not on how many people own one. The Golf R is one of the best cars in its class so to dismiss it because there's a few on the roads would suggest you're more concerned with image than the car's ability.

When it comes to performance cars, there's really no such thing as common - I see Type R Civics very often for example, but they still only represent a small portion of overall Civics on the road.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Exactly. If a car's popular amongst performance fans, it's usually either because it's very good or it's got very affordable. The Golf R is still new enough to not be a cheap buy (setting aside lease deals), so it's down to ability.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If there was no cheap lease deals there'd be hardly any around. If it was the same money for a new Focus ST or Civic Type R there'd be just as many of those sold. Good car granted but common (as common as it can be) due to the lease deals.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
If there was no cheap lease deals there'd be hardly any around. If it was the same money for a new Focus ST or Civic Type R there'd be just as many of those sold. Good car granted but common (as common as it can be) due to the lease deals.

All the more reason for a few tweaks to set it apart from the crowd ;)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Personally it wouldn't bother me if there was 1 million of them on our roads lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.