*HELP NEEDED*- DC5 Brembo Conversion on an EP3 CTR?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cricmcn

RMS Member
Drives
FD2 CivicTypeR
As above ^

Bought A full DC5 brake set-up for my EP3.

This comprised of the following;

DC5 Brembo Callipers,
DC5 Discs,
DC5 Hubs,
DC5 alloy lower arms,
DC5 wish bones.

Went to do the conversion today and got a phone call from the mechanic saying hes got into diffs.

Basically when he has put the whole thing together the Wheels are sitting out past the arches approx 10mm.. leavin it that the tyres will hit the wings over bumps etc!

Anyone on here any experience of this being done? I know its been done on a few Ep3's before but cant get any info from people on it at all!

Any help is greatly appreciated! (y)

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Done a few, but never had any trouble whatsoever that i can remember

However, IIRC, EP3 has an offset around +43 whereas DC5 has an offset of around +60ish - which is where your extra 20mm of space has disappeared too.

Ill have a dig around for you

Tell him to roll the arch and pul it a little - it'll be grand :p

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
Are you not suposed to use the EP3 wishbones and that will keep the hub in? NineK is the man to find out tho.

cricmcn

RMS Member
OP
cricmcn
Drives
FD2 CivicTypeR
Done a few, but never had any trouble whatsoever that i can remember

However, IIRC, EP3 has an offset around +43 whereas DC5 has an offset of around +60ish - which is where your extra 20mm of space has disappeared too.

Ill have a dig around for you

Tell him to roll the arch and pul it a little - it'll be grand :p

Yep if you can mate!... He has come up with a few ideas such as trimming down the hub bolts etc but all that will be doing is weakening it!.. you can also rebore the ball joint on the ep3 wishbones for the DC5 arms to fit which will pull the bottom of the wheel in the 10mm I need but will leave the wheel sitting out at the top which is knocking the geometry way off!

Just bought my new rota torques yesterday (offset et45) to fit the Brembo callipers :sob: lol.

Was talking to Thumper yesterday Bronk, he seems confused by it aswel.

Have read off a few storys where exactly the same thing has happened

Heres one;

As for the Brembo conversion,well I bought all of the required parts but after closer inspection it seems as though they still wont just bolt into place?
Apparently if you use the Lower Control arms froma DC5 Integra the track of the front wheels is widened enough to cause the tires to catch on the wings when you hit a bump? (Thus ripping them clean off the car!) If you try to counter this by cambering the wheels in you ruin the insides of your tires in no time due to incorrect tracking.
The solution (apparently) is to use the original EP3 LCA's and mate them to DC5 hubs by modifying the tapered hole at the end of the control arm to accomodate the DC5 hub bolts (The difference in these two bolt holes on the ends of the LCA's from DC5 to EP3 is apparently around half an inch or 12mm) This can be done by careful extraction of the excess metal in the EP3 arms with a dremmil or air powered grinder.
You need to make sure this work is accurate because the holes are tapered and if you make the openings too big the hub bolts will rattle and cause all kinds of problems. This method seems to be the best of both worlds, retianing the standard suspension and steering geometry whilst letting you use the DC5 hubs, discs and Brembo calipers (but it's difficult).
Alternatively,there is another school of thought which says that you can shave 6mm off the mounting lugs on the back of the Brembos, this brings the original EP3 disc into the centre of the caliper and allows all the clearances for it to work, but you have to stick with your original OEM disc which is both smaller and poorer quality compared to the Brembo discs used on the DC5 Integra. I'm guessing that Brembo with all their years of manufacturing and testing made these mounting brackets that size for a specific reason (Strength). So why decrease their strength by milling these brackets down to around half their original size? It all sounds a bit dangerous to me. Either way its a ballix! lol.
My advice is don't try it, my project seems to be becoming a bottomless pit of money and time! Stoptech or K-Sport kits are cheaper and easier to put on. But I'll stick some pics on if I ever get it sorted!

This might leave it abit clearer what I mean, because my mechanical knowledge is ZERO lol.

Cheers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.