help needed with sub

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

nitzno1

RMS Regular
Drives
none at minute
as above ive all my amp hooked up in my boot and its powering i have 6x9 i wana hook up to it can anyone help i tried it earlier but no music outa them? i posted couple pics just to show were im at IMG_20150226_184353.jpg IMG_20150226_184409.jpg

nitzno1

RMS Regular
OP
N
Drives
none at minute
naw i tried the speakers into the screws u see in the picture but im gettin no joy should there be heavyier cable?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
In the settings of the head unit.

What head unit are you using?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
The left rca looks bust on the back of the head unit.
The screws on the amp are far too long and you risk shorting something to the case.
You really need to test for power and earth with a multimeter, or 12v tester.
The light coming on at the amp is no guarantee that it is earthed, as it can earth though the rca shield.

I'm out!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It looks as though the power wires are wrong on the amp.

Usually the remote wire (small skinny wire) which comes from the head unit to tell the amp when to turn on, is usually in the middle terminal.

Can you get a pic showing the terminals from the top?

nitzno1

RMS Regular
OP
N
Drives
none at minute
naw its in the rem terminal lad wen i turn car on it goes on then wen off it goes off all is good in that department im puzzled lol

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
OK, I'm back in - not wanting to see a car go on fire!

if you put up some focused pictures in place of the fuzzy ones, it would help diagnosis! There seems to be straggling wires coming from the remote connection - this is a no-no. Get some ring terminals and crimpers to make a decent connection to the Amp's power screw-downs.

Where have you made the other connections? If you've "earthed" to the seat-belt anchor then again, it's a big no-no unless you scrape the paint off both sides of the physical interface. Once the earth has been made, it is necessary to paint over the bolt to avoid oxidisation - a half-hearted earth point will cause much pain when seeking audio nirvana.

An amp screwed into a seat back will possibly give huge interference problems due to earthing differentials - it's best to screw a bit of wood onto the back of the seat, then use short screws to mount the amp to the wood, making sure the amp casing does not touch metal in the seat frame.

The power connection should come from the battery and be fused within 18" from the positive terminal.

Firstly - you should have, and know how to use, a multimeter before undertaking any electrical work on a vehicle. It's easy theory to learn, and you can get the knowledge from u-toob

Happy auto-sparking

D

p.s. - In my 28 years of experience in this game, I've found that it's better to save up for each component and build a system bit-by-bit. You seem to have bought or inherited some real tired audio equipment with no warranty - coupled with rank inexperience of installing it can only lead to a bad place with much fire and gnashing of teeth!! :worried:

nitzno1

RMS Regular
OP
N
Drives
none at minute
ok thanks cartunes il look into that yea friend give me his audio he hardly used i just wanted some tunes from the 6x9 wile i save to get bigger outfit....il look see if i can get dome ring couplets

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
The RCA cables are connected to the Subwoofer outputs on the head unit, surely they should be connected to the Line Out ouputs on the head unit as he's using the amp for 6x9's and not a subwoofer? Just a thought, I'm no expert.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.