Help / Wanted - space saver wheel for 2013 mx5?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Hi,
Does anyone know if its possible to get a space saver wheel and tyre for a MK3.5 2013 Mazda MX5? My wife has one but the boot isn`t big enough to fit a full size wheel.
Thanks in advance.

Dave

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
We have a mk3.5 anniversary model, 2009 from new. They don't come with them, you get a tin of tyre sealant foam to get you to a garage. I was advised not to use it as the foam is a pain to get off the alloy and just use recovery instead.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
We have a mk3.5 anniversary model, 2009 from new. They don't come with them, you get a tin of tyre sealant foam to get you to a garage. I was advised not to use it as the foam is a pain to get off the alloy and just use recovery instead.

I know about the foam pita :grinning:
I got a spare for my 86 from a Legacy, the mazda 6 alloys fit but are too big to get into the boot.
There must be a rim somewhere that fits.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Apparently from a quick google, the space saver from the RX7 and RX8 will fit the NC MX5 so if you can find one of those you're golden. Trouble is, if you are unlucky to get a flat, change the space saver over, what are you going to do with the alloy with the flat tire? The boot is too small to accommodate it.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
Apparently from a quick google, the space saver from the RX7 and RX8 will fit the NC MX5 so if you can find one of those you're golden. Trouble is, if you are unlucky to get a flat, change the space saver over, what are you going to do with the alloy with the flat tire? The boot is too small to accommodate it.

:grinning: Good point, I hadn`t thought of that,..... My missus would probably leave me behind and bring the wheel home!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
what are you going to do with the alloy with the flat tire? The boot is too small to accommodate it.

You keep a bungee cord in the boot for that eventuality! Have to drive slow anyways with the wee space saver on.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
You keep a bungee cord in the boot for that eventuality! Have to drive slow anyways with the wee space saver on.

Found the answer, get a trailer to carry the spare. :grinning:
Looks like we will be using the breakdown cover.

corsacj

RMS Regular
I've a similar problem with the mk1 I have, has a space saver but if I put that on the alloys on it are too wide for the boot lol

Bungee cord is where it's at, although you will be loosing a good chunk of boot space!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Jeepers it must be tiny! The TT had a great boot.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
My old MK3 2.0 sport came with a jack and wheel brace to jack the car up to rotate the wheel for filling the tyre with that repair gel guff.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Jeepers it must be tiny! The TT had a great boot.

MX5 MK3 (or NC) is tiny!

02.jpg

09.jpg

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Found the answer, get a trailer to carry the spare. :grinning:
Looks like we will be using the breakdown cover.
The other option is run flats but it's a lot of expense in the first place without having to then replace it with another runflat if you do get a puncture.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
run flats would ruin the ride in the mx5. Don't do it!

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Thankfully the previous owner of my Focus speced it with a space saver, as the standard tyre foam Ford provide make the tyre unrepairable, and costs something stupid like £90 to replace and it has a shelf life too

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
Thanks everyone.
The morale of this story is to use the GT86 on MX5 club runs :scream: :grinning:

rotor_dude

RMS Regular
Drives
Rotary Power
the rx7 FC has a 15" space saver, steel wheel, black
the rx7 FD series 6 has a 16" and series 7/8 has a 17" space saver, both alloy wheel and bright yellow :grinning:
both 5x114.3PCD

also useless info, rwd put the space saver on the front, most times have to swap around,
as if driven too long on the back can damage the gears in the diff, due to different outside diameters
although i wouldnt like to drive too far with different width/diameter wheels lol steering be fun like
hence why most honda cars you cant fit the space saver on the front :grinning: space saver is designed not to fit over caliper etc

Last edited:

rotor_dude

RMS Regular
Drives
Rotary Power
can you not weld a bracket to the bonnet like land rovers and keep the spare there ?
or one of those chrome brackets on the boot and mount spare there :laughing:

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
can you not weld a bracket to the bonnet like land rovers and keep the spare there ?
or one of those chrome brackets on the boot and mount spare there :laughing:

Great ideas but I will let you tell my wife :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.