I bought back my old mk5 GTI

DJR Media

RMS Regular
Drives
2012 Audi S4
So a bit of an update. First up I tackled the rust underneath. Luckily my mechanic is really sound and left me a set of keys one weekend and let me have a go at tackling the rust in his workshop. When he saw the mess I made, he might of regretted it. :joy:

I had no idea what I was doing, but basically, grind off all the rust, some primer, white stone-chip, then some Candy white. How hard could it be? Really hard. Any bits I couldn't reach, I sprayed with rust converter before I covered it. Fingers crossed it keeps the rust away in the future.

View attachment 356469View attachment 356470View attachment 356471View attachment 356472

View attachment 356475View attachment 356476View attachment 356477View attachment 356478View attachment 356479View attachment 356480

Rear subframe looked like it was brought up from the Titanic. Got another from a scrap yard which was then sandblasted and powder-coated.

View attachment 356473View attachment 356474

KW V2's coilovers and Whiteline anti lift kit and front/rear anti roll bars purchased from Blackline fitted.

View attachment 356481

Powervalve exhaust system with a 100 cell sports cat fitted.

View attachment 356482View attachment 356483

S3 brakes next to the original front calipers.

View attachment 356484View attachment 356485View attachment 356486View attachment 356487

The car then went off to Blackline to have the suspension set-up and alignment done. Along with a Helix LUK dual mass flywheel and performance clutch kit installed.

Also had the clutch master cylinder replaced and an upgraded S3 Darkside intercooler installed but I didn't get a picture it fitted before the bumper went back on.

View attachment 356489

I purchased an upgraded fuel pump from Awesome GTI, a new intake from REVO and a K04 turbo kit from Facebook marketplace. Apparently the turbo has been rebuilt in the last year. So should get me 300+bhp easy enough. The car is currently at autotune having the turbo fitted, looking forward to seeing it on the Dyno!
View attachment 356492
View attachment 356490
Just curious but did you fit k04 injectors and the 200 bar rail pressure sensor and rs4 frv?

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Just curious but did you fit k04 injectors and the 200 bar rail pressure sensor and rs4 frv?
The K04 kit is as follows;
Ko4 turbo
Ko4 Injectors
Ko4 Relocation pipe work
Ko4 Boost Pipes
Ko4 Charge Pipe
3 bar map sensor
rs4 valve
200 bar rail pressure sensor

Fuel pump is an upgraded Autotech one.

You also need an upgraded intercooler and a bigger exhaust. I went with an upgraded Darkside Audi S3 intercooler and a Powervalve turbo back exhaust with a 100 cell sports cat.

If you have all that, you can get the stage 2+ map and the kind of horsepower I got.

DJR Media

RMS Regular
Drives
2012 Audi S4
The K04 kit is as follows;
Ko4 turbo
Ko4 Injectors
Ko4 Relocation pipe work
Ko4 Boost Pipes
Ko4 Charge Pipe
3 bar map sensor
rs4 valve
200 bar rail pressure sensor

Fuel pump is an upgraded Autotech one.

You also need an upgraded intercooler and a bigger exhaust. I went with an upgraded Darkside Audi S3 intercooler and a Powervalve turbo back exhaust with a 100 cell sports cat.

If you have all that, you can get the stage 2+ map and the kind of horsepower I got.
Was just seeing if you fitted the fuel sensors as it could be linked to misfire codes your getting, very rare these engines would do a head gasket

Got a K04 setup on my vRS with 365bhp and 366ftlb

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Was just seeing if you fitted the fuel sensors as it could be linked to misfire codes your getting, very rare these engines would do a head gasket

Got a K04 setup on my vRS with 365bhp and 366ftlb

Very nice!

I think it has to be the gasket. The blue liquid test, plus the rusty spark plug are the biggest giveaways.
Is it rare for these to blow gaskets? I can’t believe I just sold a reliable Subaru STI usually known for gaskets going, and bought a usually reliable FSTI with a blown gasket. 🤦‍♂️

DJR Media

RMS Regular
Drives
2012 Audi S4
Very nice!

I think it has to be the gasket. The blue liquid test, plus the rusty spark plug are the biggest giveaways.
Is it rare for these to blow gaskets? I can’t believe I just sold a reliable Subaru STI usually known for gaskets going, and bought a usually reliable FSTI with a blown gasket. 🤦‍♂️
It’s not common a failure very rare to see happen, take it you’ve had compression and leak down tests done ?

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
It’s not common a failure very rare to see happen, take it you’ve had compression and leak down tests done ?

Not yet. Going in into the shop this week for a diagnosis. Guessing a compression test and leak down test is what they’re going to be doing?
Here’s the instructions for the test kit I used. Also looking at the service history, the spark plugs where just changed before I bought the car. So that spark plug went rusty in a the space of a month!

F4245494-A6C1-4AE5-AAE5-73CC1F8381E4.jpeg

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Very nice!

On the plus side, they're much easier to get to, and there is only one
I hated doing my old Impreza rocker cover gaskets never mind trying to get the heads off with the engine in place

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Got the car sorted today!!

Took it to DR Automotive in Ards last week. Ryan assured me it definitely wasn’t the head gasket. And the Amazon tests are a load of rubbish.
He checked a few things and decided it was likely the ECU that was faulty.

So I took it back to Autotune today with a used ECU from eBay. They transferred the old tune onto the new ECU and no more check engine lights!!
Car is running better as well. It was popping and banging loads before, I just thought it was the map. But now it’s not doing it anywhere near as much. Well chuffed. (y)

Last edited:

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Got the car sorted today!!

Took it to DR Automotive in Ards last week. Ryan assured me it definitely wasn’t the head gasket. And the Amazon tests are a load of rubbish.
He checked a few things and decided it was likely the ECU that was faulty.

So I took it back to Autotune today with a used ECU from eBay. They transferred the old tune onto the new ECU and no more check engine lights!!
Car is running better as well. It was popping and banging loads before, I just thought it was the map. But now it’s not doing it anywhere near as much. Well chuffed. (y)
Was just catching up on this and went from very bad back to good very quickly for me but that must have been wild for you! haha you must be chuffed.

Sound like your mechanic is a keeper, plenty of boys would have cracked on there!

white sport

RMS Regular
Drives
cosmic ep3
These are not really knowing for head gaskets, good results always see driving bout Belfast lovely example

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I took the Golf to a track day last Sunday at Kirkistown, which went ok. I had fun but the car wasn’t without its issues, even though I was taking it reasonably easy.

The clutch is doing this thing where it sticks halfway when coming up, only on right hand turns. Which isn’t great for a clockwise circuit. I know what the issue is, I think.
The output shaft in these gearboxes start to get play in them. There is a shim kit which can take the play out. I’ve tried fitting the kit but there isn’t enough play in the shaft to fit the shim. So I’ve ordered some skinnier shims to try.
Also the car started to get hot. The needle crept up 3/4 a couple of times. A cool down lap brought it back down again.
Then on the last session I was getting big vibrations on braking. So I’m worried I’ve warped the discs.

Then the biggest problem was discovered today when it had its post track day oil change. 2 random bits of metal were found in the oil.
I honestly have the worst luck with cars! Although maybe tracking a highly tuned car with over 100k miles on the clock wasn’t the greatest idea.
Anyway, the current plan is to just keep driving it, and if the engine does eventually give up. Then go find a used Golf R engine.

EA102FFF-682B-4E0E-B409-834B3EFDDE7C.jpeg
50858BE1-A222-4A55-97B5-24681426D12F.jpeg
3BD04079-FD2F-40FB-9D6A-71E9777F74E2.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It’s a lot to ask of any car never mind one with decent miles running near twice it’s standard power.

Hopefully those metal chunks aren’t anything important

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Just sent the oil away for analysis. I bought the Millers test kit when I was worried about the gasket. Will be interesting to see what they say, I’ve never done an oil analysis before.
A3E9705E-D4F9-4367-A3E6-BA86ADCF7F49.jpeg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I took the Golf to a track day last Sunday at Kirkistown, which went ok. I had fun but the car wasn’t without its issues, even though I was taking it reasonably easy.

The clutch is doing this thing where it sticks halfway when coming up, only on right hand turns. Which isn’t great for a clockwise circuit. I know what the issue is, I think.
The output shaft in these gearboxes start to get play in them. There is a shim kit which can take the play out. I’ve tried fitting the kit but there isn’t enough play in the shaft to fit the shim. So I’ve ordered some skinnier shims to try.
Also the car started to get hot. The needle crept up 3/4 a couple of times. A cool down lap brought it back down again.
Then on the last session I was getting big vibrations on braking. So I’m worried I’ve warped the discs.

Then the biggest problem was discovered today when it had its post track day oil change. 2 random bits of metal were found in the oil.
I honestly have the worst luck with cars! Although maybe tracking a highly tuned car with over 100k miles on the clock wasn’t the greatest idea.
Anyway, the current plan is to just keep driving it, and if the engine does eventually give up. Then go find a used Golf R engine.

View attachment 365849View attachment 365850View attachment 365851
Would one of the VW gurus on here or on a group on Facebook or the like not be able to give you a best guess of what that is? Might be worth a try anyway.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
im guessing youve filled it with oil again? but might have been worth taking the sump off to see what else was lying in it. they near enough look like the ends of thrust bearings

I didn’t think about checking the sump. I fitted a magnetic sump plug previously. And the bits where stuck to the plug. So guessing it would of picked up anything else if there was any.
Would one of the VW gurus on here or on a group on Facebook or the like not be able to give you a best guess of what that is? Might be worth a try anyway.

I posted it on my build thread on the mk5 GTI forum. I’d guess Facebook would just be a bunch of keyboard warriors telling me the engines f**ked.

Gambit

RMS Regular
I didn’t think about checking the sump. I fitted a magnetic sump plug previously. And the bits where stuck to the plug. So guessing it would of picked up anything else if there was any.
plenty of non ferrous metal in there also. its hard to tell from the pics but those bits you have got look like theyve taken a bit of a battering rather than something just breaking off

Oil analysis will prob tell you something but id still be taking sump off to see what else is in there :worried:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
im guessing youve filled it with oil again? but might have been worth taking the sump off to see what else was lying in it. they near enough look like the ends of thrust bearings

My thoughts too when I saw them.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
My thoughts too when I saw them.

So the mk5 gti forum didn’t fill me with much confidence. Ever heard of crankwalk? That’s the worst case scenario atm. It’s when you fit an upgraded clutch, (which I’ve done). Then the thrust bearings wear down and the crankshaft moves side to side.
Symptoms include weird clutch pressure!

:sob::sob: