Insane Nascar race finish

KevM

RMS Regular
They should make an example of him and ban him for life. He could have flipped the fence and ended up in the grandstand

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
They should make an example of him and ban him for life. He could have flipped the fence and ended up in the grandstand
pretty sure riding the wall prevents its flipping?

there is nothing in the rules to say you cant do it, but by sounds of it i suspect they will now add it!

KevM

RMS Regular
1667818310737.png

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yet.
I'd say if it becomes a regular thing to do and you have some backmarker doing it every race, it'll soon get shut down.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
There's bound to have been someone done it before, maybe less obviously than him.
Not sure how you'd police it unless it's allowed only if there's no other way through.
Like if 1st and 2nd place are battling it out and 3rd approaches with more speed than them, the only gap being nearer the wall and he scrapes past on the wall . . .

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
There's bound to have been someone done it before, maybe less obviously than him.
Not sure how you'd police it unless it's allowed only if there's no other way through.
Like if 1st and 2nd place are battling it out and 3rd approaches with more speed than them, the only gap being nearer the wall and he scrapes past on the wall . . .
apparently been tried but never worked but new gen cars allowed it to work this time

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Watched a few 'analysis' videos about it and not one mentions the risk of it climbing the wall and the catch fence and taking out a section of the crowd.
I guess they are all assuming the catch fence will do it's job, but maybe it wouldn't if it was approached in the same way. (Flat out, 5th gear, 130mph entry speed, 70mph faster than the rest of the field at that point)
Clean nuts.

Andy55

RMS Regular
Interesting move and I can see the potential danger aspect some raise but doesn’t it sum up motorsport in general? Teams and their drivers play within the boundaries of the rule book until the loophole they are exploiting gets closed, rinse and repeat.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
To a certain extent, yes, but if it had gone over the wall and into the crowd (which is not a small risk), the conversation would be a lot different.
Most of the things that teams and drivers do are to gain an advantage without endangering spectators. I'm a motorsport licence holder and I'd fully expect to have the book thrown at me if I pulled a move that put bystanders or spectators in danger, a lot of the drivers briefings contain a lot of stark warnings about behaviour on events and interactions with the public for good reason. I know the states is a bit different as is NASCAR but they had fatalities before catch fencing and there were calls for NASCAR to be banned then, I don't imagine the conversation would have been much different now.