Ken Blocks latest, Gymkhana #7 - The Hoonicorn

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
Class, love these vids.

Love the bit around the doughnut shop with the lovely clean lines, that's what it is all about, first takes ;)

As for his skills, It's fair to question them imo, I've no doubt he is a far better pilot than me but hardly sets the world alight apart from these cleverly edited videos. He tends to be slow and more crash prone than Kubica in the WRC. He only makes selected apperances now he was that poor at it.

There has been plenty apperances from other DC riders too, rob Drydek and travis Pastrana etc, surprised there isn't someone in this one.

Proper entertaining though, if I had his money, I'd like to think that is what I'd do with it.

WRC is a different kind of Kung foo though and the crashes are simply because he is proper mental behind the wheel, no fear whatsoever. Remember, he unlike pretty much everyone else did not set out to be a driver. He made his millions then thought right, this could be good fun.

GRC is IMO the best motorsport series running presently and watch him in that he is right up there.

Really really nice bloke though is his most honourable trait it seems.

Yea must try and find out why no other people in it with him, agreed with the would have been better chain of thought

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
^ love that video, watched it quite a bit and also started looking at mustangs

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Couldn't believe it when I seen the subtitles come up after 10 odd minutes, waiting for something to happen.

Thought he would have at least slid between the 3 cop cars and 1 civilian car on the highway, or got a bit of air once in a while.

Disappointed in this 1 personally.

That video @johnboy888 posted is much more entertaining.

dannydnn

RMS Regular
He can do a bit of sliding about for his sponsor but when I comes down to it in Wrc and Rally America he gets slaughtered by real drivers. Red bull on the other hand have Loebs achievements and not doing too badly in F1. Saying that it's always nice to see a bit of AWD sliding and smoke lol

Trust me, he can drive and I mean really drive !! The 4/5 days isn't for him really more for camera work

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
He can do a bit of sliding about for his sponsor but when I comes down to it in Wrc and Rally America he gets slaughtered by real drivers. Red bull on the other hand have Loebs achievements and not doing too badly in F1. Saying that it's always nice to see a bit of AWD sliding and smoke lol

Leob is an odd comparison, he is widely regarded as one of the best drivers of our time. Ken's profile is such that he is always going to be picked on for his flamboyant character and that is what lines him up for people to always throw the odd rally failure into the mix.
Consider this, like I already said these 'rally' drivers he gets compared too have in some cases spent their entire lives striving to become rally drivers, nothing else. He is different and came from a totally different background, he never even intended to become a rally driver, all he tries to do is have as much fun as possible with cars and if he wins he wins, it is the very fabric of his entire team and both they and the entire GRC paddock love him for it.

Last round in Vegas a few weeks ago was text book. Ken won every single round inc the final and did not put a foot wrong scoring maximum points every run but if championship leader Joni Wiman finished second or higher he took the championship. Ken could not have done any more and on the last lap Wiman was lying 4th thus Ken would have won, Wiman then takes the joker and just got out in front of Scott Speed & Bucky Lasek taking second literally on the last lap and the championship with it.
What did Ken do, starting doing donuts around Wiman as a tribute to him moving him to tears. Awesome spectacle.

Like I say, GRC as a spectator sport the best there is right now and I absolutely love it.
Ken as driver is a bloody good one and thats not just my thoughts either, I'd welcome anyone to watch him live in the flesh and claim differently. As a man he is one of the nicest you could ever meet and always refuses any praise instead directing that to his team.

I think the Dude is a legend

10755882_409586262524631_617635980_n.jpg

dannydnn

RMS Regular
he never even intended to become a rally driver,

He had intended and tried to be a rally driver long before GRC was even a thought of Redbulls CEO, competing in rally america from 2005 and trying to get into WRC since around the same time. But apparently his team didn't appreciate him totalling the car any time he took it out.

KevM

RMS Regular
Nothing new, any reasonably competent & confident driver could do that.... We just wouldnt be allowed to close LA lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Block isn't much of a driver IMHO

He is a playboy who is having fun after making his fortune

He is also making more fortunes by doing this mortorsport by promoting his and many other brands

For that I can honestly say it's the "same old" but I do enjoy seeing the same old from Ken as he is living the dream, and dreams are what we live on

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
I don't think people appreciate how tough the WRC actually is.

Think how good the likes of Donnelly or Andrew Nesbitt were. The WRC drivers are on a different level again so there's no shame in getting blown away by Sebastian loeb.

Block is a fantastic driver.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Love that car, what a build :grinning:

Who gives a monkey's if Loeb or Ogier or whatever are quicker down a rally stage - each to their own, apples and oranges and all that (y) Block has still done well enough in rally cross, etc. Hat off for making a living out of enjoying himself.

Agree the main new thing is that car though, but nothing wrong with that :cool:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A bit like saying that Loeb is a rubbish driver because he is not world champion of GT racing, or WTC...

Maybe not a rally driver, Block only drives that on holidays after all. But has been pretty handy at rally cross. And is obviously doing something right to get the sponsors in for anything from rally cross to making these videos to the odd holiday drive in the WRC or whatever.

I could name several rally drivers who certain people rave about here (me too!), yet who have never won a championship, or would ever be a patch on a Sebastien.

Is everyone else "rubbish" who is not named "Sebastien", or has not won the WRC? Pretty narrow view of the world that...

Last edited:

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
Can't understand this thread at all.

Look at his car control. It's outstanding. Being slower through a stage than Sebastian loeb is nothing to be ashamed of.

You hear stuff on these forums like my mate Jonny from Banbridge is "a great pilot" because he stepped his 325i out at junction one, yet Ken block "isn't much of a driver"

Bizarre.

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
^ I have actually been wanting one of those to play in for a while now - must try harder !!!

johnm

RMS Regular
We talking about the blonde on the steps or......?
With a lottery win, me and the mates would have an island and them to just arse around in with a couple of differs thrown in to make new jumps.

dannydnn

RMS Regular
I never said he wasn't a superb driver but for someone that's been coined as a great rally driver from the day he sold dc shoes he doesn't have much to back it up. I'm talking before grc was a thing.
He raced every Rally America from 2005 so could hardly say he was part time, if he made it to the end of a stage he usually finished on the podium but he consistently retired 5 out of the 9 races that they had year after year.
Just to add Loebs 3rd place first season out at WTCC is pretty impressive if you ask me.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.