Lanes/Targa Rallies

KevM

RMS Regular
You were goin well John! We had a good race at your mate in the blue car before the battery came adrift!

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Aye I was sitting 1st after the first 6/7 but it went down hill after that. Clutch just started slipping amd couldnt put the power down on any hills. Must have got a drop of oil or something on it as it sort of came back to life later on and we went from 18th I think to 10th. A lot of fixing to do for the next day out.

Brilliant event all the same. Well run and brilliant "tests"

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Cheers man really appreciate it. you the guys in the 306?

I was 1 of the fellas at letterbin stage giving the motivational less traction more action speeches, you boys where going well.

Ah right, didn't realise that! Sorry to disappoint with the lack of 'reek'. I mustn't have her screwed far enough :p

@John_MK5 did yous not get finished? You seemed to be really tight with us a couple of others on the penultimate results sheet, then not there on the final one.

KevM

RMS Regular
Aye I was sitting 1st after the first 6/7 but it went down hill after that. Clutch just started slipping amd couldnt put the power down on any hills. Must have got a drop of oil or something on it as it sort of came back to life later on and we went from 18th I think to 10th. A lot of fixing to do for the next day out.

Brilliant event all the same. Well run and brilliant "tests"

Ack sure I couldn't get grip anywhere but it definitely wasn't the clutch! We weren't straight all day, even in third gear, but that's half the fun! :p

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Ah right, didn't realise that! Sorry to disappoint with the lack of 'reek'. I mustn't have her screwed far enough :p

@John_MK5 did yous not get finished? You seemed to be really tight with us a couple of others on the penultimate results sheet, then not there on the final one.

No we definately finished up. The final results arent showing up on rallyscore for me. were 10 o/a on time card 4.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
It was a very good event though hard on the car. 3 times the fuel pump emergency cut off triggered on big bumps, twice in exactly the same place. the floor is bent up, the sumpguard was bent up halfway round and I don't want to think what shape its in now. lost a sideskirt on probably the last test too. Great fun though. Thanks to @cauld1 .

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Did anyone get punctures on Saturday? I'm interested to know if the people who get punctures are using the same brand of tyre or anything. See if we can collectively pick out the ones with soft side walls that should be avoided in future.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
afaik Allan Harryman had 2 punctures. Think he was running on uniroyal rainsports. I've punctured at least 3 of them in the past..... but then... I kinda punctured most things.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I had 2 uniroyals on the back (think they are rain masters) and they didn't puncture. Eco kuhmo KH31's lasted well too.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I had very well used pair of kumho ecsta kh11 on the rear and an old hankook and barum bravuris (me either) on the front. No punctures, in fairness i was only running sweep but was still going through the tests fairly hard! My exhaust on the other hand...is knackered.

Glad to hear that the event was enjoyed by competitors, makes the work our team put into it well worth it. Many thanks to all who came to it to compete as well as those who stood out all day to marshal.

DavyC

RMS Regular
..Only catching up here now.. What a day! A few frustrations, mainly with grip and trying to get moving again after a stop/go areas on upward slopes, but what a rally!.. Real endurance test for both car and crew!

Im sorry man, we coached a few boys on that much we nearly had a few massive crashes on that. the highest we gave was 7 so you were in the top 10percent
@jayme ..Nice to know the Marshalls are there for our safety! lol!.. Dont think we would've scored highly when leaving you's, but think we might have 'arrived in style' at the finish when your test was reversed. A bit of craic with the marshalls always brightens the day up! I genuinely dont know how you's manage to stand all day watching us ejits pretend to drive, and still crack a smile!
..The wee Mini was mint too, very nice!

Ack sure I couldn't get grip anywhere but it definitely wasn't the clutch! We weren't straight all day, even in third gear, but that's half the fun! :p
Along with me taking ages to get settled in and grow a set of b@lls as usual, lack of grip was my biggest frustration. I thought I'd be smart and scrub off two ancient miss matched tyres that were lying (full tread Continental eco something and full tread Michelin xv something).. Big mistake!.. There was one particular time we stopped with a marshall on a reversed test (not even sure if we had to as we didnt see it on the diagram).. and about 4 attempts to get moving, rolling back a little each time looking for a grippy bit... To add insult to injury, the two tyres have hardly suffered at all and look like they could do the same again 5 times over! lol!... Should it cost me £50 in petrol and make me dizzy doing donuts, I WILL scorch these plastic w@nkers to the wire!.... OR I could 'kindly donate' them to our very own puncture king @RComms.. (slowing him down a little in the process!;)).. Well done on the result by the way, and @John_MK5 too, you's were going well!

One funny part of the day was meeting @Super at a merge and trying our damnedness to get away from them!.. You say you were trying hard to catch, and I say I was trying as hard to get away! Was a real good race pushing each other on!.. (y)... Have to say we were on fire tho!!.. Not driving fast or anything, just on actual f?@king fire!:eek:.. Just as we got a whiff of smoke, @Super was flashing. We pulled in and the smoke started coming up through the centre console and from under the bonnet!... Turns out our MX is quite the baler and had gathered up a load of grass between the diff guard and exhaust / diff etc!.. Bit of excitement and thanks again Kevin for the heads up! lol!

Finally, Thanks @cauld1 for for your efforts in organizing this!.. Pass it on to the old fella and the rest of the team too!. We realize we probably dont know the half of what needs to happen to make these rallies work, but always go home aprreciating everyones efforts!

Last edited:

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Yep forced induction and 4 wheel drive not allowed. However the way a lot of modern cars are going it could change in the future.
Can I disconnect the wastegate and run a standard map? Lol

That's a pity :worried:

DavyC

RMS Regular
So, the general round-up seems to be, rough as hell tests, really sore on cars, above average amount of damage, but given half the chance, we'd all do it again next weekend in a flash?

I know I would!! :grinning:(y)(y)
Yip!.. Count us in, see you on Saturday for the re-run!

On the subject of tyres, I think pressures should be consdiered too as running soft could be harder on side walls?.. I got the two Uniroyal rainsports and Toyo T1R's through Dungannon with 35psi in each (perhaps a little hard I know).. Then punctured one of the Rainsports on the rough stage of PMC with 30psi (tho it was really rough and wonder if any other tyre would've defied that stone! lol!)... Then for Summer lanes had 30psi all round.. the two indestructable mismatched tyres mentioned above were fine but one of the Toyo T1R's has slowly went down (dont know if it's side wall or among the tread yet!)..