Maintaining Ceramic Coating

mikerd4

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
I picked up a new car yesterday and the previous owner had coated it in Cquartz Sic. Ive no idea if its a decent coating but it looks good from what I can see so far. Question is whats the best way to mintain the coating to get the longest out of it? Whats the best detailing spray for light dust etc?

I love washing/polishing/waxing a car so its killing me not to get to work on the car but there is no need as its spotless

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Cquartz is decent - pretty sure I had it on one of my cars, the Scirocco jumps to mind initially but may have been my Cayman

Personally, for light dust, I would never wipe a car down as you can still marr the paint - just take the time to rinse and dry

With regards to maintenance, just depends on how often you drive and wash the car

Once you stop seeing a decent hydrophobic reaction (beading), then the surface requires a decontamination and sealant. So, apply fallout to remove deposits and tar remover if needs be, possibly clay the car to get everything off the surface. Then, once washed again, apply a spray sealant or wax (if you want, I have done both)

If you dont have an air dryer, I would personally invest in one instead of drying towels/chamois - this will aid in protecting the paint from touch drying

davyk31

RMS Regular
Washing occasionally with a fairly aggressive shampoo will help a lot too as will the occasional spray and rinse with something like A Kem Citraclean.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
CarPro do 2 great shampoos. Reset for maintenance washes and DeScale maybe every 4th wash. @Davey@Procar stock a good range of CarPro stuff. Elixir is a great QD too. I've not tried the version 2 of their spray sealant Reload but I wasn't a big fan of version 1.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Found best shampoo for me was Autoglym HD. As Boydie says, if you see a reduction in hydrophobicity, then use some fallout remover after washing to unclog the microscopic hairs that make up the ceramic coating, then final rinse, followed by dry off, either using resin vessel and/or blow dry to reduce contact with the paint.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
There's some great advice above re the Ceramic Beeding to be decontamination from time to time.

Garage therapy Decon Shampoo is an excellent product. I worked my way through several ceramic 'toppers' and found IGL Premier to be very very good indeed.

Try to avoid Shampoos with wax or surfactants in them, as this will clog the coating. Tar remover, fallout remover, decon shampoo and a ceramic topper are what you need. If you e a black or dark coloured car, you'll likely need a water spot remover too (which my last 3 series was absolutely wild for).

Cheers.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
There's some great advice above re the Ceramic Beeding to be decontamination from time to time.

Garage therapy Decon Shampoo is an excellent product. I worked my way through several ceramic 'toppers' and found IGL Premier to be very very good indeed.

Try to avoid Shampoos with wax or surfactants in them, as this will clog the coating. Tar remover, fallout remover, decon shampoo and a ceramic topper are what you need. If you e a black or dark coloured car, you'll likely need a water spot remover too (which my last 3 series was absolutely wild for).

Cheers.
Water spot remover is probably the biggest problem I have.

SB3 Destroy, water spot remover used on wash mitt while washing a few panels at a time works well for me. Rinse, fallout remover etc etc.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
It's silver so hides waters spotting well.

Igl premier?
This?
That's the very stuff. If you're tempted, buy a smaller bottle as it can go off after a few months in the bottle. So unless you have several cars to look after, the larger bottle may prove to be a waste.

I actually forgot to mention another useful product - Labocosmetica Purifica - it's a Decon snow foam.

Last edited:

chris9696

RMS Regular
Drives
Guilia QV
Gyeon restart wash is very good, actually smells much like iron remover so ideal for coating decontamination - I used it on Sunday and noticed a big difference before and after it really unclogged the coating